PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's Swimming @ AAC Championship - Extend Lead

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's Swimming @ AAC Championship - Extend Lead

Postby Water Pony » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:55 am

DALLAS – SMU men's swimming and diving put together another outstanding performance for the second night in a row at the American Athletic Conference Championships. A handful of SMU swimmers took home medals including freshman Cotton Fields in his record-breaking swim.

Robby King got the night started for the Mustangs, taking home the silver in the 500 freestyle final. King posted a B Standard time of 4:22.41.

The 200 IM proved to be one of the most exciting races of the night as Fields pulled off an incredible victory, finishing just ahead of teammates Jack Easton and Colin Feehery. The first-year Mustang set a meet record with his time of 1:44.63. All three of SMU's top finishers hit NCAA B marks.

SMU Junior, Justin Baker defended his title in the 50 freestyle with a B Standard time of 19.66. Cole Bruns (20.03) took the silver, while Lance Butler and Riley Hill tied for bronze at 20.09. This was a career best for Hill. Charlie Kaye and Joe Rusnock also set career bests in the race.

The Mustangs finished the night with a bang, winning the 200 free relay title with a meet record time of 1:18.19. Baker, Bruns, Lance Butler, and Hill were crowned champions for SMU.

After the second night of competition, SMU leads the Bearcats 439-328. The AAC Championships will continue tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. on ESPN+ at the Robson & Lindley Aquatics Center and Barr-McMillion Natatorium with swimming and diving prelims.

Score After Day Two
SMU – 439
Cincinnati – 328
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Men's Swimming @ AAC Championship - Extend Lead

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:27 pm

Thanks for the update, WP

I have to ask a silly question.

You are showing SMU & Cincy only, is that because they are the only 2 teams competing?

If so, why?
SoCal_Pony

Postby Water Pony » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:57 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Thanks for the update, WP

I have to ask a silly question.

You are showing SMU & Cincy only, is that because they are the only 2 teams competing?

If so, why?

SoCal_Pony.

Not a silly question. Only two Men’s programs in AAC. With the pending exit of the Bearcats to the Big 12, our Men will need to find a new conference for Swimming & Diving. The Women had five teams in the AAC championship, two of which, Cincinnati and Houston, will be heading to the Big XII too.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:34 pm

Any chance we could go to the B12 for swimming and diving?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Water Pony » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:28 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Any chance we could go to the B12 for swimming and diving?

I like your thinking and that would be great. My fear is that the Big XII won't like to have SMU to participate in any sports as it might raise other expectations. :?
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:41 pm

Yeah, WP, I figured that out + wondered what happens when Cincy leaves.

A few questions for our resident expert

1) what do you think will happen to SMU in terms of conference affiliation?

2) what do you think is the ideal affiliation?

3) what is the chance men & women’s affiliation will be different?

4) As for me, i’d ideally like to see us associated with the PAC-12 (or the ACC). Is that just a pipe dream?
SoCal_Pony

Postby Water Pony » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:14 pm

SoCal-Pony,

My insight is limited as I swam in the 60's, but the Big XII is preferred for two reasons. It is regional as well as highly competitive, especially with two nationally strong Men's and Women's Teams at UT and A&M. Sadly, I can remember when we never lost to either team and always won the Southwest Conference, despite our limited facilities.

Alternatively, I would rank the PAC12 as our second choice, followed by the ACC, where we would be competitive immediately. Both of our teams are getting stronger, especially the Men, due to the arrival of Coach Greg Rhodenbaugh. He is working them very hard, and they have improved their individual performances and skills under his coaching.

In either the Big XII or PAC12, SMU would start out in their second tier of teams. But, in those conferences our recruiting would greatly improve, especially when we will be able to boast of two long course Olympic pools, indoor and outdoor.
Last edited by Water Pony on Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:40 am

Thanks WP, you are our source for Swimming here.

Pretty funny, as a kid in elementary school in Dallas, i kept a DMN clipping on the front of my notebook for the entire year. The title?, ‘SMU Dunks Texas’

You might have been part of that dunking.
SoCal_Pony

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Remember in Soccer we were in the Missouri Valley Conference for awhile. And in Conference USA we had South Carolina and Kentucky because the SEC did not have Men's Soccer. So, it will be interesting to see where we land. If we make some waves at the NCAA's, we might get some suitors for Swimming only. With UT joining A&M in the SEC do you think the SEC might have men's swimming? If so, then the Big XII loses two teams for swimming.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Water Pony » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:11 pm

With the loss of UT Swimming, the Big XII might not be as opposed to adding SMU teams. Regionally it is more appealing.

Big XII Men's Swimming will lose UT; but gain BYU and Cincinnati. That would give them four Men's Teams along with TCU and West Virginia.

Big XII Women Swimming will gain BYU, Cincinnati, and Houston, joining Kansas, Iowa State, TCU and West Virginia.

Therefore, the Big XII makes sense for them and us.

BTW, the SEC will have 11 Men's Teams and 13 Women's Teams, when UT arrives. They won't feel a need to fill in with another team.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:57 pm

FWIW the PAC-12 has 8 Women’s S&D teams and 6 Men’s teams.

Women - AZ, AZ State, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah and Wash St.

Men - all the above sans UCLA (surprise to me) and Wash St.

SW Airlines flies to all these locations except for Pullman, WA. All but Tucson & SFO are no -stop flights.

I would strongly prefer PAC-12 over B12. I hope our AD at least considers this.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Water Pony » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:11 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:FWIW the PAC-12 has 8 Women’s S&D teams and 6 Men’s teams.

Women - AZ, AZ State, Cal, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah and Wash St.

Men - all the above sans UCLA (surprise to me) and Wash St.

SW Airlines flies to all these locations except for Pullman, WA. All but Tucson & SFO are no -stop flights.

I would strongly prefer PAC-12 over B12. I hope our AD at least considers this.

I agree. That would be ideal, especially for recruiting and competition. Only SEC would be a stronger conference.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyswim » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:12 pm

I think we would gladly go to whatever good conference that was available to us.
The men's time at conference was what I would call mediocre. Some good swims in some longer races, and from people new to the program - Robbie King, Cotton Fields, Angus Corbeau, Russell Exum. Caleb Rhodenbaugh was probably the best of the older guys. Other than that pretty mediocre. Not necessarily a bad thing - much of the team had COVID in Dec-Jan and missed training time.
They will all go American Short Course Championships next week in Austin, and I would expect better times there - especially from the sprinters and many others.
Next week could be pretty good - so be watching for that.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:12 pm

Going north there’s the MAC and B1G (Big Ten). Each have less than 10 teams. B1G has Michigan and Indiana long time swim royalty
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Terry Webster » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:49 pm

How does one go about finding a new conference?
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Other Sports