PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's tennis lands transfers from USF, UCLA

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's tennis lands transfers from USF, UCLA

Postby PonyPride » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:29 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Men’s Tennis Adds Two Proven Talents

DALLAS – The Mustangs have announced the additions of Antonio Muniz-Hidalgo from USF and Blaine Hovenier from UCLA. Both players will be entering their senior years after successful careers at their respective former schools.

Having played in the AAC for the past three years, Muniz-Hidalgo is very familiar with SMU. The two teams competed five times during his USF career including two conference tournament semifinal matches. A product of Barcelona, Spain, he played his first collegiate season at Georgia Southern before joining USF. He has accumulated an overall singles record of 41-28, going 14-10 for the Bulls last season across lines No. 2 and 3.

In high school, he played for Real club de tenis Barcelona. He also played the No. 6 position for Spain's under 18s. He was ranked No. 28 for Europe's under 16s.

Muniz-Hidalgo shared, "I am very excited to join the team. SMU is a perfect fit for my balance as a student-athlete, and I look forward to contributing and helping this program get to the next level. Coach Grant was instrumental in my decision-making process, and I look forward to playing for the Mustangs this season."

Standing at 6 foot 4 inches, Hovenier is a Los Angeles native and has spent his last four years with the UCLA Bruins. After redshirting his freshman campaign, he has accumulated five singles wins and two doubles wins. He is an excellent student and has been named an ITA Scholar-Athlete on two separate occasions. Before playing at UCLA, he led Campbell Hall High School to a perfect 33-0 regular season in 2018.

Hovenier stated, "SMU is a shining star within the Dallas community. I can't wait to join Mustang Nation and compete at the nicest facility in college tennis under three of the best coaches in the business. Pony up!"

Upon the introduction of his two new additions, Head Coach Grant Chen added, "I'm thrilled to welcome Blaine Hovenier and Antonio Muniz-Hidalgo to the SMU family. Both just recently finished undergraduate and will be getting Master's of Finance degrees from the prestigious Cox School of Business. Blaine and Antonio are stand out representatives of who our program is, and really help our team continue to elevate the program. Our players did a wonderful job during the recruiting process, and we are excited to have Blaine and Toni in SMU jerseys. Both display great qualities, value their education, and are hard workers. They are perfect fits for our culture and program."

The Mustangs graduated five seniors in the spring. This group included their primary No. 3 and No. 6 singles players. Three of the five also competed consistently in doubles. This senior group led SMU to its first AAC Championship and an appearance in the NCAA Tournament First Round.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports