PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's swimming and diving announces 2023-24 additions

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's swimming and diving announces 2023-24 additions

Postby PonyPride » Tue May 16, 2023 8:51 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Mustangs Announce 2023-24 Additions

DALLAS (SMU)- Head Coach Greg Rhodenbaugh has announced the addition of 10 student-athletes to the men's swimming and diving program for the 2023-24 season.

Last season the Mustangs won their third consecutive American Athletic Conference Championship and sent two student-athletes to the 2023 NCAA Championships. This was the Mustangs third overall AAC title and 44th conference championship in program history. They have won 19 titles since 1997.

Greg Rhodenbaugh was named the AAC Swimming Coach of the Year and Darian Schmidt was named the Diving Coach of the Year.

The class includes 10 incoming freshmen.

Nicklas Pedersen I Alsgarde, Denmark I Falkonergaardens Gymnasium & HF I Backstroke

Prep: Six-time Danish National Champion… Holds the Danish record in the 4x50 medley… Former Danish Junior recordholder in the 50 backstroke SCM… Twelve-time Danish Junior Champion… Competed on the Danish National Developing Team for the 2024 Olympics… Swam in the 2019 European Junior Championships.

Mark Van Eyebergen I Mexico City, Mexico I Mercersburg Academy I Butterfly, Distance Freestyle

Prep: Eastern Men's Champion in 2022, and Eastern Combined Champion in 2023… Won the Bruce F. Vanderveer award signifying the team's greatest contributor… Swam for AC Swim… Competed for the Mexican Junior National team… Represented Mexico at CCCAN 2022.

Nico Sobenes I Dallas, Texas I Cistercian Preparatory School I Butterfly

Prep: Swam four years on varsity for Cistercian Preparatory School… Was a 2023 SPC 3A State Champion… Swam for the Dallas Mustangs… Won the Golden Mustang Award… Was a Mexican Junior National Champion in the 50 and 100 butterfly… Also competed on the track and field team.

William DeJean I Baton Rouge, Louisiana I Catholic High School I IM & Freestyle

Prep: Team captain for the 2019 and 2020 State Champions… 2021 and 2022 Individual State Champion… Star of Stars recipient… Swam for Crawfish Aquatics Club… Team co-captain… AP Scholar… Member of the National Honors Society… Graduating with the highest honors from Catholic High School.

Asher Good I Scottsdale, Arizona I Saguaro High School I IM & Backstroke

Prep: Lettered four years at Saguaro High School… Was a D3 State Champion in 2019… Swam for the Scottsdale Aquatic Club… Was named a Scholastic All-American.

Jack Moore I San Antonio I Basis Shavano Charter School I Freestyle

Prep: Swam for Alamo Area Aquatics Association club team… Named the 2020 club Athlete of the Year… Swam various Sectional, Future and Junior National club meets… Member of the National Honors Society… A honor roll student.

Kristaps Mikelsons I Valmiera, Lativa I Valmiera State Gymnasium I IM

Prep: Multiple-time National Champion… National Junior record holder in the 200 and 400 IM (LC) and 100, 200 and 400 IM (SC)…. Second all-time fastest performer in high school in the 100 breaststroke, 200 and 400 IM… Swam for Valmiera Sports Club… Received the 2022 Sport's School Rising Star Award… Member of the Youth and Junior National team… Semifinalist for the European Short Course Championships in 2021 and 2022… Competed in the World Junior Championships in 2022 and the World Short Course Championships in 2022… Also competed in the World Championships in Japan in 2023.

Leif Bouwman I Newmarket, Ontario I Jupiter High School (FL.) I Sprint Free & Butterfly

Prep: Named the male Most Outstanding Swimmer at the state championships… Finished third in the 50 freestyle, and fifth in the 100 butterfly at state… Set the school record in the 50 freestyle and 100 butterfly… Swam club for the Jupiter Dragons… Set the club record in the 50, 100 and 200 freestyle (SCY)… Set the club record in the 50 and 100 freestyle, and the 50, 100 butterfly (LCM)… Qualified for the Canadian trials for three consecutive years.

Ben Coverdale I Galena, Ohio I Olentangy Berlin High School I Sprint Free

Prep: Olentangy Berlin High School event record holder in the 50 & 100 freestyle, 100 butterfly, 200 & 400 MR… Was named a scholar-athlete in 2021, 2022 and 2023… District qualifier all four years in high school… State finalist in 2023… Received the Double Blue Sportsmanship Award in 2021… Swam for New Albany Aquatic Club… Competed in the 2021 Speedo Winter Junior National Championships… Competed in the 2023 NCSA Junior National Championships… Was a member of the National Honors Society… Graduated Summa cum Lade… Received an Academic Honors Diploma… Was named a College Board National African American Recognition Program Scholar and Rural and Small town Recognition Program Scholar.

Jaxx Miller I San Clemente, California I Sky Mountain Charter School I Distance Free

Prep: Swam for Fullerton Aquatics Club… Was a Junior National Open Water Qualifier… Member of the National Honors Society.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Men's swimming and diving announces 2023-24 additions

Postby Water Pony » Thu May 18, 2023 7:31 pm

Delighted to see the new commitments, including International Swimmers. SMU has been very successful with world class swimmers from South Africa, Sweden, Slovakia, Brazil, and many more. Welcome to Dallas,

Coach Rhodenbaugh will challenge them further and they will accomplish much more on the Hilltop.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Men's swimming and diving announces 2023-24 additions

Postby PoconoPony » Mon May 22, 2023 9:35 am

Appears that for the 1st time Coach R sought out foreign swimmers which unfortunately are necessary for a top tier program. Without times to judge these recruits, it is tough to really assess the strength of this class. From the stand point of filling voids in strokes needed, he shored up weaknesses. I am aware that he will have a representative # of 5th year kids returning for their Covid year which should make for a strong team; however, I am not sure how they impacted on his scholarship aid.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Other Sports