PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

W-Swim adds Olympic gold medalist/NCAA champ as asst. coach

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

W-Swim adds Olympic gold medalist/NCAA champ as asst. coach

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:51 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Olympic Gold Medalist And NCAA Champion Melanie Margalis-Fink Named Assistant Coach

DALLAS (SMU) - Olympic gold-medalist and NCAA Champion Melanie Margalis-Fink was named assistant women's swimming coach by head coach Ozzie Quevedo on Monday.

Margalis-Fink earned a gold in the 2016 Olympics in the 4×200 freestyle team while also placing fourth in the 200 IM, narrowly missing her second medal of the games. She recently won a bronze for the United States at 2021 Short Course Worlds in the 400 IM while also finishing fourth in the 200 IM. Margalis also has gold medals from the 2017 and 2019 long course World Championships, and another in the 2018 short course World Championships. She also has eight other World Championship medals.

"I want to thank Ozzie for this incredible opportunity to coach at SMU," said Margalis-Fink. "I feel privileged to be able to coach alongside such a well-respected figure in the swimming community. I look forward to collaborating with Ozzie, the athletic department, and the highly involved alumni to help the athletes become the most well-rounded individuals in and out of the water. I know we will all strive to uphold the tradition of excellence that SMU's program is known for. I am very excited to get to work on the hilltop! Go Mustangs!"

Margalis-Fink is a 17-time All-American brings that national championship pedigree as she was part of the 2013 and 2014 women's NCAA National Championship teams at Georgia. She was a key member of both teams, earning All-American honors in the 200 breast, 200 IM, 400 IM, 200 medley relay and 400 medley relay in 2013.

"Melanie's accomplishments as both a NCAA and Olympic champion swimmer speak for themselves," said Quevedo. "Her passion for swimming shows in her coaching, and the way she positively impacts student-athletes. We are excited to have Melanie as part of SMU Swimming."

At Georgia, Margalis-Fink swam for legendary Head Coach Jack Bauerle, who was a seven-time National Coach of the Year and coached for U.S. Swimming in six Olympics. Before joining the Bulldogs, she was coached by Fred Lewis at the St. Petersburg Aquatic Club in Florida. Her brother Robert Margalis was also an NCAA Champion swimmer at Georgia.

Margalis-Fink was an assistant coach at Georgia Tech in 2022-23 working with IM and lower-middle distance swimmers.

She graduated from Georgia in 2014 with a bachelor of science in Family and Consumer Sciences, Fashion Merchandising. Margalis-Fink is married to Olympian and American-record holder Nic Fink.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports