PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Brad Kearns named equestrian associate head coach

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Brad Kearns named equestrian associate head coach

Postby PonyPride » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:00 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

Kearns Promoted To Associate Head Coach

DALLAS (SMU)- SMU equestrian head coach Carol Gwin announced the promotion of Western coach Brad Kearns to associate head coach.

"Brad Kearns has done an exceptional job both coaching and recruiting an exceptionally talented group of Western student-athletes," head coach Carol Gwin said. "He personally manages the Western horses, horse donations, and the coaching of half of our team. In two years, he has made a huge impact on our team, and I am very proud to have him on our coaching staff."

Kearns took over as the Mustangs' Western Coach in July 2021. Kearns joined SMU after a successful career competing, coaching and judging in the American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA), American Paint Horse Association (APHA) and National Snaffle Bit Association (NSBA).

Kearns was a key component of a historic Mustang team that captured SMU's first NCEA National Title in program history. Five of Kearns riders, Nya Kearns, Mallory Vroegh, Chalyce Head, Lily Anderson and Alexa Black were named NCEA All-Americans. Vroegh and Dani Latimer were also named the National Championships Most Outstanding Performers in Horsemanship and Reining, respectively.

"I am very humbled to be getting this promotion," associate head coach Brad Kearns said. "I really have to thank Coach Gwin for taking a chance on me. I didn't have experience in the collegiate world. It really is a dream job, being able to shape the lives of young athletes and prepare them for all the tasks that will face them in the future. John Wooden, 10-time NCAA championship coach in men's basketball for UCLA, once said, "You have to really love your people to get the most out of them." This is definitely true of our team. Every athlete tries their best, knowing we as coaches support them regardless of what happens during competition. We have an amazing group. Everyone is unique and has special talents. I am so blessed to be able to do a job I love with people I love and horses I love every day."

In Kearns's first year as the Western Coach, SMU added its fourth consecutive ECAC Conference title and finished No. 3 in the final NCEA poll of the season. The Mustangs were 11-7 on the year and 4-1 in the conference. At the NCEA Championships in Ocala, Florida, SMU took down No. 1 Auburn in convincing fashion 12-8 in the quarterfinals. Kearns coached two all-American selections in Nya Kearns and Mallory Vroegh. The Mustangs had four NCEA all-American selections total, including two in the Western discipline.

Kearns has coached multiple youth riders to AQHA High Point All-Around year-end titles. In addition, he has coached two AQHA Select World Champions, eight AQHA Youth World Champions, four AQHA Amateur Reserve World Champions, three AQHA Amateur Reserve World Champions and three Appaloosa World Champions.

As a competitor, Kearns is an AQHA World Champion and Reserve World Champion in Trail and Western Pleasure and has won a number of national titles in other events as well.

Kearns has served as a judge at major horse shows across the United States and around the world in countries like Switzerland, Germany and Australia. He previously judged the American Quarter Horse Association World Championship Show and the Australian Pleasure Horse Association National Championship Show.

Kearns' daughter, Nya Kearns, competes in Horsemanship for the Mustangs. Nya is a three-time all-American.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports