PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Men's Swimming

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Men's Swimming

Postby ponyswim » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:07 pm

Men's swimming got a HUGE transfer commitment. Jack Hoagland from Notre Dame is coming to SMU to swim and complete his MBA. Jack has 2 years of eligibility. He was 5th at NCAA's this this year in the 1650, and 10th in the 500 free. He is way under SMU school records in the 1650, 500 free, and 400 IM. He is the best male swimmer to be at SMU is at least 25 years! Things are changing!
ponyswim
Varsity

Re: Men's Swimming

Postby redpony » Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:36 am

glad things are looking up. when I was in school many of us went to watch the swim meets as we were a top swim club. After Red Barr and George M. things seemed to go downhill fast. IIRC we had a couple of really good swimmers. I think one was name Jerry Heidenrick (sp) and another don't remember his name but I think he was from South Africa.
Am glad that we finally got some new facilities. That might help in recruiting.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:12 am

Jerry Heidenreich is our highest ranked US Olympian, who was second to Matt Spitz in the '72 Munich Games. The South African was Vernon Slovin, a world class butterflyer in the Sixties and my teammate. Ken Merten was the first man to break 1 minute in the 100 Breast in '67.

Other world class SMU swimmers include Ryan Berube, Martina Moravcova, Lars Frolander, Steve Lundquist, Ricardo Prado, and many others. A great tradition of excellence.

8)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:27 am

WP- thanks for the info. I also remember Lundquist..
redpony

Return to Other Sports