PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Swimming Roster Changes

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Swimming Roster Changes

Postby ponyswim » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:49 am

Some interesting mid season roster changes:
Men - William Kovac is on the roster. Who is he? - he was at Missouri for a short time with Greg. Apparently he is taking his "covid" year this spring. He was an NCAA top 8 swimmer at Missouri - 44.6 100 fly, 42.5 100 free, 1:40 + 200 fly, 1:41 200 IM. This is HUGE for a lot of SMU's relays. It gives them a very solid chance to get to NCAA's in all 5 relays, and gives SMU a chance to get up in the top 15 at NCAA's. He was top 8 at Olympic trials in 2021 in the 100 fly.
Women - 4 of 5 freshmen swimmers are no longer on the roster. Not sure if they are in school and might reappear in the future or have transferred somewhere else. I think this reflects Ozzie's focus on having a full women's roster that will train year round to compete at a high level nationally and internationally. This is hugely important for the women to be a significant factor at NCAA's.
The women will have about 8 weeks between their last meet in mid November and their next meet Jan 19-20. What a great chunk of time to do a lot of great training/improvement to get to another level this year.
Same with the men except they have a Jan. 9 meet at North Carolina.

I expect to see a really good Jan-March from both teams. The SMU - Texas meet on Feb. 9th could be fun to watch - 5pm at SMU. This will be Texas coach Eddie Reese's last dual meet at Texas.
ponyswim
Varsity

Re: Swimming Roster Changes

Postby SMUguy » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:47 pm

When I was in school, both SMU teams were nationally ranked powers.
Hopefully we're on the way back to those days.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Re: Swimming Roster Changes

Postby Water Pony » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:26 pm

Thanks, ponyswim, for the roster updates. Love it and our enouraging prospects for the near and long term. Greg is developing a reputation that swimmers will make big improvements under his coaching.

As for Texas, I am very interested to see if we can be competitive. In the sixties, we dominated the Longhorns.

Mu Sigma Delta (Mustang Swimmers & Divers)
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Other Sports