PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jaime Ibarra-Perez returns to SMU as men's soccer assistant

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jaime Ibarra-Perez returns to SMU as men's soccer assistant

Postby PonyPride » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:17 pm

From SMUMustangs.com:

SMU Alum Jaime Ibarra-Perez Named Assistant Men’s Soccer Coach

DALLAS (SMU) — SMU alum and former soccer player Jaime Ibarra-Perez will be returning to the Hilltop as an assistant coach for the Mustangs' Men's Soccer program.

"We are thrilled to welcome Jaime, Gracie and Cavani back to SMU," head coach Kevin Hudson said. "Jaime is an outstanding person and coach who will provide immense value to our team. His loyalty and care for the program is unquestioned. As an alum of the program he knows what it takes to win and develop successful student-athletes at SMU."

Ibarra-Perez was a goalkeeper for SMU from 2010 until 2013, starting 57 matches for the Mustangs and earning 2012 Conference USA Player of the Year. He helped the Mustangs to three conference championships and three NCAA Tournament appearances, including a run to the NCAA quarterfinals in 2010.

"We are beyond thrilled to return home to SMU and rejoin a tremendous program," Ibarra-Perez said. "SMU is a special place to my family and I, and we are eager to pour ourselves into the SMU family and community. I want to thank Huddy for the opportunity to help lead this program and continue to build on the rich tradition of SMU Soccer."

Ibarra-Perez played for Puerto Rico FC in 2014 before beginning his coaching career in 2015 and 2016 at Mountain View College as a goalkeeper coach.

He returned to the Hilltop as a graduate assistant for the 2017 and 2018 seasons, helping the Mustangs to back-to-back AAC regular-season and tournament championships. SMU earned NCAA bids both seasons, reaching the Round of 16 in 2017 when Ibarra was part of the AAC Coaching Staff of the Year.

Ibarra-Perez was an assistant coach at UNC Greensboro from 2019 to 2021, helping the program win three Southern Conference titles (2019, 2021 regular season; 2020 tournament). He also helped recruit back-to-back Top-25 signing classes.

He was an assistant coach at Stetson in 2022. Five student-athletes were named All-ASUN, two All-Region and two to the ASUN All-Freshman team.

Ibarra-Perez earned two degrees from SMU, a bachelor's in history in 2013 and a master's degree in bilingual education in 2019. He was the SMU Athletic Director's S.P.I.R.I.T. Award winner at the 2014 Pony Awards.

He rejoins the SMU staff after the Mustangs won the 2023 AAC regular-season title and reached the NCAA third round after earning the No. 6 seed.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jaime Ibarra-Perez returns to SMU as men's soccer assist

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:54 pm

Great news! I like Jaime.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend