PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Swimming Vs Texas/Ed Sinnott

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Swimming Vs Texas/Ed Sinnott

Postby ponyswim » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:59 pm

Friday at 5:00 pm SMU Men and Women Swim Texas, at SMU. I am really looking forward to it. Our Men's team is the best it has been for 25 years. We typically are not very good in January (because of hard training), but we are usually pretty good against Texas. So, I think it will be a reasonably competitive meet with some very good races. We just need to get better and Friday is time to start translating the hard work to results.
On the Women's side - Texas is MUCH better than SMU - they have a chance to win the NCAA championships. BUT, our girls are starting to perk up after a lot of hard training, and just like the men, this is their time to start translating their hard work into fast times. I think we will see some of that on Friday. The women have a chance to make NCAA's in some relays with great improvement in the next few weeks, as well as have some individuals qualify.
Eddie Sinnott - SMU swimmer, then SMU Men's Swimming coach for 30 years is very ill with cancer and other problems. Your prayers for him and his family are needed. He did a lot of good things at SMU and should be in the SMU Hall of Fame.
ponyswim
Varsity

Re: Swimming Vs Texas/Ed Sinnott

Postby EastStang » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:28 pm

Beat the Whorns. Thoughts and Prayers for Eddie. Great guy and made a great impact in a lot of lives.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:57 am

ponyswim,

Thanks for the post. I share your observations that both teams, especially our Men, are improving and taking on greater challenges and competition. We can't reasonably expect to win but we can demonstrate both progress and emerging competitiveness with both individual performances and improved relays.

Greg has established demanding training and work ethic which is producing better times and depth. I like our direction. I miss the days when we dominated the Longhorns. 8)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby ponyswim » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:27 pm

Water Pony - it terms of "not being reasonably expected to win" the meet, I think that it is true with SMU. BUT a major reason for that is that our divers are very poor (have potential) and Texas will dominate both diving events. Luke Hobson, NCAA champion for Texas in freestyle will be at the World Championships, so he will not be there. SMU could win roughly half of the swimming individual events. I expect our guys and women to be pretty good. It should be a lively meet.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:10 pm

That's is encouraging. I am a bit surprised that our diving has dropped off. Usually we are competitive.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Return to Other Sports