PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OMAHA, Neb. — Grapes sour quickly in this state. (TU)

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

OMAHA, Neb. — Grapes sour quickly in this state. (TU)

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:10 am

I just love it.....here's from the message board on college sports...

http://bbs.collegesports.com/cgi-bin/ik ... =6;t=27003

OMAHA, Neb. — Grapes sour quickly in this state.

Despite clearly playing like the second-best team in this College World Series, the Texas baseball team declined to show up to accept its second-place trophy Sunday afternoon.

And that might have been the Longhorns' biggest error in a championship series full of them.

Crestfallen over a second straight defeat by national champion Cal State Fullerton, the Texas players watched stoically from the first-base dugout. Then they disappeared into the locker room for a team meeting instead of remaining behind for the trophy ceremony as the runnerup has done, according to one veteran CWS reporter from Omaha, for the last 25 years of this 58-year-old event.

"We don't require them to come out," said Dennis Poppe, the NCAA director of championships, who had never seen a team stay sequestered in his 17 CWS years. "We understand the emotions of the moment."

Augie Garrido does, too. But instead of treating his players like fragile teacups, the 65-year-old coach could have taught them a better lesson in sportsmanship by paying respect to their victors and taking their lumps instead of retreating to the team bus.

E-Augie.

Garrido is a true gentleman, a brilliant coach, a personal favorite of mine and an outstanding caretaker of young men, but he did them a disfavor on this occasion by standing on ceremony with a take-their-ball-and-go-home demeanor.

He and three of his players did give the Titans their due in the post-game press conference with all the right comments, but their indifference on the field reflected a lack of respect toward Fullerton Coach George Horton as well as the fans who support this event so well.

Texas also declined to abide by NCAA rules and open its locker room to the media for interviews.

Twice, the NCAA director asked them to return for the presentation. But the Longhorns declined.

"We don't have to have a trophy to know we're champions. We are," a crushed Garrido explained. "We don't have to win the game to be winners. We are. If you let symbols and trophies and rings define your character, I think you're making a big mistake."

--------------
“You have to be careful on those (University of) Texas kids,” one scout said. “They don’t reach their potential because they don’t coach them hard there and they don’t push them hard there.”

From the Houston Chronicle ....

Unexcused absence

They disgraced themselves.

They disgraced their school.

What a nice finishing touch to a splendid season.

Instead of winning their second national championship in three seasons, the Longhorns became the first team in at least 17 years to refuse to participate in the College World Series trophy presentation.

Aren't they splendid ambassadors for the University of Texas?

Let's be clear about who we're blaming here. The Texas players watched a bit of Fullerton's postgame celebration before retreating to their locker room to console one another.

They did not come back.

Leadership lacking

They also declined to open their locker room to reporters, as required by NCAA rules.

Don't blame the players.

They did what kids almost always do in such situations. They were disappointed, then they were angry, and then they were childish.

That's when an adult should have taken charge.

That's when Longhorns coach Augie Garrido failed to show even a minimal amount of leadership.

If I were UT president Larry Faulkner, I'd wonder if I wanted this kind of man holding a high-profile job at my school.

I wouldn't fire him, but I'd let him know how unhappy I was.

All that saves Garrido is the fact he has represented the university well and runs what appears to be a clean program. One moment of monumentally bad behavior should not erase all the good.

But I'd call him in for a chat and make sure he understood the severity of his actions.

Can you imagine football coach Mack Brown or basketball coach Rick Barnes reacting to a bitter Texas defeat with that kind of behavior? No, you can't.

If a coach is supposed to teach kids lessons about dealing with others, doing their best and then handling both wins and losses, Garrido should have one and only one second chance.

Garrido offered a half-baked explanation of sorts Monday by saying he didn't understand that the Longhorns were supposed to return to the field. However, an NCAA official said the Longhorns were asked twice to return.

"It was not about being a poor sport," Garrido said after returning to Austin from Omaha. "It was about confusion and misunderstanding."

With 24 hours to think of something, you'd think the guy would at least come up with something believable.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds also offered a poor explanation when he said: "I absolutely trust his judgment on baseball matters."

Memo to Dodds: It's not about baseball; it's about handling defeat with the same class you guys have shown in handling all those victories.

Far better and far more competitive men than Garrido have been at their best after gut-wrenching losses.

In doing so, they set the kind of example men like Garrido would never understand.

Rice baseball coach Wayne Graham says part of his job is overseeing the "human growth and development" of his players. No man in sports is more demanding or more competitive than Graham, but can you see him acting the way Garrido did? No, you can't.

The right way to act

How about Dennis Eckersley? Almost 16 years ago, he gave up one of the most famous home runs in World Series history.

Long after Kirk Gibson limped around the bases to give the Los Angeles Dodgers a stunning Game 1 victory over the Oakland A's, Eckersley stood in front of his locker and answered question after question.

He handled the situation so well that last fall when his name went on the Hall of Fame ballot, it was not the 390 career saves or the 197 career victories a lot of people remembered.

It was that excruciating night in Los Angeles.

Chris Webber cost Michigan a chance to win a national basketball title when he called a timeout the Wolverines didn't have during the final minute against North Carolina in 1993. But he showed up in the interview room and, while almost too despondent to talk, did his best.

Derek Jeter faced waves of reporters when his New York Yankees let a lead slip away in the final inning of the seventh game of the 2001 World Series. He was stunned and angry and disappointed, but he still saluted the Arizona Diamondbacks and did his best to be gracious.

Garrido could learn a lesson from him.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby NavyCrimson » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:13 am

here's the other article from houston:

From the Houston Chronicle ....

Unexcused absence

They disgraced themselves.

They disgraced their school.

What a nice finishing touch to a splendid season.

Instead of winning their second national championship in three seasons, the Longhorns became the first team in at least 17 years to refuse to participate in the College World Series trophy presentation.

Aren't they splendid ambassadors for the University of Texas?

Let's be clear about who we're blaming here. The Texas players watched a bit of Fullerton's postgame celebration before retreating to their locker room to console one another.

They did not come back.

Leadership lacking

They also declined to open their locker room to reporters, as required by NCAA rules.

Don't blame the players.

They did what kids almost always do in such situations. They were disappointed, then they were angry, and then they were childish.

That's when an adult should have taken charge.

That's when Longhorns coach Augie Garrido failed to show even a minimal amount of leadership.

If I were UT president Larry Faulkner, I'd wonder if I wanted this kind of man holding a high-profile job at my school.

I wouldn't fire him, but I'd let him know how unhappy I was.

All that saves Garrido is the fact he has represented the university well and runs what appears to be a clean program. One moment of monumentally bad behavior should not erase all the good.

But I'd call him in for a chat and make sure he understood the severity of his actions.

Can you imagine football coach Mack Brown or basketball coach Rick Barnes reacting to a bitter Texas defeat with that kind of behavior? No, you can't.

If a coach is supposed to teach kids lessons about dealing with others, doing their best and then handling both wins and losses, Garrido should have one and only one second chance.

Garrido offered a half-baked explanation of sorts Monday by saying he didn't understand that the Longhorns were supposed to return to the field. However, an NCAA official said the Longhorns were asked twice to return.

"It was not about being a poor sport," Garrido said after returning to Austin from Omaha. "It was about confusion and misunderstanding."

With 24 hours to think of something, you'd think the guy would at least come up with something believable.

Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds also offered a poor explanation when he said: "I absolutely trust his judgment on baseball matters."

Memo to Dodds: It's not about baseball; it's about handling defeat with the same class you guys have shown in handling all those victories.

Far better and far more competitive men than Garrido have been at their best after gut-wrenching losses.

In doing so, they set the kind of example men like Garrido would never understand.

Rice baseball coach Wayne Graham says part of his job is overseeing the "human growth and development" of his players. No man in sports is more demanding or more competitive than Graham, but can you see him acting the way Garrido did? No, you can't.

The right way to act

How about Dennis Eckersley? Almost 16 years ago, he gave up one of the most famous home runs in World Series history.

Long after Kirk Gibson limped around the bases to give the Los Angeles Dodgers a stunning Game 1 victory over the Oakland A's, Eckersley stood in front of his locker and answered question after question.

He handled the situation so well that last fall when his name went on the Hall of Fame ballot, it was not the 390 career saves or the 197 career victories a lot of people remembered.

It was that excruciating night in Los Angeles.

Chris Webber cost Michigan a chance to win a national basketball title when he called a timeout the Wolverines didn't have during the final minute against North Carolina in 1993. But he showed up in the interview room and, while almost too despondent to talk, did his best.

(the rest of the article is on the fan forum website)
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Return to Other Sports