PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Aspires to Greatness Except for Salaries & Benefits

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Aspires to Greatness Except for Salaries & Benefits

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:18 pm

This is from today's (Thursday) edition of The Daily Campus:

By Elizabeth Bridges, Contributing Writer, sebridge@smu.edu
April 27, 2006

Southern Methodist University is justifiably proud of its manicured grounds and impressive new buildings, but when it comes to teacher pay and benefits SMU might best be described as a cheapskate.

A confidential study of SMU and a dozen “benchmark” universities finds that SMU ranks in the bottom half in what it pays its professors. The study, recently conducted by a Faculty Senate panel, finds that SMU ranks dead last in what it pays associate professors, teachers who have achieved tenure and are usually younger than full professors.

“Many SMU staff are underpaid for the skill and commitment that they bring to their work; this must be addressed,” said Rhonda Blair, a theatre professor and president-elect of the Faculty Senate. “Faculty and staff benefits at SMU are significantly lower than those at many, if not most, of our peer and benchmark institutions.”

Jim Hopkins, the head of the history department, agrees. “Many of us don’t believe that faculty salaries are where they should be,” he said.

SMU Provost Robert Blocker said the findings concern him.

“It’s never acceptable to be ranked last,” said Blocker, who in 2005 accepted the position of provost and vicepresident of academic affairs at SMU.

So when do SMU officials plan to address the university’s salary problems?

According to Blocker, the Centennial Campaign, a major fundraising effort, will go public in 2008. The money will be spent on faculty salaries, benefits, endowed chairs and student fellowships and scholarships. The campaign is expected to be completed in 2011.

In the meantime, according to Blocker, SMU has no specific plans to address salaries.

Sean Griffin, an associate professor in cinema-television, says the effects of low salaries and benefits are as numerous as there are professors.

For example, some assistant professors—those teachers who are trying to achieve tenure—are forced to take extra teaching assignments or work another job, which takes away from the time needed to do research and write, according to Griffin. Generally, low pay sends a negative message to all those who teach at SMU. “A general lower sense of morale often results,” Griffin said. “The faculty feels they are not as valued as their peers working at other universities.”

The situation concerns many students. “It doesn’t make sense to me,” said Jessica Martin, a sophomore majoring in management. “We pay more than other schools’ students do in tuition. Why are our professors paid so much less?”

Recent studies suggest that college professors are falling behind when it comes to pay. According to a report released this week by the American Association of University Professors, salaries for professors nationwide failed to keep pace with inflation over the past two years. The 2006 study, “The Devaluing of Higher Education,” says the growing gap comes at a time when students increasingly need rigorous preparation for today’s knowledge-based economy.

“To accomplish this goal, it would seem imperative for colleges and universities to continue to attract the nation’s brightest scholars to their faculties,” the study states. “If they fail to do so, the quality of U.S. higher education will diminish.”

The Faculty Senate study suggests that professors at SMU are doing even worse than their counterparts at other colleges.

The Faculty Senate study examined pay at SMU and a dozen benchmark universities including Brown, Dartmouth, Duke and Vanderbilt. Blocker said SMU is striving to be comparable to these colleges.

The study also looked at 12 “operationally competitive schools” including Baylor, Boston College, Pepperdine and TCU. Blocker said SMU considers itself comparable to these colleges.

According to 2004 figures, the most recent statistics compiled for the study, SMU often lags behind these schools. When compared with its 12 benchmark schools, SMU ranks No. 10 in the average salary it pays to full professors, No. 13 in associate professor salaries and No. 8 in assistant professor salaries. The study shows that when compared with its 12 operational schools, SMU ranks No. 4 in the average salary it pays to full professors, No. 7 for associate professors and No. 4 for assistant professors.

Griffin concedes that he doesn’t feel the pay check crunch but says his situation is unique. “I don’t have children to support, and my partner is also a university professor (at the University of North Texas), so both of our salaries add up to one pretty decent salary,” he said.

Recently promoted to the rank of associate professor, Griffin admits disappointment in the pay increase that went with it. “While not expecting my salary to go through the roof with the promotion to tenure, I guess I had imagined seeing a larger pay increase than what I ended up getting,” he said.

Faculty members and students said the university’s relatively low pay scale affects the university negatively in many ways. Some said, for example, it means SMU ends up losing many of its best professors.

“I think this definitely does happen,” said Griffin. “A number of people interviewed for tenure-track positions at SMU are also interviewing at other places, and SMU loses these potential hires often because they cannot match the salaries being offered elsewhere. I know personally of professors who have left SMU for jobs elsewhere because of finding better compensation.”

The Faculty Senate study also found that the salary increases at SMU have lagged behind many of the benchmark and operational schools. For example, between 1996 and 2004, average salary increases for a full professor at SMU ranked No. 9 among the benchmark schools and No. 7 among the operational schools.

According to the report, “In terms of growth in salary over the period 1996 to 2004, SMU fares no better and in some cases fares worse.”

Blocker’s explanation? “These benchmark schools have substantially large endowments,” he said.

Given the widespread concern over salaries, the provost said the university plans to “look at whatever resources we have and try to address the most egregious problems.”

Blocker said the compensation issue is far more complicated than just one’s paycheck. “The actual base salary that someone takes home is only part of the salary,” he said. “The benefits package includes health care, health insurance and retirement. More and more across the country these particular elements are really, really, really important to everybody.”

However, the report suggests that SMU lags behind many of the benchmark and operational schools in the benefits it provides.

For example, the study found that SMU’s maximum lifetime benefits—the maximum amount of money paid to insured employees from the health care plan—is $1 million. When compared to its 24 benchmark and operational schools, SMU ranks last in this category. The Faculty Senate has suggested doubling this figure.

Several professors said administrators must improve benefits along with pay. “Health care and medical coverage is also a major issue,” Blair said.

Historically, SMU has focused its fundraising efforts on bricks and mortar. Several professors said that needs to change.

“Five years ago, half a billion dollars was dedicated to building a new football stadium, sports center and other campus improvements,” Hopkins said. “Development needs to be tied in with the purpose of raising funds for student scholarships and endowed chairs.”

Blair agreed. “Having the best people — faculty, staff and students — is the most important component in having an excellent institution,” she said. “More money for faculty endowments and salaries would mean an ability to attract and keep the strongest faculty. We need to bring all faculty members up to a wage that respects their expertise and calling.”

NEWS

SMU aspires to greatness except for salaries, benefits

By Elizabeth Bridges, Contributing Writer, sebridge@smu.edu
April 27, 2006

Southern Methodist University is justifiably proud of its manicured grounds and impressive new buildings, but when it comes to teacher pay and benefits SMU might best be described as a cheapskate.

A confidential study of SMU and a dozen “benchmark” universities finds that SMU ranks in the bottom half in what it pays its professors. The study, recently conducted by a Faculty Senate panel, finds that SMU ranks dead last in what it pays associate professors, teachers who have achieved tenure and are usually younger than full professors.

“Many SMU staff are underpaid for the skill and commitment that they bring to their work; this must be addressed,” said Rhonda Blair, a theatre professor and president-elect of the Faculty Senate. “Faculty and staff benefits at SMU are significantly lower than those at many, if not most, of our peer and benchmark institutions.”

Jim Hopkins, the head of the history department, agrees. “Many of us don’t believe that faculty salaries are where they should be,” he said.

SMU Provost Robert Blocker said the findings concern him.

“It’s never acceptable to be ranked last,” said Blocker, who in 2005 accepted the position of provost and vicepresident of academic affairs at SMU.

So when do SMU officials plan to address the university’s salary problems?

According to Blocker, the Centennial Campaign, a major fundraising effort, will go public in 2008. The money will be spent on faculty salaries, benefits, endowed chairs and student fellowships and scholarships. The campaign is expected to be completed in 2011.

In the meantime, according to Blocker, SMU has no specific plans to address salaries.

Sean Griffin, an associate professor in cinema-television, says the effects of low salaries and benefits are as numerous as there are professors.

For example, some assistant professors—those teachers who are trying to achieve tenure—are forced to take extra teaching assignments or work another job, which takes away from the time needed to do research and write, according to Griffin. Generally, low pay sends a negative message to all those who teach at SMU. “A general lower sense of morale often results,” Griffin said. “The faculty feels they are not as valued as their peers working at other universities.”

The situation concerns many students. “It doesn’t make sense to me,” said Jessica Martin, a sophomore majoring in management. “We pay more than other schools’ students do in tuition. Why are our professors paid so much less?”

Recent studies suggest that college professors are falling behind when it comes to pay. According to a report released this week by the American Association of University Professors, salaries for professors nationwide failed to keep pace with inflation over the past two years. The 2006 study, “The Devaluing of Higher Education,” says the growing gap comes at a time when students increasingly need rigorous preparation for today’s knowledge-based economy.

“To accomplish this goal, it would seem imperative for colleges and universities to continue to attract the nation’s brightest scholars to their faculties,” the study states. “If they fail to do so, the quality of U.S. higher education will diminish.”

The Faculty Senate study suggests that professors at SMU are doing even worse than their counterparts at other colleges.

The Faculty Senate study examined pay at SMU and a dozen benchmark universities including Brown, Dartmouth, Duke and Vanderbilt. Blocker said SMU is striving to be comparable to these colleges.

The study also looked at 12 “operationally competitive schools” including Baylor, Boston College, Pepperdine and TCU. Blocker said SMU considers itself comparable to these colleges.

According to 2004 figures, the most recent statistics compiled for the study, SMU often lags behind these schools. When compared with its 12 benchmark schools, SMU ranks No. 10 in the average salary it pays to full professors, No. 13 in associate professor salaries and No. 8 in assistant professor salaries. The study shows that when compared with its 12 operational schools, SMU ranks No. 4 in the average salary it pays to full professors, No. 7 for associate professors and No. 4 for assistant professors.

Griffin concedes that he doesn’t feel the pay check crunch but says his situation is unique. “I don’t have children to support, and my partner is also a university professor (at the University of North Texas), so both of our salaries add up to one pretty decent salary,” he said.

Recently promoted to the rank of associate professor, Griffin admits disappointment in the pay increase that went with it. “While not expecting my salary to go through the roof with the promotion to tenure, I guess I had imagined seeing a larger pay increase than what I ended up getting,” he said.

Faculty members and students said the university’s relatively low pay scale affects the university negatively in many ways. Some said, for example, it means SMU ends up losing many of its best professors.

“I think this definitely does happen,” said Griffin. “A number of people interviewed for tenure-track positions at SMU are also interviewing at other places, and SMU loses these potential hires often because they cannot match the salaries being offered elsewhere. I know personally of professors who have left SMU for jobs elsewhere because of finding better compensation.”

The Faculty Senate study also found that the salary increases at SMU have lagged behind many of the benchmark and operational schools. For example, between 1996 and 2004, average salary increases for a full professor at SMU ranked No. 9 among the benchmark schools and No. 7 among the operational schools.

According to the report, “In terms of growth in salary over the period 1996 to 2004, SMU fares no better and in some cases fares worse.”

Blocker’s explanation? “These benchmark schools have substantially large endowments,” he said.

Given the widespread concern over salaries, the provost said the university plans to “look at whatever resources we have and try to address the most egregious problems.”

Blocker said the compensation issue is far more complicated than just one’s paycheck. “The actual base salary that someone takes home is only part of the salary,” he said. “The benefits package includes health care, health insurance and retirement. More and more across the country these particular elements are really, really, really important to everybody.”

However, the report suggests that SMU lags behind many of the benchmark and operational schools in the benefits it provides.

For example, the study found that SMU’s maximum lifetime benefits—the maximum amount of money paid to insured employees from the health care plan—is $1 million. When compared to its 24 benchmark and operational schools, SMU ranks last in this category. The Faculty Senate has suggested doubling this figure.

Several professors said administrators must improve benefits along with pay. “Health care and medical coverage is also a major issue,” Blair said.

Historically, SMU has focused its fundraising efforts on bricks and mortar. Several professors said that needs to change.

“Five years ago, half a billion dollars was dedicated to building a new football stadium, sports center and other campus improvements,” Hopkins said. “Development needs to be tied in with the purpose of raising funds for student scholarships and endowed chairs.”

Blair agreed. “Having the best people — faculty, staff and students — is the most important component in having an excellent institution,” she said. “More money for faculty endowments and salaries would mean an ability to attract and keep the strongest faculty. We need to bring all faculty members up to a wage that respects their expertise and calling.”

How SMU Stacks Up

These are the average salaries in 2004 for associate professors at SMU and 12 benchmark schools.

Northwestern
$90,700

Duke
$89,500

Dartmouth
$86,000

Southern California
$84,600

Carnegie-Mellon
$84,500

Emory
$84,300

Vanderbilt
$79,000

Notre Dame
$78,800

Brown
$78,400

Wake Forest
$75,500

Tulane
$73,500

Brandeis
$73,300

SMU
$72,600
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mr. pony » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Three words - well, four...

UH, COST OF LIVING!!!!

Is that even factored in?

I can see it now. Athletics are finally getting revved up and the faculty is going to start with, 'Oh no you don't!'
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Shock of shock, professors think they should be paid more and have better benefits. That study, by the way, ain't that "confidential." If I thought it was, I would have put it up in its entirety on the blog for the heck of it. I still might.

The study basically says, that of the schools SMU wishes it could be, its pay lags behind. Of the schools that SMU is competititve with, it is on par or slightly better. Big yawn.

Did anyone ask those professors if they lived in homes owned by SMU paying rent well below the market rate? Because some of them are.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:36 pm

Oh my gosh, the whole CONFIDENTIAL REPORT is now online!!! Aaagh! Run for the hills!

Memo to Elizabeth Bridges: Just 'cause you say it is confidential, doesn't mean it is.

Edit: OK, I deleted the report because it is really long it wasn't that funny. The report isn't that interesting, but if you want a copy, I'll send you one. Nothing on it says it is confidential. I am not on the faculty and I have a copy.

One thing the report does say, and the faculty probably wishes it does stay confidential, is that SMU has a ridiculously generous retirement plan. I guarantee you it beats 9 out of 10 fortune 500 companies' plans. I know, I work for one. Actually, it might beat 10 out of 10.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:40 pm

Gee! SMU pays less than all 13 Tier 1 Universities analyzed. Shocking! Perhaps may I suggest because SMU is not Tier 1.
Stallion

Postby SMUPhil » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:53 pm

Also, it seems to me that if we raised salaries, that would mean we would also look for someone of higher quality to work for that salary. Plus, and this may seem wrong to some people, but if that is the salary you agreed to and signed on the contract, do you have any right to complain about it? I'd say "fine, go work at Carnegie-Mellon then since they pay more...oh, they aren't hiring tier 2 quality professors? hmm, not sure what to tell you."
Sent from my Motorola brick.
SMUPhil
All-American

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:19 pm

I wish I was smart enough to write that story when I worked at the DC. The author is guaranteed an A in all her classes for sure.
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:22 pm

mr. pony wrote:Three words - well, four...

UH, COST OF LIVING!!!!

Is that even factored in?

I can see it now. Athletics are finally getting revved up and the faculty is going to start with, 'Oh no you don't!'
And I would wager that maybe 1% of the current faculty/staff of SMU is living in University Park, a subdivision that was originally created for them to live in back in the '20s & '30s and to be within walking distance of the campus. All of those little bungalows have now been razed for larger residences that current faculty/staff could probably never afford.
MrMustang1965

Postby smu diamond m » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:23 pm

except for the classes that don't get paid that low. cox is up in the 130k+ range, and the engr profs just below that.
Sir, shooting-star, sir.
Frosh 2005 (TEN YEARS AGO!?!)
The original Heavy Metal.
smu diamond m
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:49 pm

Let's see, that professor makes 72k, has no kids, and takes having a "partner" making similar money to get a "pretty decent" salary. Boo f-n hoo. My parents combined don't make anywhere near 72k, and they raised two kids just fine. If they don't like it, they should try to get tenure somewhere else.
couch 'em

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:50 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:And I would wager that maybe 1% of the current faculty/staff of SMU is living in University Park, a subdivision that was originally created for them to live in back in the '20s & '30s and to be within walking distance of the campus. All of those little bungalows have now been razed for larger residences that current faculty/staff could probably never afford.

Actually, more than you realize. Think about it. SMU owns a lot of property around the campus. They aren't just buying commercial property and condos. They own a lot of houses too, and not of the frat house variety. They rent those houses out to faculty and staff at below-market rates.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:50 pm

One there's a glut of college professors. Two, cost of living in Dallas is much lower than some of the other "benchmark" cities used in the survey. Three, these guys can raise their salaries at SMU by getting grants, etc. I thought in fact that SMU had moved to a more grant based pay system for its tenured faculty because that's what the faculty wanted. If the faculty members are too lazy to hustle for grants, then they'll feel it on pay day. You know the old saying, "Publish or perish". :shock: Waah, waaah.
EastStang

Postby DiamondM » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:53 pm

I actually think this is a problem. Those of you telling them to go somewhere else for a job apparently didn't get the part of that being exactly the problem. We want professors with a reputation for excellence, and paying them less than other places like Carnegie-Mellon (really, you think it's okay to pay them less than Carnegie-Mellon?) is unacceptable.

As for cost of living, I know from experience that it the cost of living is quite a bit less in the nicest parts of Durham than anything equivalent here (althought the calculator I used for the other cities I was less familiar with said it's more expensive to live in the greater Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area than in Dallas). Winston Salem is less expensive. Pittsburg and Nashville are slightly less expensive than Dallas, and Atlanta is only slightly more expensive by the same margin. South Bend is over 10% cheaper to live in than Dallas.

Anyway, I tend to agree that SMU has focused way too much in the last 15 years on brick and mortar (though I disagree on the example they used -- Ford Stadium) and not enough on endowment, which, if handled properly, can buy both endowed professorships AND new administration buildings, new rock climbing walls, new parking garages, new business seminar centers, etc.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Well, the rock climbing wall/Dedman addition came out of increased student fees. And the parking garages are City Code requirements, not any more onerous than any other cities. And Ford was paid with money raised on top of the money raised in the capital campaign. I also can't tell you how many times I have heard faculty whine and complain about the relative "squalor" in which they have to teach and work. And make no mistake, they were complaing about that ten years ago, too.

I don't have too much sympathy for faculty. The reality is that most of their benefits exceed the private sector and their peers (their retirement package is ridiculous).
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:21 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:their retirement package is ridiculous.
Blog: you've mentioned their retirement packages twice now. Can you give us an overview of what it is? Thanks.
MrMustang1965

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop