PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OT: DMN - Black at SMU

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OT: DMN - Black at SMU

Postby smudubs » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:25 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Hey I'm white.

And I love you for it OTP. LOL.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:31 pm

In the words of your mom
" hell na "
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:51 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/blackatsmu/

FYI, this article was THE front page story on the Saturday DMN paper edition.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby SMU 86 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:02 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:In the words of your mom
" hell na "

We all love OTP. :D :D
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Digetydog » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:01 pm

smudubs wrote:
Digetydog wrote:Most of you people are bat [deleted] crazy when it comes to understanding why black and Hispanic people often feel uncomfortable at places like SMU or UT. We are always different and treated differently.

Just because I am Latino some people on my freshman floor suggested that I got into SMU because of some sort of special program. They were right. It was called the Honors Program.

Yet, the same people never said a word about how two mentally [deleted] Sorority girls in my stats class managed to get out of high school much less into SMU. The same people never said a word about the KA in my finance class who made a 16 on the mid-term.

SMU was very good to me and the vast majority of students were good people. Nevertheless,it wasn't all wine and roses.

Do like I have and accept that many will never understand this point. No need to beat a dead pony.

I do. Furthermore, I understand that I had an opportunity to "blend in" that black students didn't.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Phxfan » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:46 pm

Just wanted to say that I am glad you are talking about this. That is good. One person mentioned the ASU "thug" party. That was far worse than what happened at SMU. The " thug" party took place on MLK Day. So, the intent was pretty clear.
Black folks have never gotten a "fair" shake in this thing. Not since the first slave ship hit the shore. It is what it is. But you folks are talking about it. I didn't see that much interest in Tempe about the MLK/thug thing.

I started a thread a few day's back on Oak Lawn. The thought that it might be good for SMU PD to help the DPD deal with something that could give SMU outreach, and help the school in so many ways. I don't care if it is H/P, U/P or Oak Lawn. This could help SMU. This could help Dallas. You would be doing a service, to neighborhoods. Here is something that came up a couple of day's ago, in Tucson. I would not have posted this, unless it just happened so near my post on outreach.

http://www.kvoa.com/story/30780383/3-ua ... ic-actions

Please note, the cop does not say UA community, but just community. They patrol a large part of Tucson, ASU patrols all of Tempe. So you help the city, you basically have billboards driving around Dallas. Wish SMU the best.
Phxfan
All-American

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:08 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:[quote="rodrod5"]why should SMU have to recruit "blacks"

Except in sports right?

Pretty sure they are recruiting athletes. Their race is what it is...and not a determining factor in their recruitment. You seem to be in the right area code, but then you swerve of into space and lose the plot a bit.

No, I was just trying to make point. Obviously we don't exclude or ignore them nor are we indifferent to them in that area because it benefits the SMU athletic program.[/quote]
You allowed your desire to make a point override the necessity for it to make sense.

That's the same shallow process bereft of thoughtful oversight that throws up the poster for a party that started this discussion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:14 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:In the words of your mom
" hell na "

You are the man.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:And please...please, quit with the tired tale of the ivy's not having athletic scholarships. Most of their students earn significant financial aid, just not for athletics. They are getting the assistance, it's just a different color of money.

Point is the aid is not based on athletics. And by the way Puck, while I may differ with you at times I appreciate the way you go about it. You can disagree without being disagreeable.

The aid is based on admittance and it's pervasiveness is relatively new...it is how they draw more socio-economic diversity. When you receive more money in alumni donations in one weekend than most schools will receive in a decade, you can do this.

Again, the point here is to pair the altruistic desire to expand opportunity with the logical means to do it. Once you show success, even on a smaller scale, you facilitate growth and a further expansion of opportunities.

And...don't mean to sound, well, mean. This is a results oriented discussion where emotions and ego lead to losses and failure. Politics as usual led to the current status and can't be accepted as part of the solution.

Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:20 pm

Digetydog wrote:
smudubs wrote:
Digetydog wrote:Most of you people are bat [deleted] crazy when it comes to understanding why black and Hispanic people often feel uncomfortable at places like SMU or UT. We are always different and treated differently.

Just because I am Latino some people on my freshman floor suggested that I got into SMU because of some sort of special program. They were right. It was called the Honors Program.

Yet, the same people never said a word about how two mentally [deleted] Sorority girls in my stats class managed to get out of high school much less into SMU. The same people never said a word about the KA in my finance class who made a 16 on the mid-term.

SMU was very good to me and the vast majority of students were good people. Nevertheless,it wasn't all wine and roses.

Do like I have and accept that many will never understand this point. No need to beat a dead pony.

I do. Furthermore, I understand that I had an opportunity to "blend in" that black students didn't.

Thanks for sharing that. Gives a different perspective on things.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:29 pm

I crossed over the genetic border 8 years ago now I'm trying to build a wall to keep myself out
One Trick Pony

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:34 am

I won't jump into this discussion of safe zones, quotas, PC or equal opportunity laws or rulings, because we are light years ahead of where we were before the Civil Rights legislation and affirmative action, but further progress will continue to be impeded until we take a hard look at public education.
I was shocked when 'Moonbeam', Gov, Jerry Brown, was discussing the recent closing of the LA school system.. a school district that consisted of 650,000 students! These districts are impossible to manage.
Ask any teacher what they need to be successful and they will tell you parental involvement. We need to reduce the size of these districts by breaking them up and try to refigure these mini-districts back into community schools while balancing integration goals. Look at statistics of these major districts, those that could afford it moved their kids three decades ago. most of the remaining kids don't have the opportunity to qualify much less succeed in higher education. Even the DMN wrote a scathing article on DISD discussing Black flight from the district to suburban districts. It seems these large districts are made solely for the benefits of the administrators and school boards, rather than the students and their teachers. No wonder parents feel powerless.
Anyway in the meantime, try to respect one another and remember what we have accomplished as we figure out how to solve the impediments that remain.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:37 am

And don't forget birth control
One Trick Pony

Postby whitwiki » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:52 pm

Can't we all just get along?
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby smudubs » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:45 pm

gostangs wrote:But it is already, for those not sucked in by the grievance industry.

My son is "not sucked in by the grievance industry" and SMU was never under consideration. Despite me begging him to apply, he refused to do so. My wife and I have four SMU degrees between us and he refused to apply. He's been on and around campus his entire life and refused to apply.

The bottom line is the highest qualified applicants, irrespective of race have better options than SMU. Highly qualified African-American applicants can pretty much chose any school in the country and SMU is not high on that list. My son applied to his dream school and three safety schools where he is guaranteed automatic admission (MIT, UT, A&M, and OU). The notion that he did not consider SMU because he is some malcontent is far from true. While I cannot speak to why all African Americans do not consider SMU, I can speak to why my son did not.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop