PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby No Quarter » Sun May 26, 2002 3:26 am

All of our valiant reviewers are way too young, but does anyone reading 'burger wars' recall a Goff Burger? My memory is a chargrilled burger with cheese and chili and one of the few sandwiches on which lettuce and tomato was pointless.

Also, in those distant days before the Golden Arches, there was a Toddle House across the street from the campus with a fine burger as we used to think of them. All of you seeking the one, three, five pounders would have had to order a bunch though!
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby whatasteve » Mon May 27, 2002 7:29 pm

While I'll thank you for calling me too young, I confess I have had a Goff's burger. Quite tasty. Maybe it should be added to the list?
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Mon May 27, 2002 8:02 pm

The only Goff's in town at one time was located on Live Oak across the street from what is now Tipperary Inn. There was also a great drive through at Mockingbird and Abrams called Charco's....ahhh, those were the days.

Need to make a few corrections. Had a burger for lunch today at Campisi's to refresh my memory. The beef patty is between 3/8 and 1/2 inch thick unlike Jake's 1/8 inch patty. Also the price of the Campisi's burger is $4.25. Hope that clears everything up.....Whatasteve. Oh yeah, my burger was great!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whatasteve » Mon May 27, 2002 9:27 pm

and I've got a bag of Dog Chow at home you'll love.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Tue May 28, 2002 11:19 am

Sorry, PK, but I'm afraid I've got to go with Whatasteve on this one. Campisi's burgers are average, at best.

More importantly, isn't Goff's still over there on Lovers Lane, just west of the Tollway? That place got me through college. I hope it's not gone, and would love to see a report from the PonyFans.com panel of burger experts.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Tue May 28, 2002 12:10 pm

To whatasteve and PK:

The Goff's I remember was on Lover's Lane just past the RR tracks roughly opposite 'The Rib' or the 'Doak Walker 37' sporting goods store. So far as I know that was the original location.

To Charleston Pony:

Like you I go for Texas BBQ when in Dallas, but prefer "Solly's" (used to be Salih's) which used to be in Preston Center but is now in Addison on Beltline. I grew up scarfing Salih's, but I like Dickey's a lot also (was in school the same time as Liz, etc.) and Dickey's is simply the best for a last taste of Texas if leaving Dallas on Delta or NW.

To everyone:

Who remembers Shanghai Jimmy and Chili Rice in any of many locations, including the branch at SMU?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby PK » Tue May 28, 2002 2:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SMUguy:
<B>Sorry, PK, but I'm afraid I've got to go with Whatasteve on this one. Campisi's burgers are average, at best.

More importantly, isn't Goff's still over there on Lovers Lane, just west of the Tollway? That place got me through college. I hope it's not gone, and would love to see a report from the PonyFans.com panel of burger experts.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've said all along it's a matter of personal taste. There are moments when we will all agree that one burger or another is just plain terrible, but after that, there is plenty of room for disagreement.

All of you guys are too young to remember. The original Goff's was on Live Oak. Later the owner opened up the one on Lovers Lane and ran both for awhile. Eventually he closed down the one on Live Oak, but the one on Lovers is still there.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby PK » Tue May 28, 2002 2:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by whatasteve:
<B>and I've got a bag of Dog Chow at home you'll love.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being that you are the Dog Chow expert, I'll take your word for it! BTW, glad to see you still have all your fingers. Bet that shark eyed them pretty closely.
PK

Postby whatasteve » Tue May 28, 2002 4:13 pm

I admit, there were times I was a little tense when feeding the shark.

And I don't eat the Dog Chow - I'd have teeth marks in me if I did. Although if you have enough beer beforehand, milkbones are tolerable. A little dry and grainy, perhaps, but they'll keep you alive, I guess. But I repeat - you have to drink a hell of a lot before venturing down that road to nausea.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby bodo » Fri May 31, 2002 1:36 pm

best burger in dallas in burger house on hillcrest..end of story..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pony4Life:
<B>I know, this isn't football. But in the interest of providing valuable information to fans who come to Dallas to see their team get whipped by the Pony Stampede, I thought I might call on our culinary critics -- Peruna Punch, whatasteve and PK -- for an expert opinion.

On a recent trip to Two Rows, I noticed on the menu that they have a new item: a burger with TWO half-pound patties on there.

I'd offer my own opinion, but I measure in at 5'8" and 145 pounds. The chance I could squeeze that into my gizzard is about as likely as Sean Stilley leading the little froggies to the Conference USA title next year. In other words: No Way.

Fellas, can we get your expert opinions?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
--Bodo
bodo
Scout Team

Postby Corso » Fri May 31, 2002 1:50 pm

Not so fast, my friend!

Burger House and Balls are the two most overrated burger joints in town. The cafeteria burgers at Hughes-Trigg are as good as those are. There is nothing exceptional (or even above average) about those burgers. They're edible, but that's all.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Fri May 31, 2002 2:16 pm

Our latest foray led us to Uptown Bar and Grill just off McKinney Avenue and not far from the Crescent. We are glad to announce that we have a new leader....these burgers were excellent!! This is how I rate them now:

1. Uptown Bar and Grill
2. Campisi's
3. Two Rows (tie)
Tipperary Inn (tie)
5. Jake's
6. Snuffer's

The other's will disagree with me on the rankings after No.1, but we had no problem agreeing on Uptown being the very best so far.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 05-31-2002).]
PK

Postby whatasteve » Fri May 31, 2002 7:25 pm

On principle, if nothing else, it pains me to agree with PK on burger analysis. It hurts even more to side with D Magazine, which also ranked Uptown the best in DFW. We've all seen in recent weeks the credibility that rag has (see the Mark Cuban fiasco in its latest issue). But I admit - they know a good burger (at least in this case) when they taste one.

However, our man PK nailed it when he said Uptown Bar & Grill is by far the best we've had so far. The official rankings, as they stand at the moment:

1. Uptown Bar & Grill
2. Jake's
3. Tipperary Inn
4. Two Rows
5. Campisi's
6. Snuffers

The Uptown's burger was sensational. Just a slight taste of salt, which I realize most people like. But beyond that, damn-near perfect. Even had the last couple of bites of Whatachick's burger, and the (temporary) presence of pickles didn't even ruit it. The bun wasn't up to Tipperary standards, but all in all, this is one burger that will be tough to top. Not impossible, but someone is going to have to offer up a world-altering hunk of meat to climb to the top of the rankings.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PX » Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:44 am

Dammit you werent supposed to go to Uptown B&G until I got back to town! It was supposed to be Adairs this week........ This isnt fair. I havent even had a chance to post my evaluation of Jakes yet.
Anyway, here goes: The Works at Jakes has alot to offer, double meat, double cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, etc. Unfortunately, as previously noted by others the beef patties on the Jakes burger were rather thin, and mine were fairly greasy, probably because they are cooked on a flat, pancake type griddle, instead of a grill. This was one time that PK might have considered going with the double meat burger, because the single patties were not nearly enough.
While Jakes wont be taking first place in any of the categories I previously outlined, it was a strong all-around effort, and Jakes debuts at #2 in its first week on the charts. Here are my official rankings.

1. Tipperary Inn.
2. Jakes.
3. Two Rows.
4. Campisis.
5. Snuffers.

If Jakes would put a little more beef in their patties they could make a serious run at #1.

I cant believe you went to Uptown without me. Swine.
PX
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jun 02, 2002 9:13 am

To: No Quarter

Funny you should mention Salih's (or Solly's as it's now known). I grew up on the same street in N.Dalla with Robert Salih and was a classmate of his at SMU. Great memories of the old neighborhood (Hayden Fry & Jim Meyers, Cowboys OL coach, were also neighbors).
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop