PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dale Hansen Lawsuit with Dallas CAN

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby PonySoprano » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:01 am

mr. pony wrote:It is still a valid question why no one else has gotten it or will ever get it. That's not looking in the rear view.

Whether another school will ever get the DP does not undo the fact that we got it. It was 20 years ago and we are still talking about it - that's looking in the rear view.
PonySoprano
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:33 pm

My dislike of Hansen works on many levels, not just for SMU.

Ponysoprano said it best:
I think he is nothing but an [deleted] full of self-importance (and flatuence).

I can't think of much to improve on that statement.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mr. pony » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:07 pm

[quote="jtstang] Let me ask you this--how would somebody else getting the death penalty help you cope with your own insecurities about the fact that SMU's road to current suckiness began with its cheating that got it the death penalty? Misery loves company? That's lame.

Thanks. I appreciate the question.

You don't see the stigma that has been attached to SMU as the ONLY program to ever receive the death penalty? That continues to damage the university to this day.

Giving the DP to the other 10 or 15 schools that deserve it would push SMU's sins rightfully to the middle of the pack.

Moreover, it's simply a matter of doing what's right. These other schools completed DP eligibilty requirements - they should get the DP.

Justice gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling, I guess.

Next question.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySoprano » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:05 pm

The stigma is gone. The DP happened 20 years ago. The class of freshman starting this fall were not even born when we got the DP.

The problem is that people associated with the University won't let it go. Get over it. The general population does not associate SMU with the DP. I talk to people I work with and unless they are a long time college football fan with ties to this area, they have no idea that there was ever a DP. They just associate SMU with poor football, like the way people associated Northwestern with bad football in the 1980s.

Let it go. Its time to quit crying about it.

In life you are faced with challenges and adversity. When that happens you have two choices. You can moan "why did this happen to me," "this is not fair" and sit and cry about it. The other choice is to get up off your [deleted], face the problem head-on and do something about it. Let's move forward.
PonySoprano
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Since we're strolling down memory lane...this one's for mr. pony. ;)

MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop