PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jaws Caught off Martha's Vineyard..

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jaws Caught off Martha's Vineyard..

Postby WorldStang » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:36 pm

I'm sure some of you saw this, but if not.. kinda cool.

BTW.. it's Shark week on the Discovery channel.. how appropriate

The picture says it all.

``This shark could eat you!'' said Steven James, president of the Boston Big Game Fishing Club, which staged this weekend's monster shark derby on Martha's Vineyard.

Despite its monstrous proportions - 1,191 pounds - this toothsome tiger shark did not win the competition, however, because the captain was six minutes too late into the Oak Bluffs harbor.

``This is an unbelievable monster shark . . . it's truly a dinosaur,'' said James, who had to break the news to the captain, Damon Sacco, out of Sandwich, that his entry missed the deadline.

``It's the agony of defeat,'' James said.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Re: Jaws Caught off Martha's Vineyard..

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:39 pm

Absolutely huge

WorldStang wrote:I'm sure some of you saw this, but if not.. kinda cool.

``This is an unbelievable monster shark . . . it's truly a dinosaur,'' said James, who had to break the news to the captain, Damon Sacco, out of Sandwich, that his entry missed the deadline.

``It's the agony of defeat,'' James said.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness..."
-Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ThadFilms » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:00 am

Does this not sit well with any of you? I'm no PETA guy - hey folks we're on the top of the food chain for a reason, deal with it... BUT... I mean if this big fella' was off the coast eating people, that's another story - but, as we can recall from biology class, we have no way of knowing hold old a shark is... I mean, this big fella could be ancient...

Doesn't it seem a little pointless to catch him for a competition you don't even win? Hell, this guy could have been around since the revolutionary war and had Titanic passengers for dessert!

All that being said, I'm putting my order in now for shark steak...

man that does sound good...

"F__in' shark steak." -Jeff Bridges as the President in The Contender
ThadFilms

Postby Roach » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:08 am

PonyExpress83 wrote:Does this not sit well with any of you? I'm no PETA guy - hey folks we're on the top of the food chain for a reason, deal with it... BUT... I mean if this big fella' was off the coast eating people, that's another story - but, as we can recall from biology class, we have no way of knowing hold old a shark is... I mean, this big fella could be ancient...

Doesn't it seem a little pointless to catch him for a competition you don't even win? ....
I'm right there with you. If you're catching dinner, that's one thing -- I'm no big activist, either -- but this seems to be a serious case of overkill (so to speak).
Roach
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:18 pm

Roach wrote:this seems to be a serious case of overkill.

Not bad... not bad at all...
ThadFilms

Postby WorldStang » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:03 am

Ok.. if you read the post, this is something that happens once a year up at Martha's Vineyard. So I doubt we're endangering the shark population by snagging the big fella.

Plus.. if this was such a big deal.. don't you think the people in and around that area would have been going nuts and we would have read about that instead? That's right in the hotbed of Liberal wackos and PETA-LAND.

Plus.. shark isn't half-bad with a little red sauce.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:22 am

WorldStang wrote:That's right in the hotbed of Liberal wackos and PETA-LAND.

Let's call it PETA-LAND East, with PETA-LAND West being the Bay Area of California. Just a thought.

I don't see why y'all are making a big deal about it either. He made it back in 6 minutes late, so he was 6 minutes from winning. So he thought he had a chance to win. That is why he took the shark. It was the best of times, It was the worst of times.

Down here in CC I know of a place where I can get shark served with a side of calamari. I think I will go there for lunch today.
CalallenStang

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:42 pm

Does everyone realize where Jaws was filmed? Very, very close to where this shark was caught. I spent part of the summer of '79 sailing around the Cape, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket. Every time we'd jump off the boat into the frigid waters we'd make a joke about Jaws. The captain laughed and said that there was no way you'd find a shark that size in these waters! Amazing.
ponyboy

Return to Around the Hilltop