PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rafael Palmeiro

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rafael Palmeiro

Postby SMUnick » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:56 pm

This guy just got suspended for taking 'roids... Does he get into the hall??
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:31 pm

NO HALL....sorry Raffy.
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Re: Rafael Palmeiro

Postby Hoop Fan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:58 pm

SMUnick wrote:This guy just got suspended for taking 'roids... Does he get into the hall??

thats funny as hell after everyone fawned all over him for 3000 hits two weeks ago. A real black eye for baseball. I hope they out the rest of the offenders like Sosa, Bonds and McQwire too. No scapegoats or selective enforcement should be tolerated.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:04 pm

Wonder what the sentence is for perjuring yourself to Congress?
jtstang

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:08 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:NO HALL....sorry Raffy.

I have to agree. No place in the hall for 'roids users
CalallenStang

Postby SMUnick » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:55 pm

Can he go to jail for lying under oath?
SMUnick
Scout Team

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:18 pm

SMUnick wrote:Can he go to jail for lying under oath?

I would argue no, because at the time he took the oath, he had never been tested for steroids so at the time he might have been telling the truth.
CalallenStang

Postby jtstang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:46 pm

CalallenStang wrote:

I would argue no, because at the time he took the oath, he had never been tested for steroids so at the time he might have been telling the truth.

Well, if you think he might have been telling the truth to Congress, and therefore that these steriods were "accidently" introduced into his system, why do you think there is no room for this innocent man in the Hall of Fame?
jtstang

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:22 pm

jtstang wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:

Well, if you think he might have been telling the truth to Congress, and therefore that these steriods were "accidently" introduced into his system, why do you think there is no room for this innocent man in the Hall of Fame?

You are taking what I said one step too far. I am simply saying that there is no proof that he lied to Congress. I'm not saying he didn't lie, but I am saying that there is no proof of him lying.
CalallenStang

Postby jtstang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:45 pm

Right, there is no proof that he lied to Congress, and there is no proof that he lied about this "accidental" ingestion of steroids. Do you have a strict liability policy for keeping players out of the Hall? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Let me ask it another way. You stated "[n]o place in the hall for 'roids users..." If he was able to offer proof of this alleged accident--in other words, that he did not know he was ingesting steroids--does this change your position?
jtstang

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:59 pm

jtstang wrote: If he was able to offer proof of this alleged accident--in other words, that he did not know he was ingesting steroids--does this change your position?

Yes. But that better be very substantial proof, because he has a drug test against him, and right now I am more inclined to believe a drug test than an empty claim made by him.
CalallenStang

Postby giacfsp » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:00 pm

If Palmeiro doesn't get in, then McGwire (who just about everyone believes was juiced) and Bonds (admitted "accidental" 'roid use) can't go in. And you know they'll get in.

And if anyone mentions the names Giambi and Sheffield as Hall candidates (both of which seem laughable to me, but they've been mentioned as longshot possibilities), then Raffy should have a wing in the Hall named after him.

Having said all that, I am an Orioles fan. What they've done in recent weeks (lose, lose, lose) is an agonizing (but annual) scene. I hope beyond hope that his feeble claims of "unintentional" use somehow get proven true. Of course, I also hope I win the lottery.

It's going to be hard to dust off the Orioles jersey this weekend in Arlington. Thank god the name on the back reads MURRAY, not PALMEIRO.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:17 am

I bet Jose Canseco is just laughing his butt off right now. Is anybody really surprised by this? I guess the only thing I find funny that he couldn't even keep himself clean until he retired. I guess he was too stupid to figure out that he had a bullseye on him. If he'd stayed clean, he would have gotten into thehall. Now, I seriously doubt it. Who knows? Maybe in a few years, he can tell the voters to "not talk about the past" come election time.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:38 am

I'd really like to hear how he "accidentally" got steroids in his system. There are skin creams out there for things like psoriasis (and poison ivy) that have mild steroids in them. Perhaps he doesn't know how to read the label. He says confidentiality agreements prohibit his telling us how it happened. Does he think we're stupid? Confidentiality is for his protection, not MLB. Funny how his batting average in May was about .200 and suddenly he's started hitting again, and oops there were steroids in his system. Accident, coincidence? I think not.
EastStang

Postby Crong » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:41 pm

here is a good take on the issue. it's free to read through tomorrow.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=4287
Crong
Varsity

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop