PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will Dodson Qualifies For U.S. Amateur

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will Dodson Qualifies For U.S. Amateur

Postby 50's PONY » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:30 pm

Dodson, Boles going to the U.S. Amateur

By Aidan Tait
The Oklahoman

Two Oklahomans played their way to the 2005 U.S. Amateur Championship on Monday during the 36-hole local Amateur Qualifier at Quail Creek Golf Club.
Will Dodson, a Jenks High School graduate and senior at Southern Methodist University, fired a 10-under 134 to win his first trip to the U.S. Amateur in five tries.

"I qualified for two U.S. Juniors when I was 15 and 16, but I've never been here before," Dodson said. "I might have been the third or fourth alternate for the Amateur once. This is the first time I've made it, and I'm really excited about that."

Dodson shot a 68 in the morning round and followed up in the afternoon with a 6-under 66.

"I tried to make it boring, just fairways and greens," Dodson said.

"The greens were rolling pretty good, and I rolled some putts in. It was nice to see the ball roll in for a change."

After the morning round, Dodson led Mitch Boles of Marlow by one stroke. Boles, who will be a sophomore at Central Oklahoma, shot an even-par 72 in the second round to grab second place with a 141. In just his second attempt at the local Amateur Qualifier, Boles punched his ticket to the championship at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pa.

"A lot of people tell me I have the swing to make it on the Tour, so hopefully I can work to that," Boles said. "I grew up on a little course in Marlow, so I've never been to this course (Merion) before."

The U.S. Amateur Championship will be Aug. 22-28. Merion Golf Club has hosted more national tournaments than any other course, and Golf Magazine has ranked it the eighth-best course in the country.

"This is one of the most famous courses in the world, and for us to have the opportunity to go play it in competition is really sweet," Dodson said.
50's PONY
Heisman

Postby BUS » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:07 am

Boring Golf is Great Golf. :lol: :D

Have Fun!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Around the Hilltop