PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bush Library: Fox New insider reporting ...

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bush Library: Fox New insider reporting ...

Postby NavyCrimson » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:23 am

well -

i was watching fox news this am when a fox news reporter was providing the "washington whispers' or whatever its called:

8 tx universities are submitting proposals -

bush prefers a university which is faith-based -

apparent front runners are both baylor & us -

mentioned the crawford ranch tie-in which may provide baylor with the advantage (easy traveling back & forth after he leaves ofc) -

i guess the fat lady hasn't sung quite yet -
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby Diamond Girl » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:12 am

We need to remember that Laura is on the board of trustees at SMU, for whatever that's worth.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby DiamondM75 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:58 pm

But wouldn't it make more sense to put the library in a major metropolitan area where the people who want to use and see the library can get easy access, rather than a location where the ex-president can have easy access?

How many times does the president actually go to his library?
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:53 pm

How many times does the president actually go to his library?

Can't resist ... How many times in his life has he ever gone to any library, ever? And this brings up another interesting question. If, as reported, the president doesn't use email, take notes, or put anything in writing, what the heck is going in his library other that a bronze statue and his love letters to Laura?
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:11 pm

DiamondM wrote:If, as reported, the president doesn't use email, take notes, or put anything in writing, what the heck is going in his library other that a bronze statue and his love letters to Laura?

Certainly not pictures of WMD found in Iraq.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Eddie P » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:49 pm

I see this has turned into Michael Moore.com

On the subject, I will concede the point of Baylor having an advantage because of it's proximity to the President's Crawford ranch if I can get, in return, the point conceded that SMU might have an advantage due to it's extremely close proximity to the President's future HOME.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:03 pm

Eddie P wrote:I see this has turned into Michael Moore.com

Now you're getting nasty.
jtstang

Postby mustangkip » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:43 pm

Clearly SMU has the advantage because Baylor is unfortunately located in Waco. :wink:
Class of 83
mustangkip
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:26 pm

mustangkip wrote:Clearly SMU has the advantage because Baylor is unfortunately located in Waco. :wink:

Yeah, but the religious nuts are in Waco, and that is Bush's main support base...
JasonB

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:07 pm

I know in an earlier post about the library, I said that I had it on 'good authority' that the Teasips had the lead on getting it. I now think that's not gonna happen. (Good...I hate Teasips! :twisted: )

The Bushes have bought a multi-million dollar piece of property in Highland Park. This will be 'home' when he leaves office, not Crawford. A house in Highland Park is a lot closer to SMU than a ranch in Crawford is to Baylor.

As to 'how often a president visits his library', here's some information for ya: President Harry S. Truman put his library in Independence, MO...his hometown that he returned to after leaving office. The reason was so he could go to his library EVERYDAY! His office was left untouched from the day he died and it remains just as he left it. (Of course, there's no comparison between Truman and Bush...Truman had the 'nads to drop The Big One on Japan to end WWII...Bush now has us in another Vietnam. :roll: )
MrMustang1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:14 pm

JasonB wrote:
mustangkip wrote:Clearly SMU has the advantage because Baylor is unfortunately located in Waco. :wink:

Yeah, but the religious nuts are in Waco, and that is Bush's main support base...
Ummm....if you notice, everytime Bush needs a good 'shot in the arm' PR-wise, he comes to Dallas and guess where he holds his 'rally'? Moody Coliseum on the SMU campus. You can thank that gap-toothed SMU alum Karen Hughes for that, too.
MrMustang1965

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:34 am

Laura Bush biography ...
http://www.whitehouse.gov/firstlady/flbio.html

http://www.utwatch.org/oldnews/mrt_bush ... 24_05.html

Competition to get Bush library starts
Ruth Campbell
Midland Reporter Telegram
07/24/2005

Some are mum, but others have gotten off to a fast start in the quest to host the George W. Bush presidential library.

Baylor has been working on the proposal for four years, spearheaded by Chancellor Robert Sloan. "He just got the vision of how great it would be for Baylor to host the presidential library," said Tommye Lou Davis, chief of staff to the chancellor and chair of the University Planning Committee.

About 100 people are involved in Baylor's efforts, including Baylor graduate and former Midland Mayor Bobby Burns. Davis said the proposal is now being "fine-tuned" and should soon be ready for print.

Davis said the list of committee members will be part of the proposal, but they aren't distributing it. The university also hasn't started the fundraising process.

Estimates are it could take $50 million to $200 million to build the library. The Clinton library cost $160 million.

"I think it's important to the American people, the children of America, to have an opportunity to learn about the great history of this country," said former U.S. Secretary of Commerce Don Evans, who is advancing the library site selection process.

"It's important for researchers to have the records of the presidency available to them, so they can write a history of the country and a history of the presidency," he said.

"Libraries can serve the purpose of continuing a president's vision," in this case freedom, democracy, compassionate conservatism and education, Evans said.

"It can serve as a place of learning and a place of leadership for the important issues of this community and the world," he added.

The University of Texas System formed a special ad hoc advisory committee in February to steer work on the presidential library proposal. The committee is chaired by James Huffines and co-chaired by Tom Loeffler, former chairman of the UT Board of Regents and a former congressman and Peter T. Flawn, president emeritus of UT Austin and former president of UT San Antonio.

All UT institutions are being invited to participate and contribute ideas and proposals to the committee, a news release said. Appointments to the committee include George S. Bayoud Jr. of Dallas; Louis A. Beecherl Jr. of Dallas; Michelle Brock of Midland; Jan Felts Bullock of Austin; Pam Gilbert of Houston; Sandy Kress of Austin; Lowell H. Lebermann Jr. of Austin.

Also, Dr. Teresa (Terry) Lozano Long of Austin; Wales H. Madden Jr. of Amarillo; Patrick C. Oxford of Houston; William Eugene (Gene) Powell of San Antonio; Raul Romero of Washington, D.C., and Allan (Bud) Shivers of Austin.

According to the Southern Methodist University Web site, the school is keeping quiet about its plans to go for the library. Attempts to reach a spokesperson about the project were unsuccessful Friday.

Texas Tech will discuss its chance to try for the library at its next board of regents meeting Aug. 12, according to a news release.

"Lubbock would be a great place for the George W. Bush Presidential Library and we are honored to be asked to submit a proposal. President Bush and first lady Laura Bush spent quality years in West Texas. They met and married and began their business, professional and political careers in this region. They are loved in West Texas and have the enthusiastic support of great friends in this part of the state," Texas Tech University System Board of Regents Chairman Rick Francis said.

"The success of such an enormous project would require leadership and resources from the entire West Texas region. Should a regional leadership committee come together and raise necessary funds to bring the presidential library to Lubbock, the Texas Tech University System Board of Regents will enthusiastically support those efforts. If efforts reach this point, Texas Tech University - for its part - would provide land and seek to integrate the library with its academic endeavors."

Texas A&M University has announced formation of a presidential library committee at its board of regents meeting Friday. The college is already home to the George H.W. Bush presidential library.

Committee chair is Lowry Mays, San Antonio; members are Phil Adams, Bryan; Bill Jones, Austin; Erle Nye, Dallas; and John D. White of The Woodlands, president of the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents.

"We're honored to receive an invitation to make a proposal for President Bush's library," White said in a statement. "We have some clear ideas on the direction for the proposal and will make an annoucement when appropriate."
http://www.zionsherald.org/Mar2005_shorttake.html
http://www.nbc56.com/artman/publish/article_2678.shtml
http://www.zionsherald.org/March2002_shorttake.html
http://www.dailytexanonline.com/media/p ... 3360.shtml
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:40 am

When you're playing poker, you don't talk about your hand and our administration is being properly quiet. With Mustangs - Laura Bush and Karen Hughes and adopted Mustang [deleted] Cheney in the President's inner circle we are well represented. Laura of course having the ultimate weapon. (The couch looks pretty comfortable tonight, honey). As for Bush getting us into another Viet Nam, no he hasn't. We had over 100,000 casualties in Viet Nam we are no where near that. Secondly, you don't drop the bomb after you've defeated the other side's organized army. Now, we're in the very difficult mop up part of the mission, eliminating the bad guys. After a battle in WWII in which the Chinese suffered 10,000 casualties and the Japanese 1,000, the Chinese commander was asked about how tragic it was. He smiled and said, "Soon they'll be no more Japanese". If the renegades keep killing themselves, soon they'll be no more renegades. Also, I rather having them shooting at armed US troops in the desert than unarmed civilians in NYC.
EastStang

Postby jtstang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:03 am

As for Vietnam, I think we only had 60,000 and something casualties, including MIA's. And you're right it is somewhat flippant to say we are in another Vietnam in the Middle East--it's apples and oranges. There are similarities, however, the most notable is the lack of a true exit strategy in both. We left Saigon pretty much with our tails between our legs, and in worse shape than when we found it. It looks like that may happen in Iraq too. And I'm not much of a Vietnam historian, so I don't know under what circumstances we got involved. We got involved in Iraq under the WMD pretense, so there may be some similarities there as well.

That said, I have nothing but good wishes for those troops actually involved in the Middle East. Breaks my heart everytime a car explodes over there. We need to get them out as soon as humanly possible.
jtstang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:25 am

"Attempts to reach a spokesperson about the project were unsuccessful Friday."

That's pathetic.
MrMustang1965

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop