PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA ON THE WARPATH

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

NCAA ON THE WARPATH

Postby jtstang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:20 pm

For those of you who think the NCAA is not hostile enough to any schools other than SMU:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/08/05/bc.ncaa.indiannicknames.ap/index.html?cnn=yes
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:46 pm

Unbelievable. Next thing you know, the "Fighting Irish" will be attacked by the PC police.
East Coast Mustang

Postby couch 'em » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:06 pm

Nah, 'Irish' are white - that means no stereotype about them is negitive and it is impossible to be biggoted against them.
couch 'em

Postby PK » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:19 pm

Boy howdy...they're kicking butt now. :roll: What next? No more pay checks for players? Get real.
PK

Postby jtstang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:21 pm

Hey, this is a post-season "death penalty" for those schools who try to recruit based on their offensive tribal moniker. Go get 'em, NCAA!
jtstang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:32 pm

I cant stress enough how ridiculous this is. These nicknames, such as Seminoles, Illini, Indians, were picked because of the strength, courage, and pride associated with them. Most Native Americans don't even have a problem with these nicknames. However, once again a vocal minority has superimposed its agenda and in the process is threatening to ruin some significant traditions in college sports. Take, for example, this excerpt from the article:

"Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" would not be allowed by teams on their uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president."

Does this mean that Florida State will have to alter their helmets in bowl games to comply with the NCAA's new regulations? Absurd!
East Coast Mustang

Postby SouthernMustang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:34 pm

Soon PETA will come after us ... and then the new Mustang "alternate" logo will surely be gone. It portrays an innocent animal as something that is mean and brutal -- how can we discriminate and "stereotype" an entire species that way??

I'm surprised they haven't gone after the Colts, employing such young horses is a clear violation of child labor laws.

Since SMU already has first-years instead of freshmen, residence-halls instead of dorms, and Recruitment instead of rush ... we should go ahead and pioneer ourselves in the mascot area as well.
SouthernMustang
Scout Team

Postby PK » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:38 pm

East Coast Mustang wrote:I cant stress enough how ridiculous this is. These nicknames, such as Seminoles, Illini, Indians, were picked because of the strength, courage, and pride associated with them. Most Native Americans don't even have a problem with these nicknames. However, once again a vocal minority has superimposed its agenda and in the process is threatening to ruin some significant traditions in college sports. Take, for example, this excerpt from the article:

"Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" would not be allowed by teams on their uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president."

Does this mean that Florida State will have to alter their helmets in bowl games to comply with the NCAA's new regulations? Absurd!
I may be total wrong here, but if I understand things correctly, the Bowl Series Championship games are not NCAA tournaments nor are any of the other bowl games. However, the I-AA chamionship games are. Imagine that, the BCS conferences dodge another bullet. Basketball is another deal...but then who cares?
PK

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:54 pm

PK wrote:I may be total wrong here, but if I understand things correctly, the Bowl Series Championship games are not NCAA tournaments nor are any of the other bowl games. However, the I-AA chamionship games are. Imagine that, the BCS conferences dodge another bullet. Basketball is another deal...but then who cares?

In the case of FSU, what about an ACC Championship game?
East Coast Mustang

Postby EastStang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:24 pm

The ACC championship is an ACC event, not an NCAA championship event. But you're right the 1-AA championships would be affected. William and Mary Tribe, So. Ill. Salukis, would definitely be impacted by this. What's funny is that William and Mary started out as an indian college in the 1600's which predates even the NCAA and football, hence its first nickname, the Indians. They got more PC and named it the Tribe, but that hasn't satisfied the NCAA speech nazis. That they'll spend this much energy and power on a trivial issue like this and let the BCS schools and players act like pimps and hos, is just plain wrong.
EastStang

Postby mrydel » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:35 pm

EastStang wrote:The ACC championship is an ACC event, not an NCAA championship event. But you're right the 1-AA championships would be affected. William and Mary Tribe, So. Ill. Salukis, would definitely be impacted by this. What's funny is that William and Mary started out as an indian college in the 1600's which predates even the NCAA and football, hence its first nickname, the Indians. They got more PC and named it the Tribe, but that hasn't satisfied the NCAA speech nazis. That they'll spend this much energy and power on a trivial issue like this and let the BCS schools and players act like pimps and hos, is just plain wrong.

Interesting thought. I wonder if the NCAA would object to team names and mascots "pimps" or "hos". Is that offensive to any particular group. Seems pretty universal to me.
mrydel

Postby jtstang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:52 pm

EastStang wrote:The ACC championship is an ACC event, not an NCAA championship event. But you're right the 1-AA championships would be affected. William and Mary Tribe, So. Ill. Salukis, would definitely be impacted by this.

I think Saluki referes to a breed of dog.
jtstang

Postby East Coast Mustang » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:37 pm

More nonsense...

"Florida State has received permission from the Seminole tribe in Florida to use the nickname. The NCAA, however, made its decision based on a different standard.

'Other Seminole tribes are not supportive,' said Charlotte Westerhaus, the NCAA vice president for diversity and inclusion. "

I don't know whats scarier, today's decree from the NCAA, or the fact that the NCAA has a VP for "diversity and inclusion" in the first place. Sounds like an organization with too much money and not enough sense.
East Coast Mustang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:14 am

FSU is lining up its lawyers right now. Only two schools in Texas are affected by this nonsense: Midwestern State University (Indians) in Wichita Falls (Div. II) and McMurry University (Indians) in Abilene.
MrMustang1965

Postby Water Pony » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:04 am

jtstang wrote:
EastStang wrote:The ACC championship is an ACC event, not an NCAA championship event. But you're right the 1-AA championships would be affected. William and Mary Tribe, So. Ill. Salukis, would definitely be impacted by this.

I think Saluki referes to a breed of dog.

Yes, Salukis are an ancient, Egpytian breed: shaggy. white greyhound types.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop