PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN Pop-Up for SMU Game

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN Pop-Up for SMU Game

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:27 pm

While searching the DMN online last night, a 'pop-up' advertisement for purchasing tickets for the SMU v. Baylor game came on the screen. While I HATE 'pop-up' advertisements I have to admit that I was pleased to see some publicity for this MUST-WIN game for the Mustangs!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:19 am

That pop-up ad now advertises both the SMU v. Baylor game and the SMU v. TCU game. It came up when I went to the 'Sports' section & the 'Texas Living' section of the DMN. Not sure if it will come up elsewhere on the DMN site.
MrMustang1965

Postby ponyboy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:11 pm

And apparently SMU has contracted with DART for a little advertising. Saw an SMU/CUSA ad prominently displayed downstairs at Mockingbird Station and another two on buses in South Dallas. Good work.
ponyboy

Postby HorsePower » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:13 am

Outstanding! Good job.

Another idea I'd like to see: there are some cities where there's a bannner (sort of like the ones hanging in the Ford Stadium) that hang from every streetlight for a few miles around the campus. They saturdate the neighborhood/city and make it more than clear which is the school of choice in town.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:31 pm

HorsePower wrote:Outstanding! Good job.

Another idea I'd like to see: there are some cities where there's a bannner (sort of like the ones hanging in the Ford Stadium) that hang from every streetlight for a few miles around the campus. They saturdate the neighborhood/city and make it more than clear which is the school of choice in town.
Next time the Mustangs are in Lubbock to play the Red Raiders, take a close look at how that town embraces the university. Banners hanging from street lights (like you describe) and other visible images of the city's support for the school are just small examples.

However, SMU suffers from the same fate of other schools in major metro areas. Ft. Worth isn't exactly rolling out the red carpet for the Froggies; there's only a small section of Austin that caters to the Longhorns; Waco isn't bending over backwards for Baylor; and Houston doesn't even act like it's the home of the Cougars or Owls.

The 'small towns' that show support for the universities in their city limits do so because their economies are supported by the students and visitors. That's something that Dallas doesn't have to worry about and never will.

It would be nice if the city of University Park showed more support for SMU, though. Perhaps when we get the GWB Library that will change. But I doubt it.
MrMustang1965

Return to Around the Hilltop