PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Little poll for all the Texans here

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ok, you're a Texan, are you a Southerner?

Yep, I'm a Texan and a Southerner.
52%
Nope, I'm just a Texan.
48%

Total votes : 33

Postby ponyboy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:58 pm

Thad > I grew up in Lake Highlands, where most everyone were transplants.

Must be the age difference then. I went to Northlake Elementary, Lake Highlands Junior High, and LHHS where I graduated in 1985. I've been saying for a long time that this nation is being California-ized due to the influence of Hollywood.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Stampede » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:25 am

I think one of the reasons for the differing opinions on whether or not Texas is part of the South or its own entity is based on when your ancestors came to Texas.

For example, my ancestors came to Texas in 1854 from Norway and settled Bosque County & I consider Texas to be a part of the South. They were farmers, and fought for the Confederacy in Hood's regiment and Forrest's cavalry, but were not slave owners. Again, this was post-Republic and Texas was a part of the Union only nine years when they got here and then quickly seceeded.

It also depends on what part of Texas you are from - Tyler is very different from Lubbock, which is very different than Galveston or Brownsville.
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:20 am

Interesting. My ancestors were loyalists who left New Jersey in 1776 and settled Natchez, Mississippi as part of the territory known then as West Florida. We left there in 1888 for the San Antonio, Uvalde, Utopia area.
ponyboy

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:36 am

With the tragedy in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, it really doesn't matter whether we're Texans or Southerners, does it? We're all AMERICANS and we need to do whatever we can to help our fellow countrymen.
MrMustang1965

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:53 pm

Yessir, we ARE all Americans. But it still matters that I'm a Texan.
Bergermeister

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:24 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Yessir, we ARE all Americans. But it still matters that I'm a Texan.
Yep...once again, it's TEXAS that comes to the rescue like the proverbial cavalry. Thank God for Texas!
MrMustang1965

Postby couch 'em » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:26 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:With the tragedy in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, it really doesn't matter whether we're Texans or Southerners, does it? We're all AMERICANS and we need to do whatever we can to help our fellow countrymen.

Yes, we are all Americans, and should do everything to help out our contrymen, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss other topics.
couch 'em

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:39 pm

couch 'em wrote:
MrMustang1965 wrote:With the tragedy in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, it really doesn't matter whether we're Texans or Southerners, does it? We're all AMERICANS and we need to do whatever we can to help our fellow countrymen.

Yes, we are all Americans, and should do everything to help out our contrymen, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss other topics.
:?: Not sure if that was directed at me...I didn't say anything about not discussing other topics. By God, tomorrow night I'll be ready to discuss SMU defeating Baylor!
MrMustang1965

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:31 pm

The South starts just west of Tyler where the tall pines begin, and all one
syllable words have at least two syllables. The West begins in Foat Wuth
which leaves about 100 miles for the Southwest where Big D is.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangkip » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:31 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:
couch 'em wrote:

:?: Not sure if that was directed at me...I didn't say anything about not discussing other topics. By God, tomorrow night I'll be ready to discuss SMU defeating Baylor!

Well we did not beat Baylor but we are beating TCU with less than 8 minutes left. Way cool!!
Class of 83
mustangkip
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop