PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Little poll for all the Texans here

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Ok, you're a Texan, are you a Southerner?

Yep, I'm a Texan and a Southerner.
52%
Nope, I'm just a Texan.
48%

Total votes : 33

Little poll for all the Texans here

Postby DixieTech » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:36 am

Me and my buddy had a little argument the other day. He's from way west Texas and I'm from north of Houston and the Dallas area. He says Texas is not the South, and I say that I am a Texan and therefore a Southerner as well. I say Texas is definitely the South for a multitude of reasons and he said no. Obviously we disagree, but I figured I'd put it out here to see what y'all think.

Ok, we're all Texans, but you y'all consider yourselves Southern as well?

Yes or no

Me: Absolutely, y'alls turn.
Southern, Texan, American - in that order.
DixieTech
Recruit

Postby bubba pony » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:29 am

I was always told Texans are from the "southwest' not south. remeber the SouthWest Conference?
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:43 am

My family has been born and raised in Texas for at least three generations. I have no interest in the South. The "Stars & Bars" mean absolutely nothing to me other than to easily identify rednecks. In contrast, I look at the Texas flag with a sense of pride. What possible good can come from associating Texas with Mississippi and Alabama?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby The Stampede » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:41 am

Texan and Southerner here. I'm a sixth generation Texan, however that first generation fought for the South with General Hood.

Dooby - don't you mean you identify rednecks with the Confederate Navy Jack? The Stars and Bars has not been misinterpreted by history...you are getting your flags confused.
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Postby DixieTech » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:58 pm

What possible good can come from associating Texas with Mississippi and Alabama?

Well, we are indelibly linked through our history and culture.

I.E. slavery, plantations, civil war, founding of the state, accent, food etc.

Also, the southwest is merely a geographic designation and has little to do with the "South" as a region. Just as North Carolina and Virginia are "mid-atlantic." Remeber, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas are also included in southwest geographic region.
DixieTech
Recruit

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:18 am

O.K. This takes the cake as the stupidest poll ever put up on www.ponyfans.com. :roll:
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DixieTech » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:46 am

Really? I just thought it would be interesting to find out what folks think. Does the subject matter really offend you as much as it seems to? :cry:
DixieTech
Recruit

Postby The Stampede » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:05 am

Seems that people on this board want to avoid the political & philosophical threads (non-athletic) that goes on in other forums. One of the reasons I post on other people's boards more than this one (MustangOrange).
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Postby jtstang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:46 am

DixieTech wrote:
What possible good can come from associating Texas with Mississippi and Alabama?

Well, we are indelibly linked through our history and culture.

I.E. slavery, plantations, civil war, founding of the state, accent, food etc.

You forgot lynchings, that's something a "Southerner first" like you must be really proud of.
jtstang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:56 am

How are Texas, Mississippi and Alabama linked (in your opinion) via the founding of those states?
MrMustang1965

Postby EastStang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:51 pm

I'm not a Texan, nor a southerner. I've lived in the south almost all my life, but was born in the north. I guess that just makes me an American.
EastStang

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:31 pm

I was born a southerner, not a Texan, so this poll is not directed at me. But regardless, I'm here to tell you that Texas is not part of "the South." Texas is Texas. It's a separate deal. You should be proud of that.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:42 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:How are Texas, Mississippi and Alabama linked (in your opinion) via the founding of those states?
Guess I'm not going to get an answer. :roll:
MrMustang1965

Postby DixieTech » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:40 am

Wow, seems a little harsh for just starting a harmless poll. Unfortunately, I can't just browse message boards all the time, but here's my answer Mr. Mustang.

From the moment of anglo settlement in 1821, Texas was founded as a slave state, by Southerners from eastward. As Stephen F Austin stated before the war between the Texans and mexicans, "Texas must be a slave state, of that there is no doubt." The agricultural method of the South was brought by the Austin colony at that time and african slaves were brought in with the colonists. At the same time, the culture of the South was made Texas' own, thereby causing, in large part, the way we are now. So, from the moment of the state's founding, the colonists were Southerners working and living the same way as the rest of the South (alabama, mississippi etc.) That's the indelible link at the beginning, not to mention other thigs like plantation life, Jim Crow, lynchings (the poster who said that I must be proud of lynchings might very well be insane) Solid South one party system, food (BBQ, traditional Southern cooking) etc. In fact, before the wide popularization of the raising of beef cattle in the state, pork was the BBQ meat of choice for many years. So, there's my little foray into Texas history. Obviously there's many books to be written, but I'm sure you asked for just my opinion such as this.

Anyway, for the poster who stated my love for lynchings: I never said anything remotely close to what you implied. That period was a terrible time for the South and America as a whole. But, since you threw me under the bus, as a Texan you must love lynchings as well because Texas was second to Alabama anly in number of lynchings from west to east. See how stupid that sounds?
DixieTech
Recruit

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:16 am

DixieTech wrote:...just starting a harmless poll

I dunno' DixieTech... I grew up in Dallas... and, well, not only did it seem like we weren't from the south - well, I can't think of any of us (in my elementary school) who thought that we were Texan. This is serious: Growing up in DALLAS, I did not hear a "Texas" accent until I was 13... I'm not kidding.

Apparently Virginia is in "the South", well... I dunno' what kind of map they are lookin' at... but whatever.

I was born in Texas, so I'm a Texan. I really don't know what the south is... honestly........ Thus, I "ain't" from the south. I'm from the U.S. of frickin' A.

And I won't back down from that.... because Dallas is not even a Texas city. It just happens to be within its borders...... Ft. Worth is a Texas city. (Don't get me wrong, Ft. Worth has it's charm, and on occaision, I love hanging out there.) ..... but Dallas is a U.S. city... there cannot be an argument.

You don't have to call me darlin'
DARLIN'!!!!
You never even call me by my name.......

Apparently anybody from TEXAS has to know that song, if you grew up in Texas... well I grew up in Tejas and I didn't know that song 'till I was 23... beyond that, I've sang that Karoke hither and thither, but I have actually never, ever heard the original. (Yup, never heard the D.A. Coe original.)

Whatever your motive is here, I respect it... but you seem schocked by our response.... where did you grow up? In Texas... or in the South?
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop