PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My high school gets taken behind the woodshed

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My high school gets taken behind the woodshed

Postby ThadFilms » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:21 am

I know there are a handful of Jesuit grads on the board... so I figured I'd post this.

Coppell 59
Jesuit 24

Well that super sucked...

I figure I'd check out my alma mammy tonight, seeing as I am vacating the metroplex. Coppell has the fifth best RB in the country (according to rivals.com) - no surprise, he's heading to Macky Mack land - and for a while the Jebbies didn't even have to contain him. He fumbled on his first two touches. Jesuit recovered both. It was 17-0 Jesuit at the end of the first quarter. I should have left then.

All right, back to the Mustangs!

Be vewy, vewy quiet. We'w hunting Beaws.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:37 am

yeah but if you're partly a UT fan-it might cheer you up that 4 of those TDs and 150 yards rushing came from UT recruit Emmanuel Moody.
Stallion

Postby Nacho » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:42 am

I saw that game. Moody is the real deal. He has unbelievable strength. He is lightning quick and fast. A potential Heisman winner. Possibly the best hs player I have ever seen in person and I have been to many hs games. Coppell is up against it next week with SLC.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:51 am

BTW for those of you needing a football fix that doesn't involve pathetic NFL Exhibition Football you might want to tune into the Southlake Carroll-Midland Lee game from Abilene at 2:00 on UPN Ch. 21 today. Think I'll go over to Ford Stadium today to see Allen-Mesquite today a 5:00.
Stallion

Postby ThadFilms » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:00 pm

Stallion wrote:yeah but if you're partly a UT fan-it might cheer you up that 4 of those TDs and 150 yards rushing came from UT recruit Emmanuel Moody.

I'd never claim to be partly a UT fan. I have another buddy, from high school, who went to Boston College... he couldn't believe I could not figure out who to root for in the Texas-OU game... "you're from Texas", he said, "I said yeah, but it'd be like a BC fan rooting for Miami."

However, back on topic, the touchdown Moody had to make 17-14 was pretty special. He was stopped cold at the line of scrimmage - or so it seemed - he then broke out of about four tackles, and took off. A quick cut, and then carried another two attempted tacklers in to the end zone with him, all from about 20 yards out. It was as equally utterly demoralizing and utterly amazing. Really shut up our student section, who's chants of "overrated" had accompanied most of his previous carries.

Nacho- you were at the game? What were your rooting interests?

Nice stadium though, and it was cool to have the DFW jets flying above. I mean, that has to be a special sight from above... "Yup, I'm in Tejas, where high school football is king."

I think the funniest thing about last nights game was the strange twist of fate that saw the Jesuit Rangers uniformed like Notre Dame, while the fight song of Coppell was also that of Notre Dame's...

Oh well, Jesuit's going to bounce back big time vs. BL next friday, too bad I won't be in town to see it... but then again, it's not like I make it out to too many of high school games these days... The odd thing about checking in on my high school, from time to time is that, the students still look the same... it's just their names that have changed. I know that's a universal phenomenon, but it's just nice, weird, strange, and wonderful. Bittersweet, I guess...

_________

SMU 27
Baylor 17

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby Nacho » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:30 pm

THAD, A close relative goes to Coppell High. I've been a close observer of their games for several years. Next year I'll be attending the Irving MacArthur games, since another relative will be attending that school.

Coppell has a very nice stadium. Built before robbinhood. Holds about 10k. Will be overflowing next week with SLC here.

You Jesuit guys really are loyal. I thought for sure Jesuit was going to win after gettting off to the 17 point lead. That's football. Strange things happen.

Evidently USC is still in the hunt for young Mr Moody. You never know until signing day. I'm definitely no UT fan. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a Trojan.
Nacho

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:15 pm

If you're a UT fan I wouldn't get too excited about Moody. I'm willing to bet he ends up a So Cal Trojan.
LA_Mustang

Postby ThadFilms » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:36 pm

Nacho wrote:You Jesuit guys really are loyal.

It's definitely built into, what I would call, the "architecture" of their education plan. They build such a strong community spirit, that everytime you run into a member of your graduating class, whether they were in your group of close friends or not, you almost always change your plans to hang out and catch up. Just ran into a guy I had seen five times since graduation... an hour an half later he and his girlfriend were on my couch watching short films I made five years ago... or the time that I hadn't seen a guy in four years, and he calls me out of the blue to be a groomsmen.

It's hard for others to understand, and it's hard to explain. I guess the only things close would be a millitary unit or a sports team. It's much more than simply "a shared experience"... it's the retreats, community days, the long hours of community service, etc.

Nacho wrote:I thought for sure Jesuit was going to win after gettting off to the 17 point lead. That's football. Strange things happen.

Yeah, but you simply can't expect Moody to keep fumbling. I think the game was lost in the first half. The refs gave Coppell an extra fourth down (inexplicably) on the drive that made it 17-14... I'm not saying that that's what cost us, but it was simply that once the Coppell momentum juggernaut got rolling... it was really the fact that Coppell tied it at the half. I felt sure the game was over... I mean, from their perspective, it must have felt like they were winning by 17 going into the half. I wiuld question my boy Bob Wunderlick's play calling at the end of the half. Too conservative, and then the failed trick play. I saw that trick play work last year, and he looked like a genius. I don't think the team was on the same page. Either try to get it down the field, and then, if you have to, run the fake punt. Or play conservative, and punt the ball. Don't play it both ways.

Regardless of all that... Coppell was just a better team. Of course then the score got out of hand...

ThadFilms

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:32 am

re: I know there are a handful of Jesuit grads on the board...

Yeah and we came back the next week and beat Bishop Lynch.

"We sing hurrah for the Blue & Gold"

GO RANGERS!

"THE SMU BLVD - - NO PLACE ELSE" (retired)
Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:38 am

Yeah... that was nice. Seeing as I was moving out of town (and now have moved) I actually went to both of those games - as now days I really don't got to any other than going to the homecoming game every other year.... Well, glad the Rangers got the win over the Fryars, but it was almost undeserved. BL won in every offesnive category except the scoreboard - but, from what I here, that's all that matters.

Here's hoping that history repeats itself for the college boys. Start off with a non-conference opponent... looks liike you might beat them and then lose, then comeback the next weekend and beat your biggest out of conference rivals....

Let's hope that happens for the Ponies...

...and I agree Special_D ... Go Rangers.

ThadFilms

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:28 pm

ThadFilms:

You moved last weekend?

So are you no longer in Dallas?
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:25 pm

Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans wrote:ThadFilms:

You moved last weekend?

So are you no longer in Dallas?

Yep, no longer in Dallas. Down in Austin... just needed to recharge the old mental batteries. Plus the change in geographic scenery helps with the screenwriting.

But I my film is not yet completed, and it's being edited in Dallas, so I will be back quite a bit.

ThadFilms

Postby Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:44 pm

ThadFilms good luck in your new location.

Are you planning on coming back to Dallas for most SMU home games?

Enjoyed meeting you at the Special Delivery Blvd Tent last weekend.
Heisman

Postby ThadFilms » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:04 pm

Special_Delivery_Smu_Fans wrote:ThadFilms good luck in your new location.

Are you planning on coming back to Dallas for most SMU home games?

Enjoyed meeting you at the Special Delivery Blvd Tent last weekend.

Yup, I'll be there... maybe I'll scam a hotdog off of you guys this Saturday.

(I just shot you an email also.)

ThadFilms

Return to Around the Hilltop