PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dallas - #2 Least Safe Place in USA from Natural Disasters

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby friarwolf » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:56 pm

We are all ignorant of the situation. What I am not ignorant of is that you cannot take a slice of history this small - basically the last 100 years - and then jump to conclusions about what is happening. For every article about the polar cap melting in Antarctica, there is other evidence of the cap thickening. Can any of us really say if the ozone layer didn't develop holes in it 10000 years ago? What drives me crazy is there is a certain element that wants to slant the data one way and use it stop cutting trees, drilling for oil, killing the whales, destroying the salamander, etc. I am all for coming up with alternative fuels that burn cleaner and cleaning up the environment but I don't want the baby thrown out with the bathwater. Savvy????
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:45 pm

But you seem to ignore the fact that there are just as many people who are trying to slant the data the other direction, most of whom don't really know what it is they are looking at when they look at the data. Additionally, they have figured out ways to measure fluctuations in the ice caps, and the ozone, guess what, it's by looking at those very ice caps and analzying ice core samples, and guess what, they really are finding that the development of man's "civilization" has indeed cause the earth to warm.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:47 pm

abezontar wrote:But you seem to ignore the fact that there are just as many people who are trying to slant the data the other direction, most of whom don't really know what it is they are looking at when they look at the data.
Sounds like our football program right now.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby friarwolf » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:30 am

Last shot at this and then on to sports. The earth has cooled and warmed throughout time based upon empirical data. What cannot be proved currently is that man and his actions are totally to blame for this recent "warming" trend. Can we do a better job at caring for the environment - absolutely. Should we find alternative fuels? Of course. Should we let a small group of activists stop us from drilling for oil, stop building refineries, stop logging for trees? No.

Wanna bet before it's all over, the environmentalists file lawsuits to stop the rebuilding of New Orleans in an attempt to return it to its original wetland status???????
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby abezontar » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:39 pm

Wanna bet that large part of the reason NO was destroyed was because wetlands were no longer there to keep the land the city is built on up above sea level? If you will read my posts I am not advocating the position of the extremists, I am just trying to show what science has already proven, and that to go to one extreme and completly ignore the situation (as some lobbyists leaders would have us do) is just as bad as those who want to return us to hunting and gathering. I'm like you, I like my truck, I like my nice home, and I like my big screen tv. I'm not giving any of that up. But I am willing to adjust some of my excessive consumption if it will help, which admittely it seems you would agree to do as well.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:56 pm

Stallion wrote:we are entering into the period of the scientific dark ages with the Bush Administration in a way never seen before since the days of Adam and Eve which Intelligent Design experts assure me occurred 10,000 years ago on Monday at 6:30 pm EST.

That's maybe the funniest post I ever read. Other than the one on the other board that said we have a chance to beat TCU, I mean.
jtstang

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:33 am

jtstang wrote:That's maybe the funniest post I ever read. Other than the one on the other board that said we have a chance to beat TCU, I mean.

I guess that post isn't so funny now, is it?
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby mustang_of_smu » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:19 pm

friarwolf wrote:ok boys. global warming is here because the media says so - due to "unbiased research" over the last 100 years proving it. and guess what? us bad unenlightened homo sapiens, ie., the mean old capitalists and conservatives are to blame. hell, we only care about enriching ourselves, right? so, let's all quit driving, stop eating animal or fish protein, stop starting fires to warm ourselves, destroy civilization as we know it, start respecting trees and plant life, and basically start wandering the earth again. i think we should let the evironmentalists and peta lovers go first.

Yea I'm sure it's just the liberal media once again. The word liberal has always been used by a ruthless dictator or legislative body to control its followers. I guess you will be following the rest of the lemmings to your death in Iran or China. Whatever color of people Bush decides he needs to kill millions of next. No politics, please. This is a football board. Besides, you would get lambasted. Make sure to give a dollar at First Baptist on Sunday. I'm sure they will mention when Bush died on the cross for the sins of everyone.
mustang_of_smu
Recruit

Postby Col. Nathan R. Jessep » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 pm

mustang_of_smu wrote:
friarwolf wrote:ok boys. global warming is here because the media says so - due to "unbiased research" over the last 100 years proving it. and guess what? us bad unenlightened homo sapiens, ie., the mean old capitalists and conservatives are to blame. hell, we only care about enriching ourselves, right? so, let's all quit driving, stop eating animal or fish protein, stop starting fires to warm ourselves, destroy civilization as we know it, start respecting trees and plant life, and basically start wandering the earth again. i think we should let the evironmentalists and peta lovers go first.

Yea I'm sure it's just the liberal media once again. The word liberal has always been used by a ruthless dictator or legislative body to control its followers. I guess you will be following the rest of the lemmings to your death in Iran or China. Whatever color of people Bush decides he needs to kill millions of next. No politics, please. This is a football board.
-------
Besides, you would get lambasted. Make sure to give a dollar at First Baptist on Sunday. I'm sure they will mention when Bush died on the cross for the sins of everyone.

-------------------------
Go get a real job, pay your taxes, then come back & lecture us
YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Col. Nathan R. Jessep
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:45 am

Col. Nathan R. Jessep wrote:
mustang_of_smu wrote:

Yea I'm sure it's just the liberal media once again. The word liberal has always been used by a ruthless dictator or legislative body to control its followers. I guess you will be following the rest of the lemmings to your death in Iran or China. Whatever color of people Bush decides he needs to kill millions of next. No politics, please. This is a football board.
-------
Besides, you would get lambasted. Make sure to give a dollar at First Baptist on Sunday. I'm sure they will mention when Bush died on the cross for the sins of everyone.

-------------------------
Go get a real job, pay your taxes, then come back & lecture us

Thank you Colonel!
mrydel

Postby jtstang » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:05 am

Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex wrote:
jtstang wrote:That's maybe the funniest post I ever read. Other than the one on the other board that said we have a chance to beat TCU, I mean.

I guess that post isn't so funny now, is it?

No. It was apparently genius.

BTW, I have a job and pay my taxes. Bush sent our boys to Iraq under false pretenses inasmuch as there were no WMD and now has no clue how to get out. Starting a war without a focused objective and without an exit strategy, and without the foresight of insurgency (this is the middle east, after all), was not his best decision. Nor is his pandering to the extreme right wing of the Republican party. Intelligent design, my @ss.
jtstang

To mustang of smu

Postby friarwolf » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:00 pm

As a fellow mustang, I just want you to know that I have a tree you can hug the next time us mean old capitalists upset you....................unless of course I decide I want to burn it to get rid of Mr. Owl and Mr. Squirrel who have decided to nest in it.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby SWC2010 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:33 pm

Let's settle this once-and-for-all.

Like good Texans, let's drive west of DFW and drill another gas well in the Barnett Shale!
SWC2010
Heisman

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop