PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rome

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rome

Postby Dooby » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:01 am

So I am watching this documentary on the History channel on Roman engineering, which is awesome by the way. And on the screen talking about Roman history is this familiar looking guy. My wife said she had no idea who it was and finally, I am like "Wait... is that Robocop?!?!" Sure enough, Peter Weller who played Robocop and Buckaroo Bonzai, is a professor of literature and Roman history at Syarcuse. Who knew?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:03 pm

THANK YOU!!! I couldn't put my finger on it. good call by your wife.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:22 pm

RoboCop was filmed in Dallas. The most trivial of trivia.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:58 pm

Hmm, last night I thought it was being narrated by one of the guys playing in the HBO series "Rome" (which has a pretty weak plot, but lots of large breasted naked women). I agree the History Channel special is exceptional. Man are we getting old when we start talking about watching shows on the History Channel?
EastStang

Postby couch 'em » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:00 pm

As was Problem Child. The warden was played by one of my friend's father. I think the little league scene was filmed at the park down the street from where I grew up. I remember seeing something being filmed there when I was real little.
couch 'em

Postby ThadFilms » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:30 pm

EastStang wrote:Man are we getting old when we start talking about watching shows on the History Channel?

I saw it too and agreed.

'Course you guys are a couple generations my senior, and I was one of those dorks who watched Nova as a kid.
Eric Dickerson in Pony Excess

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:53 am

Here is a link to movies and TV shows filmed in Dallas...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mo ... las,_Texas

Some notables:
-Benji (1974)
-Debbie Does Dallas (1978)
-Batman and Robin (1997)
-Any Given Sunday (1999)
-Boys Don't Cry (1999)
-Office Space (1999)
*"Well the kind of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do."
If you have a second, check out this page of quotes from Office Space...what a great movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/quotes

Judging by the list, the late 90's were "The Golden Age" for film making in Dallas.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:47 pm

Current STUDent wrote:Here is a link to movies and TV shows filmed in Dallas...

Some notables:
-Benji (1974)
-Batman and Robin (1997)
-Any Given Sunday (1999)
-Boys Don't Cry (1999)
-Office Space (1999)
If you have a second, check out this page of quotes from Office Space...what a great movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/quotes

Judging by the list, the late 90's were "The Golden Age" for film making in Dallas.
What was filmed in the Dallas area for "Batman and Robin"? That's the movie that killed the Batman franchise until this summer's "Batman Begins".

As for RoboCop...the sequel was filmed in Houston.
MrMustang1965

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:51 pm

Actually most of the RoboCop sequel was shot in Atlanta...

As per the original RoboCop... the gas station that they burned down for the film remained burned down in ruins for years, before someone bought the land a redevloped it...

"I've love winning man, it's like better than losing." - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh
ThadFilms

Postby Dooby » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:08 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:
Current STUDent wrote:Here is a link to movies and TV shows filmed in Dallas...

Some notables:
-Benji (1974)
-Batman and Robin (1997)
-Any Given Sunday (1999)
-Boys Don't Cry (1999)
-Office Space (1999)

What was filmed in the Dallas area for "Batman and Robin"? That's the movie that killed the Batman franchise until this summer's "Batman Begins".

As for RoboCop...the sequel was filmed in Houston.

Odd that nobody has mentioned "Born on the 4th of July", which was shot (in part) at SMU and in Fort Worth. The scene at the college protest is Dallas Hall. The scene where Eddie Brickell is singing Dylan's "A Hard Rain is Gonna Fall" was filmed at the Hop on Berry Street by TCU (though it is called something else now).
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ThadFilms » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:01 pm

Talk Radio was also shot around Dallas, and had that big scene at the SMU basketball game filmed at Moody.

ThadFilms

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:52 am

ThadFilms wrote:Actually most of the RoboCop sequel was shot in Atlanta...
Thad: I know you know your films better than I do. But I beg to differ on 'RoboCop 2'. I vividly remember seeing film crews all over Houston during its production. In fact, the George R. Brown Convention Center is the location where the machine goes berserk and kills a lot of folks. My favorite line from that movie: "Behave yourself!"
So...it was shot in Houston & Atlanta?
MrMustang1965

Postby ThadFilms » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:22 am

Yeah...

I had bidiot brain... somehow I forgot that they made three RoboCops... RoboCop 2 in Houston... and 3 was shot in Atlanta. I never saw either of the last two, and I guess that's why I lump them together.

Sorry, my bad.

ThadFilms

Postby Pony Up » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:58 am

ThadFilms wrote:Talk Radio was also shot around Dallas, and had that big scene at the SMU basketball game filmed at Moody.
Didn't someone on this site once claim to have been an extra in both Born on the Fourth of July and Talk Radio?
Pony Up
All-American

Return to Around the Hilltop