PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Ticket's "The Hardline" Coming to SMU?

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Ticket's "The Hardline" Coming to SMU?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:24 pm

By Kevin Bueker
The Shorthorn Sports Editor

A pair of personalities from SportsRadio 1310 The Ticket will come to UTA from 3 to 7 p.m. today on the University Center mall to broadcast a live show and try to recruit listeners to the station.

Alumnus Mike Rhyner and his “Hardline” co-host Greg Williams will host their first P1 Pledge Party at the university. A P1 is a loyal listener to the station.

KTCK Promotions Director Jamey Garner said Rhyner and Williams came up with the idea last year in an effort to get in touch with more college-aged listeners.

“The Hardline” visited Texas Christian University and the University of North Texas and plan on appearing at Southern Methodist University later this month.

“The whole thing has gone pretty well,” Rhyner said. “It’s been a good, fun promotion.”

The program is a mixture of sports talk, entertainment news and general conversing.

“It’s an acquired taste,” Rhyner said. “Everybody has to work through it to see if they gain anything from it.”

While he admits that many students on other campuses had no idea who they were, Rhyner said that as a whole, the P1 Pledge Party has been successful.

Rhyner, who graduated in 1981 on the “13-year plan,” admits to being leery of the commuter-school label at UTA and the potential lack of students at the broadcast.

“When I was here, it was a stone commuter school,” he said. “If you didn’t have to be there, you weren’t.”

On-air personality Corby Davidson will roam the campus looking to talk to students and encourage involvement in the program’s promotions.

Frank’s Red Hot will challenge 10 students to eat a hot sauce-soaked twinkie and marshmallow and chase it with a shot of hot sauce. The winners will receive a Frank’s T-shirt or a gift basket.

Dallas Stars representatives will also be there, promoting discounted ticket rates for the upcoming season. Tickets, ranging from $65-90 normally, will be available for $10-25 with a student ID.

The personalities are expected to talk about UTA athletics and are anticipating visits from several Mavericks teams.

“We want students to utilize our station if they have something to promote,” Garner said. “We want to be a resource for students in this community.”

http://www.theshorthorn.com/archive/200 ... 05-02.html
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby jtstang » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:05 pm

Yep, they'll be there September 26, 3-7, @ Dedman.
jtstang

Postby SmooPower » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:28 pm

They'll also be on the Boulevard from 6pm-8pm this Saturday.
SmooPower
Heisman

Re: The Ticket's "The Hardline" Coming to SMU?

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:18 pm

Peruna wrote:
MrMustang1965 wrote: .... Frank’s Red Hot will challenge 10 students to eat a hot sauce-soaked twinkie and marshmallow and chase it with a shot of hot sauce....
Example A of why there is nothing to listen to on The Ticket except SMU road games (since we should all be in attendance at the home games, of course....) I know it's not their own promotion, but come on ....
So how is it that if a fraternity/sorority/student group/etc. at SMU (or any other college campus in Texas) were to do this it would be considered 'hazing'...but if a radio station does it as a promotional 'stunt', it's not?
MrMustang1965

Postby couch 'em » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:07 pm

Because it is a 'contest' and not required for 'membership in a group'. Somehow, one doesn't matter, and the other is 'mentally damaging' and needs to be banned and prosecuted. :roll:
couch 'em

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:50 pm

I guess the first time someone drops over dead from one of these promotional 'stunts', things will change.
MrMustang1965

Postby jtstang » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:54 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:I guess the first time someone drops over dead from one of these promotional 'stunts', things will change.

Jeez, I don't know what's in your hot sauce, but I doubt Franks is gonna kill anybody.
jtstang

Postby mrydel » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:08 pm

jtstang wrote:
MrMustang1965 wrote:I guess the first time someone drops over dead from one of these promotional 'stunts', things will change.

Jeez, I don't know what's in your hot sauce, but I doubt Franks is gonna kill anybody.

But the Twinkie preservatives will probably kill you in about 40 years. :wink:
mrydel

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:17 pm

jtstang wrote:

I was making a blanket statement about such stunts, in general.
MrMustang1965

Return to Around the Hilltop