PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Question for Turner and Copeland

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Question for Turner and Copeland

Postby buckwheat » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:46 am

Dear SMU Faithful,
When our highest authorities know the main reason that our two revenue sports are lacking why don't they do something about it?
When is SMU going to add reasonable majors for athletes like other top schools offer? Like:
Education
Communication
Sports Management
Parks & Recreation
Physical Education
Until this happens in my opinion SMU will continue to scour the depths of college football and basketball. Its not like they would be conceding our academic integrity but in actuality offering a wider base for all students and athletes.

Sure this has been talked about before but I would like to hear for myself.
Thank you!
buckwheat
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony Up » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:00 am

We just added an education major, and the communications school is very well respected.
Pony Up
All-American

Postby Eddie P » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:23 pm

That was such an ill-researched post I was hoping nobody would answer it. It's particularly offensive to me, considering I graduated from that non-existent communications school...
Eddie P
Heisman

Thanks for the insight!

Postby buckwheat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:09 pm

151 views and 2 responses??
I would appreciate some type of input from some SMU alumni on this topic. Has this topic ever been brought up in the board of regents meetings? Someone out of the 151 people that have viewed this have to know something, at least an opinion.
Thank you
buckwheat
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:38 pm

Eddie P opened his post with an opinion.
And I think the education department includes some classes for teaching P.E.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby covok48 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:06 pm

Before SMU starts adding new majors they need to focus on improving existing majors. I'm a major in an economics program that is so short staffed and in such dilapidated facilities that it's amazing that SMU is even considering new majors.

With the exception of the B-School, Meadows, and now Engineering, every other program seems like an afterthought.
---------------

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning isn't very exciting." -- [deleted] Vermeil
covok48
Junior Varsity

Postby White Helmet » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:32 pm

Brand new lofe scienecs building and 2 added Full Professorships in Biology in the last 4 years. They are not exactly an afterthought.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM75 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:28 pm

covok48 wrote:Before SMU starts adding new majors they need to focus on improving existing majors. I'm a major in an economics program that is so short staffed and in such dilapidated facilities that it's amazing that SMU is even considering new majors.

With the exception of the B-School, Meadows, and now Engineering, every other program seems like an afterthought.

When did they move economics out of the business school?
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Return to Around the Hilltop