PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby lwjr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:52 pm

This is the topic that will not die. A true testiment to the greatness of the Hamburger!
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony Up » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:22 am

I just got in from drinking with some friends. I could use a burger right now.
Maybe more than one.
Proud to be a PonyFan
Pony Up
All-American

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Had a burger this weekend that bested Jake's, Twisted Root, and Snuffers...Ted's Montana Grill, owned by Ted Turner....you can order pretty much whatever they have with either beef or bison...had the bison burger with green chile, cheese, and avocado. Incredible. Unfortunately I don't think they have a location in Dallas (yet). When they do, though, look out...or if your traveling and you see it, try it out.
RGV Pony

Postby lwjr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Pony Up wrote:I just got in from drinking with some friends. I could use a burger right now.
Maybe more than one.

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz.....
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:08 pm

RGV Pony wrote:Had a burger this weekend that bested Jake's, Twisted Root, and Snuffers...Ted's Montana Grill, owned by Ted Turner....you can order pretty much whatever they have with either beef or bison...had the bison burger with green chile, cheese, and avocado. Incredible. Unfortunately I don't think they have a location in Dallas (yet). When they do, though, look out...or if your traveling and you see it, try it out.
Is there a menu item called Hanoi Jane?
MrMustang1965

Postby redpony » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:23 am

quote="MrMustang1965"] ]Is there a menu item called Hanoi Jane?[/quote]

If so, I would imagine it is a mind-bender that also causes internal explosions. :roll:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby giacfsp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:48 pm

PonyPride wrote:Went to lunch last week at Al Biernat's, and had a burger. I know, there's something morally wrong, like going into a fine jeweler and asking to look at a cubic zirconium ring, but I felt obligated to try it.

OMG that thing is awesome.

Quite possibly the juiciest, most flavorful burger I've ever had. I have a friend who is a gourmet-in-training, of sorts, and when I described the burger, the response I got was that it had to be a high-fat kind of beef. Maybe so — it certainly dripped that way — but it was amazing. The wheat bun was lightly toasted but not torched. The onions were strong but not overwhelming. Could have used more cheese, but everything can always use more cheese.

The garlic smashed potatoes were surprisingly average for a place that's supposed to be that good, but the burger was fantastic. Don't know that I'll order it again, because I don't expect to be there often, and if I ever am, I would think I'll order something other than a burger.

But if you find yourself there and in the mood for a burger — give it a shot. Outstanding.

I have never been there, but I had no idea that place even made a burger. I thought it was all filet mignon and lobster.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby NickSMU17 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:49 pm

Some of the best burgers in Chicagoland come from some of the better steakhouses....Rosebud steakhouse is famous for their Sunday night burger specials...
NickSMU17

Postby Otto » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:17 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:"My contractor tells me we'll be opening in late March or early April," said Boso. "However, I'm leaning towards probably opening in May."

So who takes the biggest hit when Twisted Root opens near campus? Fuddruckers? Ozona? Snuffer's?
I know when I'm down for games, I'll be headed to Twisted Root or First & 10.
I really shouldn't drink and type.
Otto
Heisman

Postby SMU89 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:51 am

Found a new place (to me) a few weeks back that I highly recommend called Maple and Motor -- "A Grease-stained Tribute to Low Class Cool" -- located at Maple and Motor which is just east of Elliot's Hardware.

http://www.mapleandmotor.com/
Last edited by SMU89 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMU89

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:33 pm

i tried the twisted root in richardson. the burger was ok but the (preseasoned) curlyque fries will keep me away forever. why do these restaurants think frozen fries that are onion salted to death are a step up? at least i think its onion salt. At $10.25 for burger, fries, and coke, i'll need better.
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:30 pm

maple / motor is "neat" but nothing special. It's extremely small so good luck getting a seat -
Toasted Buns and Jolly Rancher Ice Tea and huge patties. I'll stick to the regular joints myself.

It's amazing this thread has gone on so long. We need a Pizza thread - so many different kinds and places.
Pony_Fan

Postby SMU89 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Agree. To me, the attraction is that it is not a regular place. Guess that's why they say - A Grease-stained Tribute to Low Class Cool. And yes,there will be a line and every seat is taken.

Must be average
SMU89

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:29 am

People in this town like "new" - that's all I'm sayin' -- it's decent but nothing special
Pony_Fan

Postby SMU89 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 am

No doubt. What is "new" that you recommend?
SMU89

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop