PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby Vitale » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:34 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
HorsePower wrote:Ball's and Burger House are weak — very overrated simply because they have been around forever.

Ball's never was very good - about like Burger House - they're neighborhood-type places and an escape from the blase fast food fare. Mediocre, at best.
I've mentioned this before -BUT - if you haven't had a cheeseburger or bacon cheeseburger at Cisco Grill in Snider Plaza, you need to give it a try. VERY supportive of SMU, a good menu, and outstanding food and service.

Couldn't agree more.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Dutch » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Harry0569 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:Maple and Motor has delicious burgers.

meh. :roll:

They're no Point burger, but I enjoyed the food. Loved the tots. My favorite burger joint ever, the Vortex in Atlanta (featured on Man vs. Food) has the best burgers I've ever had. My favorite the Elvis burger, a burger topped with peanut butter, friend plantains, and bacon).

Or the triple stack heart attack: 2 1/2 patties, 2 fried eggs, 6 pieces of cheese, 8 pieces of bacon, instead of buns 3 grilled cheese sandwiches served over a bed of tots and fries covered in cheesy goo. Talk about getting your daily calories

FYI, their tots are the same as you'll find at any restaurant in town. they all come from Sysco or Restaurant Depot. I enjoy tots, but that shouldn't sway your burger decision. I just don't buy the hype of M&MB&B. it's faux dive (que:simpsons scene). for the real thing if that's your style burger go to Club Schmitz. it's real dive, same style burger, but the flattop at Schmitz is much more seasoned over time.

it should be noted, i haven't had a bad burger (or any other sandwich at M&M), just that I don't think it's all that it's been hyped up to be. it's popular with the D-Magazine/HP/Preston Hollow b/c of good marketing campaign and it's sterile
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Longtime » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 pm

Ball's never was very good - about like Burger House - they're neighborhood-type places and an escape from the blase fast food fare. Mediocre, at best.

Agree. Never trust a Burger from the bubble. I'd rate Burger House a little higher, but their burgers are so dang salty.

Just a pet theory of mine: A lot of people who live in the Bubble rarely leave the Bubble and hence they tend to overrate things within their domain. It's no different than any other small town where a local restaurant gets rave reviews, but then you go there and it's nothing special.

My folks have wasted hundreds of gallons of gas chasing the latest, greatest greasy spoon in little towns. Most of the time it's the same old processed cutlet of chicken-fired steak with gravy from a powdered mix and veggies straight from the can.
Longtime
All-American

Postby PK » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Harry0569 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:Maple and Motor has delicious burgers.

meh. :roll:

...the triple stack heart attack: 2 1/2 patties, 2 fried eggs, 6 pieces of cheese, 8 pieces of bacon, instead of buns 3 grilled cheese sandwiches served over a bed of tots and fries covered in cheesy goo. Talk about getting your daily calories

Sorry...no personal offense meant, but...that sounds totally disgusting. 8)
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RedRiverPony » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:28 am

No way — that sounds awesome!

Might not live through the experience, but if you've got one chance for a last meal, that might be it.
RedRiverPony
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Coincidence?

I click on this thread and the ad at the top is for Cheer laundry detergent. Hmmm, burgers and Cheer
smupony94

Postby Buddha » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:26 pm

Had a great weekend watching football, despite the depressing scores (SMU lost, Cowboys won). Thankfully, football is meant to be accompanied by burgers.

I had never eaten at the Stoneleigh P before, so of course, I ordered a burger. The burger itself was really good — juicy with a lot of flavor — but what made it a really unique experience was the fact that it was served on a thick, pumpernickel bun that was almost sweet. Weird, but not bad.

Went to Buffalo Wild Wings Sunday afternoon, and because wings are an annoying non-food-like replacement for a meal, I went with a burger ... and it was awful — greasy, rubbery, completely void of taste, the bun soaked up so much grease it fell apart even though it started out as stiff as two pieces of styrofoam. If that place didn't have beer, there would be no reason to go there. Ever.
Buddha
All-American

Postby jtstang » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:38 am

Went to Keller's again. No. 5 is still the greatest.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
jtstang

Postby smupony94 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:59 am

jtstang wrote:Went to Keller's again. No. 5 is still the greatest.

You are Top 25 in everything you do
smupony94

Postby Dutch » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:27 pm

http://sidedish.dmagazine.com/2010/10/14/lakewood-1st-10-to-open-plano-1st-10/

no burgers yet, but coming soon. probably next week sometime. you'll just have to keep stopping by.

also, you can follow us on facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Plano-TX/ ... 4153405869
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:16 am

Noticed a new burger place on Mckinny called Burger Girl.

http://theburgergirl.com/

Anyone been?
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:26 am

ponydawg wrote:Noticed a new burger place on Mckinny called Burger Girl.

Anyone been?

It's where La Cubinita used to be.
After a quick review via the web, looks like I will be going, but maybe not for the burger. :lol:

"I was embarassed to take a friend in there thinking it looked like an old-fashioned burger place, not knowing the main course was t*ts on a stick and the food was an afterthought. Parents, do you know where your teenagers are working?"

"It strives in part to be a "breasteraunt", attempting to entice customers with every water refill."
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RednBlue11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:32 am

ponydawg wrote:Noticed a new burger place on Mckinny called Burger Girl.

Anyone been?

had a party there, nice venue...no idea about the food.
"There ain't nothing you can't solve with one more beer"
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponydawg » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:33 am

wasn't invited.....thanks for bringing it up.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2010/ma ... win-peaks/

"DALLAS — In a stroke of restaurant Weird Science comes Burger Girl, a new franchise-in-the-making that combines two money-making concepts in one convenient spot: burgers and Hooter-esque servers."
ponydawg
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUFan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Burger Girl is pretty mediocre, both in burgers and in girls.

However, I strongly recommend the burger at Capitol Pub on Henderson. Lot of flavor happening there, and they have a bunch of different sauces for their fries, etc., that you can put on your burger. Their basil mayo sauce (plus ketchup) is fantastic on a burger.

Onion rings are damn good, too.
SMUFan
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop