PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby whatasteve » Sun May 12, 2002 5:51 pm

A late entry that must be added to the list (Peruna Punch and Whatachick can vouch for me -- I hope -- on this one): Earls, on Walnut Hill. It's a chain from Canada, and it's basically like gourmet bar food. Sensational stuff, although I've never had the burger there. But if it's anything like the rest of their chow, it will be great.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Sun May 12, 2002 7:45 pm

Come on Whatasteve....people from Canada have got to know even less about good burgers than people from Washington, D.C.!!!

Gourmet bar food????....what the hell is that?? Image
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whatasteve » Tue May 14, 2002 2:04 pm

I was as skeptical as you, PK. But believe me, Earl's has some amazing chow. They are a Canadian chain, originally, but you'll never mix up this place with Chili's or something. Ask PerunaPunch. We had lunch there a while back, and even he was impressed.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Tue May 14, 2002 2:35 pm

If sheer quantity means anything to you, get your gang together and head over to Cheesecake Factory on NW Hwy. They have the biggest burger I've ever seen. I have no idea if it's any good, but it sure is huge. Their other items are usually pretty good, so maybe the burger is too. Finishing that burger is an accomplishment, even for the biggest eaters among the group.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby ClassOf81 » Wed May 15, 2002 2:40 pm

I've had the burger at Cheesecake Factory. It's really great.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Wed May 15, 2002 3:42 pm

It's good, but (even though it's a chain - is that illegal for these "wars"?) Fuddrucker's is better.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby whatasteve » Thu May 16, 2002 5:53 pm

The new rankings are in, and as always, this is the official and binding ranking. This list can be viewed as law.

1. Tipperary Inn
2. Campisi's
3. Two Rows
4. Snuffers

The burger gang hit the Tipperary Inn earlier this week. And it should be acknowledged that any meal that starts with a few Irish ales is a good meal. But in case anyone crias bias, the others have all included alcohol, too.

The Tipperary Inn's Irish Bacon burger was as good as advertised. Good beef, by far the best bun of any burger we've sampled thus far, and the toppings were enjoyable without being overwhelming. (See PK's rant about how excess lettuce apparently can cause migraines, or perhaps malaria.) The bacon was a nice touch - very flavorful without being too strong for the burger itself. Fries were a little overcooked, but all in all, this was a very pleasant meal. And as everyone started to leave, a group of musicians sat down at the tables next to us and entertained with some traditional Irish music. They were great, and are worth seeing (not sure if they're there every Wednesday, but they were very good.) Call the Tipp to find out when they play again. And get the Irish bacon burger - you'll be pleased.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu May 16, 2002 7:22 pm

You're nuts. Two Rows is the best of those four.
Chips is better than any of them.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby PK » Fri May 17, 2002 4:26 pm

You're right DD, Whatasteve IS nuts, but I disagree with you too.

My listing (personal preference):

1. Campisi's
2. (Tie) Two Rows and Tipperary

4. (Distant 4 and dropping) Snuffers

Two Row's burger had great taste, but the bun was a loser. Tipperary's burger had a great initial taste, but once the bacon was gone it was just adequate...the bun was very good though (wheat bread style). Tipperary's atmosphere was fun, especially after the group of musicans got together and started jamming with that toe tapping Irish music. Look out for Thursday nights though...I hear people get up and start telling jokes...that can't be even half as good as the music was on Wednesday night.

We still have a lot of places to try and my biggest fear is that after we finish this burger war thing, I'm going to wind up hating burgers...arrrrgh!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby whatasteve » Fri May 17, 2002 5:32 pm

I'm nuts, PK? Something about a teapot and a kettle comes to mind.
And if you end up not liking burgers, you're more nuts than we think.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Fri May 17, 2002 6:33 pm

Speaking of nuts....I always enjoy being in such good company (BTW, who is the teapot and who is the kettle?). Image

Hey! Watch your fingers and hands when you feed Punch's shark next week...Whatachick would probably not enjoy holding hands with a nub.
PK

Postby PX » Sat May 18, 2002 2:24 am

There's nothing official about Steve's list, but its closer to my personal view than PK's.

1. Tipperary Inn
2. Two Rows
3. Campisis
4. Snuffers

The Temporary Inn bacon burger had alot to offer the burger enthusiast. Where else can you get a side order of Irish/Celtic music from a 12 piece band, for free? The burger itself was a solid piece of beef, well cooked, topped by a healthy serving of bacon, thick slice of tomato, plenty of onion, and crisp lettuce, packaged in an excellent whole grain bun. Best of all, it was served up by a very buxom and exceptionally friendly waitress (who apparently knew who I was, and called me by name.)
Since I'm the only unattached man in the group, and the rest of you are limited in what you are allowed to say, I feel that commenting on the waitress must fall to me.
The burger was high quality and the music was lots of fun, but this waitress could have served me an iron horshoe between 2 slices of Wonder Bread while somebody else was dragging their fingernails across a chalk board, and I would have eaten it with a big smile on my face, and asked for seconds. I dont need any other reason to pay a return trip to the Temporary Inn, the fact that they also serve up a pretty good burger is just a bonus.

As far as the rankings go, Tipperary Inn moves into the lead with a very tasty burger. Two Rows is a solid second with its hefty and very juicy Grande Burger. Sorry PK, but the Campisi burger was overcooked, thin, and not particularly juicy. The beef was good, but after that it just doesnt have anything to say for itself, its pretty ordinary. Campisis remains in front of the Snuffer salt lick burger, but I cant see it staying in the top five, or possibly even the top 10 for very long, after we visit a few more places. Its just average. We havent officially visited Joe Willy's or First and Ten yet, and the Campisi burger cant hang with either of those.
PX
Varsity

Postby PK » Sat May 18, 2002 4:46 pm

Being that I am as old as I am and in a rock solid relationship, I can get away with saying that PX is right on about the waitress (I've always had a thing about waitresses anyway). Tell you what...take the Two Rows burger and put the Tipperary bun on it and I would put the resulting burger at the top of my list (remember, I didn't order that freak show one pounder at Two Rows for MY meal).
PK

Postby Dement-ed » Mon May 20, 2002 10:52 am

PX, you sound like a man on the prowl. Good luck with the waitress.

And PK, calling a one-pound burger a "freak show" is impolite. It makes you sound like a lightweight, and perhaps ill-suited to be an expert burger analyst.
HOORAY, BEER!
Dement-ed
All-American

Postby Pony4Life » Mon May 20, 2002 11:37 am

"The burger was high quality and the music was lots of fun, but this waitress could have served me an iron horshoe between 2 slices of Wonder Bread while somebody else was dragging their fingernails across a chalk board, and I would have eaten it with a big smile on my face, and asked for seconds."

Again, that's a little scary!
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop