PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby Dutch » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 am

couch 'em wrote:Dutch,

I was at the gym at lunchtime and overheard a lakewoodite telling someone relocating to lakewood about the great bar he had just discovered, 1st & 10. Said the burger was amazing.

Do I get a free beer for reporting the good publicity?

you get an "E" for effort.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUguy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:23 am

Made my first trip yesterday to BurgerGirl on McKinney.

Fantastically ... average.

The implication in the name and sign outside that the place will feature stunning waitresses is a bit generous — scenery isn't bad, but doesn't merit a follow-up visit on its own.

The "loaded fries" left a lot to be desired — we were told by our waitress how great they are, but they had a fraction of the needed cheese, and the "special sauce" was thousand island. Weird. They don't compare to the cheese fries offered elsewhere, like First & 10.

The burger wasn't bad, it just wasn't good, either, or even interesting — it was the most boring burger I can remember eating in ages. Very little flavor, on a weak (buttered white) bun.

I'll eat there again if a friend is dying to go there, but I can't see myself making another trip with BurgerGirl as a specific destination. Very underwhelming.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby PonyExpress » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 pm

SMUguy wrote:The implication in the name and sign outside that the place will feature stunning waitresses is a bit generous — scenery isn't bad, but doesn't merit a follow-up visit on its own.

This kind of place seems to be a growing trend. A friend in Denver says there are a couple of places that have opened up there featuring decent food but off-the-charts "scenery," to use your term. He insists we're going next time I'm in town. My wife isn't so sure.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby skyscraper » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:14 pm

SMUguy wrote:Made my first trip yesterday to BurgerGirl on McKinney.

Fantastically ... average.

The implication in the name and sign outside that the place will feature stunning waitresses is a bit generous — scenery isn't bad, but doesn't merit a follow-up visit on its own.

Completely agree with you. Went there for the first time Saturday at lunch. Nothing horrible, nothing special. Annoying part - since it's on McKinney you have to valet the car (for "free" except for the whole tipping the valet thing). That's a personal pet peeve though, might not bother others.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dutch » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:50 pm

PonyExpress wrote:
SMUguy wrote:The implication in the name and sign outside that the place will feature stunning waitresses is a bit generous — scenery isn't bad, but doesn't merit a follow-up visit on its own.

This kind of place seems to be a growing trend. A friend in Denver says there are a couple of places that have opened up there featuring decent food but off-the-charts "scenery," to use your term. He insists we're going next time I'm in town. My wife isn't so sure.

the industry term for them is Breastraunts. no joke.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:00 pm

The wife and I ate in the car at Keller's last night. Hadn't been in I'll bet fifteen years, but the No. 5 is still awesome.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
jtstang

Postby S....M....U » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:16 pm

keller's is still my favorite...the special (#5) is the best in town.
"An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame/SMU football game and doesn't care who wins" - Dwight David Eisenhower

Hail to the Red and the Blue.

S...........M............U

Moody Madness
S....M....U
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Junior » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:16 am

I'm hungry now.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby ahhall22 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:16 am

Spice'n it up - Jake's Jalapeno Burger
Gettin Angry - Angry Dog's Burger
Staying Classy - The Grape's Burger
Don't Want to leave the Bubble - Burger House's Double Double
Use to not have to leave the Bubble, but now you do - Ball's Mini Leaguers
ahhall22
Recruit

Postby HorsePower » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:04 am

Ball's and Burger House are weak — very overrated simply because they have been around forever.

The Grape makes a burger? I thought that place was a gourmet restaurant with a bunch of dishes most folks can't pronounce. What's it like?
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Maple and Motor has delicious burgers.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby jtstang » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:02 pm

HorsePower wrote:Ball's and Burger House are weak — very overrated simply because they have been around forever.

The Grape makes a burger? I thought that place was a gourmet restaurant with a bunch of dishes most folks can't pronounce. What's it like?

Never had it but it was voted best in Texas by Texas Monthly
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
jtstang

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:00 pm

HorsePower wrote:Ball's and Burger House are weak — very overrated simply because they have been around forever.

Ball's never was very good - about like Burger House - they're neighborhood-type places and an escape from the blase fast food fare. Mediocre, at best.
I've mentioned this before -BUT - if you haven't had a cheeseburger or bacon cheeseburger at Cisco Grill in Snider Plaza, you need to give it a try. VERY supportive of SMU, a good menu, and outstanding food and service.
Bergermeister

Postby Dutch » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Harry0569 wrote:Maple and Motor has delicious burgers.

meh. :roll:
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Dutch wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:Maple and Motor has delicious burgers.

meh. :roll:

They're no Point burger, but I enjoyed the food. Loved the tots. My favorite burger joint ever, the Vortex in Atlanta (featured on Man vs. Food) has the best burgers I've ever had. My favorite the Elvis burger, a burger topped with peanut butter, friend plantains, and bacon).

Or the triple stack heart attack: 2 1/2 patties, 2 fried eggs, 6 pieces of cheese, 8 pieces of bacon, instead of buns 3 grilled cheese sandwiches served over a bed of tots and fries covered in cheesy goo. Talk about getting your daily calories
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop