PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby PX » Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:09 pm

My revview of the Campisi burger:

It was indeed made of quality beef, which is the foundation of all good burgers, but when we speak of the very best burgers there are other things to consider, the crispness of the toasted bun, the freshness of garden vegetables, and the tanginess of mustard , ketchup, or "special sauce."
I'm sorry to report that the Campisi bun did not pass muster. It began to fall apart after the first bite, leaking ketchup and shredded lettuce both hither and yon. Also, quantity of beef is an important consideration, particularly to a man of my girth, and in this category the Campisi burger was only average.

The search for the perfect burger continues, see you guys next week at Two Rows.
PX
Varsity

Postby D » Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:27 pm

You guys need to go to the White Rock Yacht Club for a burger. Try the Jaws burger. It is a half pounder with everything on it. It is my favorite, especially when coming home from a round of golf.
D
Varsity

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:50 pm

Best large burger in Dallas is the Lineman's Reward at Ball's. As far as 1 lb burgers go it reigns supreme. I have tried the full pounders wherever I can find them, and it is my favorite. I have heard rumors of a place in Waco that serves the 2 pounder! I just can't bring myself to go to Waco...yet. I will consume that burger!
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PX:
<B>My revview of the Campisi burger:

It was indeed made of quality beef, which is the foundation of all good burgers, but when we speak of the very best burgers there are other things to consider, the crispness of the toasted bun, the freshness of garden vegetables, and the tanginess of mustard , ketchup, or "special sauce."
I'm sorry to report that the Campisi bun did not pass muster. It began to fall apart after the first bite, leaking ketchup and shredded lettuce both hither and yon. Also, quantity of beef is an important consideration, particularly to a man of my girth, and in this category the Campisi burger was only average.

The search for the perfect burger continues, see you guys next week at Two Rows.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what you get for ruining a perfectly good hamburger by pouring ketchup on it. Image
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whatasteve » Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:33 pm

And the correct verdict on the Campisi's burger is: average.

Sorry to dis your boys over there, PK -- their pizza is without peer and the majority of their menu is great. And don't get me wrong - the buger isn't bad. It's just nothing exceptional. The beef tastes OK, but like PX said, it's too small. It also is a little dry - sort of crumbled in the bun. Let's face it, when you're ordering a good burger, you're not worried about health food, so let's get some meat with a little fat in it (OK, there's plenty already there), so it can act like glue and hold the thing together.

On the plus side, the fries were better than expected (still not blow-you-away great, but better than expected) and the appetizer -- that artery-sealing sausage mess -- was really tasty. Took 10 years off the end of all our lives, but those are the least fun years, anyway.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by whatasteve:
<B>And the correct verdict on the Campisi's burger is: average.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Mrs. PerunaPunch would disagree with you on that assessment, but then different tastes is what makes the world go around. Anyway we still have a few places to try yet. I'm glad to see you saved your ketchup for your fries unlike our friend PX.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby braginator » Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:04 am

In and Out Burger!!! If you have had it then you know what I mean.
braginator
Junior Varsity

Postby BoazHoes » Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:22 am

You have got to be kidding me. You are going to compare a fast food burger and with the likes of Two-Rows, Campisi's, and 1st and 10. Thats great your in California and stuffing your gut with In and Out burgers but those burgers don't belong in the same category as the formentioned. Agreed they are good but I am not going to sit here and name every good burger I have had....this thread is devoted to the Best burgers in Dallas....go start a thread about french fries and then you will have some weight when it comes to In and Out Burgers.

[This message has been edited by BoazHoes (edited 04-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 04-19-2002).]
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:39 pm

Using the patented PX rating system, I give the Campisi’s burger 3.5 Bellies Up. Personally, I didn't experience any crumbling and leaking issues, so no points off for that. Also, I concur with the group in that the beef seemed to be quality stuff and well cooked. Overall however, the burger could have used a bit more seasoning and definitely needed to be larger. On the fry front, they were decent — certainly not of Burger House or Milo’s stature — but decent. Although the accompanying fries were not ‘officially’ part of the scoring, a good side of fries is always an integral part of the burger experience. Overall, a fairly top flight burger, but certainly not one of the elite.

As mentioned by PK, my wife tried the burger and was raving about it. She even rated it above her previous favorite, Jack’s Burger House. Unfortunately for the Campisi clan, Mrs. Punch barely weighs 90 lbs. and likes her burgers and steaks well done, so her opinion must be taken with a measure of skepticism. What can be learned from this? The diminutive Mrs. Punch and svelte PK adore the Campisi’s burger, whereas the genuine 200 lb.-ers (including former Mustang lineman PX) were left wanting.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby PX » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PerunaPunch:
<B>Using the patented PX rating system, I give the Campisi’s burger 3.5 Bellies Up. Personally, I didn't experience any crumbling and leaking issues, so no points off for that. Also, I concur with the group in that the beef seemed to be quality stuff and well cooked. Overall however, the burger could have used a bit more seasoning and definitely needed to be larger. On the fry front, they were decent — certainly not of Burger House or Milo’s stature — but decent. Although the accompanying fries were not ‘officially’ part of the scoring, a good side of fries is always an integral part of the burger experience. Overall, a fairly top flight burger, but certainly not one of the elite.

As mentioned by PK, my wife tried the burger and was raving about it. She even rated it above her previous favorite, Jack’s Burger House. Unfortunately for the Campisi clan, Mrs. Punch barely weighs 90 lbs. and likes her burgers and steaks well done, so her opinion must be taken with a measure of skepticism. What can be learned from this? The diminutive Mrs. Punch and svelte PK adore the Campisi’s burger, whereas the genuine 200 lb.-ers (including former Mustang lineman PX) were left wanting.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually a genuine 350 pounder. I'm looking forward to the new double cheeseburger I've heard about at Two Rows.
PX
Varsity

Postby PK » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:28 pm

Svelte??? You flatter me PerunaPunch....have you had your eyes checked lately. However, maybe there is something to be said for sitting next to PX? I'm pushing 200 and look like I'm trying to sneak a watermelon out of the place under my shirt. Wait....I think I hear the gym calling my name.

Looking forward to the next burger extravaganza!
PK

Postby BoazHoes » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:30 pm

I am starting to figure out who is who...Rambo must be Clint Snowden and PX is Glen Ivey.
BoazHoes
Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:29 pm

Wrong Twice, Mister Hoes.

Postby Rambo » Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:07 pm

BoazHoe, You are irritating.

Back to burgers. I jsut downed the Grande Burger at TwoRow's. As far as 1 LB burgers go, it was middle of the road. Not very juicy. Ball's still reigns supreme. I do not recommend Fuddrucker's 1 LB burger. There is just too much friggin bread.
Viva Ponyball!!!!!
Rambo
Junior Varsity

Postby whatasteve » Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:03 pm

PK, do we REALLY need to bring up the obvious reason for questioning Mrs. PerunaPunch's judgement?

Then again, she and I tend to agree on chow preferences a lot more than her husband agrees with either of us. Then again (again?), he's named after a liqueur.
whatasteve
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop