PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby Junior » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:30 pm

At naan. Trying the burger.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Junior » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Ok. Been seated for 30 minutes and still don't have my drink, much less anything else. Better be a pretty effing good burger.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Junior » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 pm

And the waitress just asked me what I wanted to drink for the third time. Said she is busy and keeps forgetting what I ordered.

Who says that?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Junior » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:53 pm

No wonder no one ever eats here. Service sucks. Third table within earshot just complained to others servers that they haven't received any of their order...
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby DallasDiehard » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:56 pm

That's weird. I have been there twice for a lunch burger, and had zero complaints about the service both times, and the burger was very good, too.

You've convinced me. I'll have to go back for another (for research purposes, of course).
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby Junior » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 am

DallasDiehard wrote:That's weird. I have been there twice for a lunch burger, and had zero complaints about the service both times, and the burger was very good, too.

You've convinced me. I'll have to go back for another (for research purposes, of course).

We went at dinner. They were about 2 servers short. Took 2.5 hours on a Wednesday.

Burger was good, but will only go to the one in Plano for lunch next time.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:56 pm

I know "fast food" places are beneath most SMU folks, but I had a Hardees BBQ thickburger today and have to say it was excellent. Topped with pulled pork and onion rings smothered in BBQ sauce. Very tasty although a bit on the messy side. Not sure if they even have Hardees in Dallas or whether this is a regional promotion but they lured me in with a buddy on a buy one/get one free mailer. His reaction was the same, so we suggested they make it a permanent part of their menu. They do really good beer battered onion rings, too for a fast food joint.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I know "fast food" places are beneath most SMU folks, but I had a Hardees BBQ thickburger today and have to say it was excellent. Topped with pulled pork and onion rings smothered in BBQ sauce. Very tasty although a bit on the messy side. Not sure if they even have Hardees in Dallas or whether this is a regional promotion but they lured me in with a buddy on a buy one/get one free mailer. His reaction was the same, so we suggested they make it a permanent part of their menu. They do really good beer battered onion rings, too for a fast food joint.

the commercial they are running to promote this burger will get your attention as well:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/HungryMemph ... hickburger
Charleston Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:15 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I know "fast food" places are beneath most SMU folks, but I had a Hardees BBQ thickburger today and have to say it was excellent. Topped with pulled pork and onion rings smothered in BBQ sauce. Very tasty although a bit on the messy side. Not sure if they even have Hardees in Dallas or whether this is a regional promotion but they lured me in with a buddy on a buy one/get one free mailer. His reaction was the same, so we suggested they make it a permanent part of their menu. They do really good beer battered onion rings, too for a fast food joint.

the commercial they are running to promote this burger will get your attention as well:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/HungryMemph ... hickburger

Good commercial. Hardee's used to have a presence in the area - used to stop at one and get a coke when I walked home from junior high. Always had good burgers. Carl's Jr. is the Hardee's of Dallas now.
Bergermeister

Postby Higher Authority » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:42 pm

I tried 2 new (to me) burgers in the last week.

The Nodding Donkey (Yale and Greenville) was decent, but not great -- a little bland. But the burger at Lee Harvey's in south Dallas really surprised me, and in a good way. It had loads of flavor, was cooked perfectly, not overly expensive and came with a lot of good beer choices. The sides were better at the Nodding Donkey, but the burger itself was far better at Lee Harvey's.
"Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in .... next to soccer."
— "Loki" in the movie Dogma
Higher Authority
All-American

Postby PonyGirl » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:49 am

I don't eat a lot of burgers, but I had one last night at Gordon Biersch, and I expect I'll be having another the next time I go. It was exceptional -- very flavorful, with a lot of flavor. Loved it.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:51 am

Goodfriend is the best burger in dallas. In my opinion.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPower » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:55 am

There's a new place called Park Tavern in the same shopping center as Gordon Biersch (upper level, in the same parking lot as Whole Foods) at 75 and Park. I tried the burger last night, and was pretty impressed. The beef is tasty and juicy, and had a hint of smoke/charcoal to it. The bun was disappointing (got soggy) and the fries were too salty, but the burger and the cheese and other toppings were really good.
PonyPower
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:21 am

Liberty Burger is pretty damned good. I'll go with Elevation Burger for fast (and suprisingly healthy, given they use grassfed beef only)
ponyboy

Postby PonyPride » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:13 pm

I was introduced last week to a new place on the lower end of Skillman called Mecca (in the same space that once belonged to the great Tipperary Inn). It had sort of a southern diner feel to it, with some people eating breakfast food at dinner time.

The burger was really impressive — the bun was think and a little spongier than I like, but generally good. The meat, itself, was great. It was a thick patty with a smoky flavor, like it was grilled over wood. The cheese was a little flimsy, but overall, well worth trying.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop