PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Laura Miller at it again

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Laura Miller at it again

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:05 pm

she's bordering on irresponsible. Read the front page of todays DMN and you get the distinct feeling that she is letting a personal vendetta get in the way of redevelopment deal at Reunion that even the asst city manager says makes total sense. She wants a company to give the city a handout instead of just negotiating in good faith with a business which goes on everyday. Damn is she stubborn and ignorant.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:45 pm

And she is having so much fun doing it she is planning on running again for Mayor.
PK

Postby lugus830 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:32 pm

Hey, give her some credit, she was able to pull in a decent Police Chief and she has been alot more active than Ron Kirk if you ask me.

Although, she did let the Cowboys go to Arlington..........
lugus830
Scout Team

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:23 am

Ms. Miller would probably be more influential/effective as a PTA president. As with the Barefoot Sanders/DISD debacle, leadership and progress in Dallas was squelched with 14-1. It's been a swift trip downhill since then.
Bergermeister

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:05 am

lugus830 wrote:Hey, give her some credit, she was able to pull in a decent Police Chief and she has been alot more active than Ron Kirk if you ask me.

Let's not give her credit and not forget that we didn't. OR somesuch.

Did she hire the police chief? No. And the search wasn't that hard. The guy begged for the job. He took a paycut to take the job.

More active? Doing what exactly? Screaching? Still plenty of potholes around town, which is all she professed to care about. But they aren't in her neighborhood so she no longer cares. Code violations went up, but that turned out to be a scam. Miller ripped Kirk's trinity river project, but is now a big supporter of it. Kirk helped bring Blockbuster to downtown Dallas. Kirk got the AAC built.

Laura Miller is a waste of time.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Hoop Fan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:08 am

Jim Lytes was just on Norms show. He is an unbiased observor of this situation because Reunion already has a non compete with the AAC, but had similar experince in Detroit with an outdated arena. He says Laura Miller is out in left field thinking they can sell Reunion for any value. She has no clue.
Hoop Fan

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:31 pm

Hey, give her some credit, she was able to pull in a decent Police Chief and she has been alot more active than Ron Kirk if you ask me.

She had nothing to do with the hiring of Chief Kunkle. That hire was led by former Dallas City Manager Ted Benavides. As for Kunkle, the jury is still out on him.

At least Ron Kirk worked hard to keep the Stars and Mavs in Dallas. Laura Miller did nothing to bring the 'boys back to Dallas. When she comes up for re-election in 07, the Cowboys stadium in Arlington should be near completion. Everyone in Dallas can see what Mrs. Miller let slip away. That was the one project that could have saved downtown Dallas. And you can say what you want about sports mega-projects (see the Victory struggles), but one thing is certain, Jerry Jones would have created an unmatched, first-class complex in either Fair Park or SW downtown. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for the City of Dallas, and Laura Miller treated it as if this was just a meaningless Wal-Mart trying to move in.....I really think she just doesn't get it.
LA_Mustang

Postby PonySoprano » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:05 pm

I can't stand Laura Miller and I can't believe that she thinks the City should actually get cash for Reunion, but I believe some of the blame for letting the Cowboys get away to Arlington also falls on the Dallas County Commissioners. I recall that they were they ones that did a lot of feet dragging with negotiating with the Cowboys. If I remember correctly, the Cowboys called off negotiations with the County Commisioners because they felt like the talks were going nowhere.
PonySoprano
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:25 pm

Yes, it was the County Commissioners fault to an extent because it was by and large county tax money paying the bill. But in their defense, they had Laura Miller interjecting herself into the process and trying to run it and at the same time, she was refusing to play ball with the only chip she had, the Cottonbowl. She had no real interest in the project and refused to work through the obvious issues, even when those issues were obviously workable.

Laura's biggest problem is she is under a misguided notion that she is the only game in town (no pun intended). That may be the case in larger cities with fewer suburbs, but not in Dallas, where Plano, Frisco, Irving, Arlington and others are willing to stab you in the back any chance they get.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby friarwolf » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:38 am

Ms. Miller certainly didn't have a problem throwing our money around to try to keep the Mercantile development deal alive. I guess we'll see if she was truly successful. Not that I was against what she did as we need to revitalize downtown. So I guess the deal is that if you are an out of town firm, she'll jump through hoops to help but if you are local, you must be a smarmy crook looking to take advantage of Dallas.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby WorldStang » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:46 pm

lugus830 wrote:Hey, give her some credit, she was able to pull in a decent Police Chief and she has been alot more active than Ron Kirk if you ask me.

If you're serious.. you obviously have no idea what she's NOT done and the way she's perceived throughout Dallas business leaders.
What we obtain too cheap.. we esteem too lightly. It is persistence alone that gives everything its value.
WorldStang
All-American

Return to Around the Hilltop