PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Russ Potts

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Russ Potts

Postby bubba pony » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:35 am

still thinks of SMU, note the very last line.

http://readthehook.com/stories/2005/10/ ... derdo.html
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Dooby » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:30 am

A guy I know in the RNC says Potts is absolutely going to cost the Republican part the Governor's mansion in Virginia.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jtstang » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:16 pm

Dooby wrote:A guy I know in the RNC says Potts is absolutely going to cost the Republican part the Governor's mansion in Virginia.

"My dad was the chairman of the Republican party in Winchester," he explains. "I grew up a Dwight David Eisenhower Republican-- not this far-right, radical, extreme element of it." He cites Tom DeLay and Rick Santorum on the national scene.

And in the Old Dominion, "This ticket-- Kilgore, Bolling, and McDonnell-- represents the most far-right ticket in Virginia history," he says.

Kinda makes me hope your friend is right...er...correct.
jtstang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:27 pm

The race is a dead heat at this point between Kilgore and Kaine. Both went negative last week which should help Potts. My sense is that Potts run seems to be drawing relatively evenly. Virginia has not elected a Governor out of the same party as the President since the 1970's. So, Kilgore has his work cut out for him, already. Republicans going to Potts are more liberal and would probably have sat out this election anyway. Potts is also the only pro-choice candidate in the race, so will probably drain off a few single issue democrats on that issue. I see him as really hurting both campaigns about equally. There has been some discussion about Kaine being morally opposed to the death penalty (which is consistent with his pro-life position). Kilgore is the law and order candidate.
EastStang

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:11 pm

My dad lives in Va. and worked with Potts about 10 years ago in a legal capacity. Wasn't too impressed with him as a person. In fact, I'd say he hated his guts. But lately he's been making comments to me that Potts is the "only guy in the race telling the truth." Talk about a sales job. He might vote for the guy. If you knew the stories he used to tell me over-and-over about Russ Potts, you'd understand what a remarkable testament to his campaigning ability that is.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:46 pm

I went to the one debate where all three of them appeared. Potts looked like a kook compared to the other two, but proceeded to tell everyone the "truth". When you're the independent candidate and you don't have to toe any party line and you don't have to try and really win, you can pretty much say anything. Jesse Ventura got elected in part because someone started a rumor that he would legalize weed.
EastStang

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:22 pm

Russ Potts needs to head up the search committee for the new AD. He knows what SMU needs. He could at least give us some leads.
Bergermeister

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:30 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Russ Potts needs to head up the search committee for the new AD. He knows what SMU needs. He could at least give us some leads.

He needs to come back for 5 years, retire at 70. He should have a blast directing MUSTANG MANIA II :!:
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:59 pm

I think Russ has figured out he's not going to be the next Governor of Virginia.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/02/AR2005110202969.html
EastStang

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:09 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Russ Potts needs to head up the search committee for the new AD. He knows what SMU needs. He could at least give us some leads.
I'll second that!
MrMustang1965

Postby EastStang » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:37 pm

I saw his opponent, Jerry Kilgore trolling for votes at the Redskin game last night going from tailgate to tailgate with Senator George Allen. Didn't see Russ at the Redskins game. BTW, Allen was wearing a burgandy flannel shirt and looked very at ease in the crowd. You heard it here first, George Allen will be on the national ticket in 2008.
EastStang

Return to Around the Hilltop