PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustang Band ain't what it used to be

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby MustangSally » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:20 am

PS, Dreibrodt himself is the one that added the piccolo to the instrumentation, added "for color", to add another octave above the lead trumpet part, and it really sticks out with some traditional woodwind trills on Pony Battle Cry. There were a few years without a picc player, but on most recordings, one can be heard.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Diamond Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:56 am

Contrary to what was said about 96 guys and no blacks. . . there was a fantastic trumpet player in the late '60s/early '70s who was african-american (I wish I could remember his name, but he's in Houston). In the mid-'70s there was Rosco Timberlake; my freshman year there was Darrel Williams; a drum major in the '90s was a-a. I know that doesn't sound like many, but I'm sure there were more. And there are many minorities represented today. Also, if one wants to blame anything on the small number of bandspeople, blame the death penalty. In the late '50s/early '60s, there was a piccolo player. And one of the current piccolo players is the granddaugter of Jack Rohr, who was the arranger for the band 'til '81 or '82. And just a bit of trivia: there actually was an accordian player at one time, altho' I imagine he saved this talent for Pigskin and not halftime shows.

After the DP, girls were encouraged to join the band to increase numbers; before that, it was to discrimination lawsuits (the first girl, sorry, woman, joined in '77; I was the third and joined in '79). Nowadays, the bandwomen take it for granted that they can participate. It wasn't always so easy. I for one didn't think anything negative about the hazing; it was part of the band experience and it was more mental than physical. And, the guys were typically the ones to leave.

The current director's goal is to get the numbers up to where they were at halftime at homecoming when both the Mustang Band and the alumns were on the field. And that was more than 96. Also, with the higher-ups saying they'll increase band scholarships, that the band and cheerleaders will be going to all the away games, and the band can get JUCOs who are planning to transfer to SMU, the numbers will definitely be increasing.

So, stop complaining. And you can do your part to help increase numbers by contributing to the Diamond M Club to help raise scholarships.

This has been a public service announcement. All comments have been those of the author and not anyone else associated with the Mustang Band or the Diamond M Club. Thank you.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:03 am

side note: Jack Rohr's sons, John & Rick, were in the Highland Park Band with me from 1971-1975. John played trumpet; Rick was a percussionist. Rick is now an officer in the Marines and has served several tours of duty in the Mid East. Not sure where John is these days. I assume it's his daughter who is in the Mustang Band...?
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Diamond Girl » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:07 am

MM65, thanks for the info. Last game, I noticed a gentleman in his '50s (maybe) who was conversing quite often with one of the piccolo players. And for the 4th quarter, she placed an old beanie on top of her own beanie, so I assume he was her father and Jack Rohr's son. Pretty cool, I think.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:02 am

Jack Rohr's granddaughter is in the band. I always thought piccolos were a way to get more members, and to make them switch to other instruments once they were in the band.

And I'm sure women contributed significantly to the softening of the band from what you old folks describe to the near highschool band it socially is now, but not directly to the decrease in numbers.

The joke of a football team, the demotion of SMU from a major university to a rich-boy party school, and the fact that being in band pretty much is the same as being a loser socially in most high schools is part of the reason the band is small.... but I think most importantly:

NO SCHOLARSHIP MONEY. Well, almost none. A relatively large scholarship in the band still affects the student's ability to go to SMU very, very little.
couch 'em

Postby MustangSally » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:51 am

About my comment on the "all-white" band, I was not serious, I was just being sarcastic in pointing out to Mr Pony that women/minorities/other personnel factors are not why the band is small.

And this brings me to pose a question:

Is there any band in the nation (besides one that didn't exist until recently or something) that can honestly say things are at their best right now, and that they don't live in at least some sort of shadow of their former selves? I ask this sincerely because I can't think of one, not to downplay the importance of our band's heritage.

I've talked to people from TCU, aTm, USC, Miami, Michigan, Rice, UF, etc and I have heard the same sentiments across the board. "Things aren't traditional enough, the social atmosphere is dead, everything is too PC..."

I believe the answer to this may help explain not only why our band seems to have turned "too high school" but college bands and organizations in general.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby White Helmet » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:22 am

1984:
Band Membership: 82
SMU Tuition and Fees: $6,500.
Avg. Band Scholorship: $1,050
Percent of Cost: 17%

2004:
Band Membership: 70
SMU Tuition and Fees:$25,350
Avg. Band Scholarship: $1,900
Percent of Cost: 7%

$1050 corrected for inflation comes out to about $1892.42 so scholarships have risen with inflation.
$6500 corrected for inflation is around $11715, though tuition is now 250% of the adjusted inflation cost. So school cost is 2.5 times higher now in relation to scholarships. You wanna complain why dont you put some damn money where you mouth is and give to the band.
http://www.smubandpartnership.org
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Mustang Band ain't what it used to be

This statement really states the status of SMU athletics and spirit. The band ain't what it used to be, neither is Football, Men's Basketball, Baseball and Men's Track.

You can thank Dr. Pye and Title IX.

But you can help fix the band.

Goto: www.diamondmclub.org or www.smubandpartnership.com or you can send me a PM and I will forward information to you.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:41 pm

There was a reality-based show on CSTV last night called "Dog Days." It followed the two-a-day-like summer camp that the Jackson St. "Sonic Boom" band conducts. Some (most) of you took exception to the fact that I said SMU's band program could learn a lot from the HBCs. One can't help but notice the impressive numbers, though: that band had 155 freshmen attempt to march with the band; 108 lasted through the 'camp,' and 55 wound up marching. A band that makes cuts? Couldn't help but think, "wow."
RGV Pony

Postby DiamondM75 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:55 pm

RGV Pony wrote:There was a reality-based show on CSTV last night called "Dog Days." It followed the two-a-day-like summer camp that the Jackson St. "Sonic Boom" band conducts. Some (most) of you took exception to the fact that I said SMU's band program could learn a lot from the HBCs. One can't help but notice the impressive numbers, though: that band had 155 freshmen attempt to march with the band; 108 lasted through the 'camp,' and 55 wound up marching. A band that makes cuts? Couldn't help but think, "wow."

The SMU Mustang Band use to make "cuts". Yep, they sure did. There were freshmen in my class that did not make it though the summer all day marching and rehearsing drills, and there were freshmen that just were not good enough to march on the field. They were alternates and maybe made the field band in their soph or junior years. Yes it happened at SMU, and maybe someday, will happen again.

My freshman class started with over 40 freshmen and ended with about 30 making the band.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby mr. pony » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:23 pm

I've been away briefly. How is everyone? :D
Hey, Mustang Sally. Don't be trying to hang any racist label me because of my comments about wanting the band to go back to being all male.
You are WAY outa line, lady.
The two have nothing to do one another.
In answer to your question, I was in the band in the 70s.

Wanna make something of it?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:26 pm

MustangSally:

You gotta change your name.
mrydel

Postby couch 'em » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:48 pm

I always thought he should go for "Mr.MustangSally1965" just to be confusing.
couch 'em

Postby PK » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:52 pm

mr. pony wrote:Hey, Mustang Sally. You are WAY outa line, lady.
Periodically we have to make introductions to folks that have not been following these boards very long. FYI, Mustang Sally is a guy...he just likes that song. Therefore, you don't have to hold back on your comments in fear of being non-PC...just lay into him and tell him what you really think. 8) Oh, BTW, BarbraAnn is also a guy. He just happens to like THAT song. Band guys...what can I say?
PK

Postby mr. pony » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:17 pm

Oh, Mustang Sally is a guy.

If I'd known that, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to be so delicate.

Wanna make somethin' of it? ...........Turd! :)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop