PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustang Band ain't what it used to be

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Diamond Girl » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 pm

mr. pony, these two bandsmen chose their names after two songs the band plays that they like: Barbara Anne and Mustang Sally. It has nothing to do with gender identity.
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby DiamondM75 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:47 pm

Should I change my name to Midnight Cowboy?
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby mr. pony » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:58 pm

Oh, well, then that explains it. Makes sense.

(I really didn't give a sh$t.) :shock:
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Diamond Girl » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:00 pm

Nah. It doesn't have a woman's name in the title. How 'bout MustangRhonda?
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby Spaz » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:03 am

mr. pony wrote:Oh, well, then that explains it. Makes sense.

(I really didn't give a sh$t.) :shock:

Sir, I'm sorry to say this, but if you really didn't give a crap, you wouldn't drudge up the same topic time and time again.

Guess what? Things will never be as good as the best time you had, PERIOD.
Now shut up and get back to work.

PS, YOU sound like an idiot, so I guess you should change your name to reflect that fact
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:33 pm

This guy is trolling.......
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Peruna88 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:02 am

A small version of the Mustang Band played at the Dallas Stars game tonight and they sounded great!

Special tip of the hat to that "older" gentleman on the sax! Looks like he might have been out of school a few years! :wink:

8)
Peruna88
All-American

Postby mr. pony » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Hey, spaz, how do you know I'm a 'sir'.

I'm not the one keeping this going, by the way. See pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

So you think the Mustang Band is cool way it is?

You're the idiot, (and your name fits nicely.)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:18 pm

mr. pony wrote:So you think the Mustang Band is cool way it is?

I know you are just trolling to get a response, but really, do you think if you took the band from any point in history and brought it to today it would be significantly more 'cool'? hint: the answer is no. The world has changed since 1975.
couch 'em

Postby MustangSally » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:36 pm

Could the band be better? Sure, there are always things to improve, like a bigger band, crisper marching, more unison sound, etc. Cooler? If you could fix all the previously mentioned things (marching, music, numbers), you'd still think it was "cooler" back in the day. I suppose you could be more "cool", but not in the same way it was in 1975. Face it, there have been HUGE cultural changes since then, with direct impacts in the band and college organizations in general. There are now much more restrictive laws and regulations on:
1) GENDER EQUALITY, Title IX. aww, but it was "cool" without girls...too bad, many bands across the nation were all male before the 70s, but they've moved on
2) UNDERAGED DRINKING, drinking age bumped back up to 21 from 18. but man those bus trips were "cool"...again, times have changed, take it up with the state and federal government
3) HAZING - it was "cool" to earn your spot in the band...yeah, and if the band were caught doing ANYthing remotely bad, they'd be used as an example by the University. The schools would LOVE to eliminate all hazing in the Greek community, and what better way to do this than to come down really [deleted] a SCHOOL-FUNDED ORGANIZATION. It'd be like the Death Penalty was for the football team, make an example of someone that isn't powerful/important enough to fight it, hope everyone else stops. Kinda like shutting down the 4-member black fraternity for hazing, hoping that the 120-member IFC Fraternities will see the writing on the wall.

This is the hand we have been dealt. We can sit around and [deleted] about girls screwing it up, everyone acting too dorky/sober, whatever, but the reality is that these things aren't going to change anytime soon. I'm concerned about the things we CAN change: recruitment, bigger budget for more travel, replacing/purchasing uniform parts, hiring more staff, etc. Argue all you want, but that's the reality, and you can either be part of the solution (donate, be an advocate of the band, celebrate your fun times in the band) or part of the problem (complain, make fun of current members, etc.)

Be happy about your experience with the band, and do what you can to help elevate the status of the current band.
From high on the hilltop, in Big D...
MustangSally
Varsity

Postby Spaz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:13 pm

mr. pony wrote:Hey, spaz, how do you know I'm a 'sir'.

I'm not the one keeping this going, by the way. See pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

So you think the Mustang Band is cool way it is?

You're the idiot, (and your name fits nicely.)

First of all, your gender is made obvious by your argument. You say things were better back when you were in the band and girls were not allowed. I simply put two and two together, and came up with four.

Do I think the Mustang Band is cool the way it is? No. Why? Because I'm not in it. I don't say this to be an egomaniacal idiot, but because things will always seem better when they are done exactly the way you want them, and when I was part of that organization, I worked hard to make things as close to how I wanted them as possible.
Were things perfect? No
Did I make the best of my time in the band? Yes, and I enjoyed every second of it, with my fellow bandsmen (Gender neutral)

Personally, I'm curious to know if you're wife or daughter or mother knows you feel this way. I feel sorry for any woman in your life, because it seems to me that you feel insecure by their presence. If you can't do things to the best of your ability around females, then might I suggest the company of males. In the new millenium, this alternative lifestyle is gaining respect by many enlightened individuals, and I have no doubt that you will fit right in. In many instances, it is easy to find a mate online, which seems to be where you spend a majority of your time.

So, please, embrace your love of men, and don't be afraid. Push your chair away from your computer, stand tall, and scream from the bottom of your lungs "I DON'T NEED WOMEN IN MY LIFE!! ALL I NEED IS MEN!!"

I promise to respect your lifestyle choice if you promise to respect the fact that some of us enjoy the female presence in the band...

And please, keep us all updated on your progress.

Thank you, SIR
Spaz
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:19 pm

Your slipping Spaz - you didn't always need 7 pages before such an observation comes out! :D
couch 'em

Postby Spaz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:24 pm

Yeah my gaydar usually goes off earlier...

TOODLES!!!
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby MustangStealth » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 pm

mr. pony, did you ever by chance do a cover of "It's Raining Men" when you were in the band? Maybe that's why you thought it was much better.

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men! Amen!
I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!
It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean

BarbaraAnn, be sure to recommend this addition to the basketball folder.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:30 pm

MustangStealth wrote:mr. pony, did you ever by chance do a cover of "It's Raining Men" when you were in the band? Maybe that's why you thought it was much better.

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah! - It's Raining Men! Amen!
I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
Absolutely soaking wet!
It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
Tall, blonde, dark and lean
Rough and tough and strong and mean

BarbaraAnn, be sure to recommend this addition to the basketball folder.

It scares me that you actually either 1)knew the lyrics by heart or 2)spent the time to look them up. Besides, if it's Homer Simpson's favorite song, surely it could be Mr. Pony's.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop