PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mustang Band ain't what it used to be

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Diamond Girl » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:15 pm

It is scary that anyone knows the lyrics to that dreadful song. And, no, BA, don't ask to add that chart to the b-ball book. Peruna, etc. shouldn't have even suggested such a thing. :evil:
Everything we want is on the other side of difficult.
Diamond Girl
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:40 am

I love the Band, its traditions and everything it represents. With that said, I just wish:

* Money would fall out of the sky (or a rich alum's pocket) to fund scholarships so the Band could double in size/membership.
* The band would play more modern, upbeat music. The Broadway tributes and Beach Boys revivals are great -- the band sounds terrific playing them -- but something that would help get the fans amped up a little would be awesome. Next time the Band plays in the Meyerson or something, bang out all the Broadway tunes you want. But when teams come into Ford Stadium, their fans tend to really react and interact with their bands when a certain song is played. We need a reaction like that, and I just assume music selection is a factor in that.
* Sousaphones -- is there a reason our band doesn't use them? I'm sure the "marching tubas" (or whatever those things are called) are less expensive, but surely alums could be found to sponsor an instrument here or there, right? I'm not saying I want to hear nothing but Sousaphones, but they go a long way toward creating the look of a college band, and you can make the band LOOK more active with any movement/choreography (on the field, in the stands .... whatever), because those things are so damn big, all movements are exaggerated.

Anyway, just my two cents.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:42 pm

You WANT sousaphones? :roll:

1. They sound bad....real bad
2. I don't think they are as loud
3. This year they have like 5 tubas.... for the last five years before that I don't think there were more than 3. Sousaphones would make it blatantly obvious that the band doesn't have anyone in it.
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM75 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:45 pm

Don't hold your breath for Sousaphones. These are very large and heavy instruments that do not have the same sound as tubas. (Yes, they are called tubas) The high stepping fast paced style of marching that is performed by the Mustang Band can not be performed with the awkward heavy sousaphones. They might look great in the stands, but are very impractical for high step marching on the field.

The music style of the Mustang Band is Big Band, Jazz and Rock. (No show tunes) I agree that it would be nice to find some tunes that create a reaction from the fans (other that Peruna). This is accomplished by trial and error. Whenever a tune gets praise from the audience, that tune becomes a regular in the music book. Our fans seem to like tunes that have solo performances where the soloist can take a jazz type "ride" or "improv", so the band has these type of tunes in the book.

If you have some suggestions of music, our assistant director and arranger (Mr. Tommy Tucker) can try to arrange something. Believe me, the Mustang Band is there to entertain the fans and support the teams, and are open to fan suggestions.

Please keep in touch.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPride » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:54 pm

DiamondM75 wrote: .... The music style of the Mustang Band is Big Band, Jazz and Rock. (No show tunes)....
Didn't they play "Maria" (from West Side Story) at halftime of the UTEP game?
PonyPride

Postby DiamondM75 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:58 pm

PonyPride wrote:
DiamondM75 wrote: .... The music style of the Mustang Band is Big Band, Jazz and Rock. (No show tunes)....
Didn't they play "Maria" (from West Side Story) at halftime of the UTEP game?

Yes, but it was a jazz version of Maria, not the broadway style show tune. When I said they don't play show tunes, I meant in the broadway style.
Just send 'da money.
DiamondM75
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:55 pm

forgive my laziness, but does Mr. Tucker have an email address?
RGV Pony

Postby abezontar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:38 pm

The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:03 pm

the twirler is hot, and very, very, very good..strong performances!! We need more twirlers...
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:20 pm

Who needs music anyway? Forget 96 guys and a doll - I say 96 dolls and a HixsontoLeVias!
couch 'em

Postby Spaz » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:07 pm

HixsontoLeVias wrote:the twirler is hot, and very, very, very good..strong performances!! We need more twirlers...

Anybody else read this and picture a drunken frat boy typing this?

PS, Hixson, yes....yes she is
She also tends to date very big muslcly men
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:44 pm

Spaz wrote:
PS, Hixson, yes....yes she is
She also tends to date very big muslcly men

Somebody tell Bus!
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend