PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Marshall vs. HP Division II 4A State Championship

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Marshall vs. HP Division II 4A State Championship

Postby OC Mustang » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:11 pm

I hope that this is the right general forum to start this thread...otherwise, if the webmaster could move to Football, I would be most appreciative.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the game (My brother-in-law is returning from Iraq, and well, family takes precendence over football...is about the only thing that takes precedence over football, but ah well....).

Okay, time for smack...
If Marshall a) stops turning the ball over (9 times between at least two playoff games) & b) can successfully bring their "A+" pass defense, HP is going to have a very difficult time.

I say Marshall takes it 34-22.

And yes, I pulled this out of my gluteus. I have no idea what the score should be, but I think strongly that Marshall will take this one.
OC Mustang
Heisman

Re: Marshall vs. HP Division II 4A State Championship

Postby MrMustang1965 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:44 pm

OC Mustang wrote:I hope that this is the right general forum to start this thread...otherwise, if the webmaster could move to Football, I would be most appreciative.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the game (My brother-in-law is returning from Iraq, and well, family takes precendence over football...is about the only thing that takes precedence over football, but ah well....).

Okay, time for smack...
If Marshall a) stops turning the ball over (9 times between at least two playoff games) & b) can successfully bring their "A+" pass defense, HP is going to have a very difficult time.

I say Marshall takes it 34-22.

And yes, I pulled this out of my gluteus. I have no idea what the score should be, but I think strongly that Marshall will take this one.
Well, to start, let's get the classification correct. It's the Class 4A Division I state championship game. ;)

HP's QB Matthew Stafford threw 2 INTs yesterday against Stephenville. Those were only his 5th & 6th turnovers this year, respectively. I think he got the INTs out of his system yesterday. I predict no INTs by Stafford against Marshall.

Also, Marshall will need to contain the mighty & quick Dickenson twins if they hope to come away with a 'W'. They're a threat anytime the Scots have the ball.

HP's defense may not be as big as the guys from East Texas but they're playing for all the marbles...the first state title for HP since 1957. If the Mavs are turning the ball over that much (9 times...? :roll: ), the Scots will take advantage of it.

So...here's my prediction: Highland Park 38, Marshall 23
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OC Mustang » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:42 pm

I expect one thing for definite. Coach Phil will be there. He is from Marshall, still has family in Marshall, and I suspect that there are players from both teams he would like to see live and in color. And isn't his son, Sam, going to HP?

HP has Stafford and I am sure a half dozen others in their roster that if Bennett hasn't seen already, he'd like to.

Marshall has a couple of stud linebackers that ought to make Stafford a little concerned, and I hope Bennett dutifully enough impressed to hold the presses and extend offers to (accepting the offers is another battle...I just hope they get offers). One is Kris Garcia, #46 and Justin Smart #23. Smart was looking at OSU last I heard. I am hopeful that somehow, Coach Phil makes it to this game. Who knows? Maybe I am whizzing in the wind, but I think it would be fantastic to have a one Mr. Stafford playing at SMU with a one Justin Smart. Ah to dream....
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:14 am

Yes, Coach Phil's son is on the HP team.

Unfortunately, Stafford has already committed (orally) to Georgia. His girlfriend and his sister both go to school there and I believe his father is an alum.

I just can't believe that this game is being played in Tyler at Rose Stadium! It only seats about 14,000. HP could fill that up on its own! The game against Ennis at Texas Stadium saw over 22,000 in attendance and yesterday's game against Stephenville saw about 21,000 at Fouts Field in Denton.

Randy Allen is one heckuva coach for HP, even if he does dress kinda funny!
MrMustang1965

Postby Dukie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:46 pm

Just chiming in on a couple of things.

Stafford broke up with the UGa girlfriend. Despite that, he's reaffirmed his commitment. Seems to have a strong connection with their coaching staff. Indeed, he's enrolling in January after graduating from HP in a week or two, so I think there's no chance in hell of him jumping ship now.

I agree completely with how crappy it will be to have a state-title game in Tyler. It's Marshall's fault; they wouldn't agree to a neutral-site location, which could have put the game somewhere halfway decent like Baylor. Stephenville played similar games by insisting on Fouts Field at UNT (yuck); the funniest thing was how that backfired on the Jackets because the 20 mph wind blowing against them absolutely silenced all those godawful ball-bearing thingies. Hope they enjoyed the bicep workout anyway.

In four playoff games so far, HP (ranked #2 in 4A by AP) has beaten #3 Stephenville, #6 Texarkana Texas, and #8 Ennis. Marshall has played relative creampuffs. Their loss to Longview also doesn't look quite so good after the Lobos got beat by South Garland in the 5A first round, and the Colonels promptly went nowhere themselves.

My bet is HP is PO'ed about the drive to play in a third-rate stadium and will blow Marshall off the field.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby mr. pony » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:36 pm

Lukin-Carroll will also be in a 15,000 seat stadium.

LHS coach John Outlaw won the toss, and probably plans to squeeze out the Carroll fans. East Texas WILL camp out the night before.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:37 pm

check that - Lufkin
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:39 pm

Hey, Dukie. Ever been to Rose Stadium? There's nothing third rate about it.

It's just not huge. HP better get there early too. :)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:51 pm

Yes, I've been there. It's perfectly fine for a small-town high school stadium, even nice. But for a state-championship site it's third-rate, by which I mean:

First-rate: Texas Stadium, Reliant, Alamodome, Royal-Memorial, Rice

Second-rate: Ford, Amon Carter, Floyd Casey, Kyle

Third-rate: Pretty much anything else.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:51 pm

Dukie wrote:Yes, I've been there. It's perfectly fine for a small-town high school stadium, even nice. But for a state-championship site it's third-rate, by which I mean:

First-rate: Texas Stadium, Reliant, Alamodome, Royal-Memorial, Rice

Second-rate: Ford, Amon Carter, Floyd Casey, Kyle

Third-rate: Pretty much anything else.

I don't know that I'd include Rice Stadium among the "first rate" sites. I'd put in Ford before I'd put in Rice. Of course I'm not really to fond of the place anyways.
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Postby abezontar » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:53 pm

you consider rice's stadium first rate? Based on what? Have you been there in the last 50 years? It may seat 70,000 but that place is falling apart, I would say it is in worse shape than the cotton bowl. Plus Kyle seats more now.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby OC Mustang » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:40 pm

In response to the stadium comments...I imagine the guys over here would love to play higher profile stadium. Several things got in the way.
Casey Stadium in Waco not available at time desired...that is where I will be, welcoming soldiers back from Iraq. I would have loved it at the stadium at a later time...might have actually been able to make the game.

Marshall would most certainly have liked Texas Stadium, or even Ford (they contemplated Ford Stadium for this last game vs. Phlugerville). But both are essentially home games for HP in terms of travel time, etc.

Sorry you don't like it. Not my favorite either. But Marshall has seen the inside of Texas Stadium before. Been there, done that. Same for SFA, Casey, Astrodome, Kyle Field, etc. They want the win. And as for Longview, they did not win out as easily as you think. Ask their coaches.

As for playing creampuffs...well, we'll see after Saturday. I stand by my comments. HP wins if Marshall turns the ball over like they have the last few weeks. If they don't, HP will never know what hit them. I do give the passing game some serious kudos (would be a dumba-- not to), and if I were Coach Southern & Co., I would be concerned. But don't think for a minute that winning out is HP's manifest destiny. Marshall has done this a few times also, and a whole lot more recently. I give the hunger edge to HP, but I give the win to Marshall (who else would I say would win it?)

BTW, I know HP plays disciplined ball, and they better this week. They have not seen the same level of team speed as Marshall has, and any team that can turn the ball over as many times as Marshall tends to and still win...I'd be concerned no matter who it is.
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:24 pm

Playing this game in Tyler is insane. Aren't both schools losing out on potential $$$ by having it in a smaller stadium?
MrMustang1965

Postby smupony94 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:28 pm

So when did the teams get to decide where they play? Doesn't the UiL have a say?
smupony94

Postby smupony94 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:29 pm

Oh, and go HP
smupony94

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop