PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

HP Wins...& I am here for my Cyber Flogging

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby OC Mustang » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:59 am

Sorry White Helmet, but Dukie and I were discussing this last week.
Waco was taken, at least during the day. And as for a nighttime game, I would have been happy to have it, but for whatever reason it didn't.

The story I get is that Southern told Allen he could have any place he wanted to play outside of the greater metroplex and that was available to play. Coach Allen wanted Tx Stadium. Southern said no. Therefore, coin flip. They call their preferred stadiums (this is where it gets dicey on Marshall's choice), with Allen picking Tx Stadium (duh...only thing better would have been Ford) and Southern picking Tyler Rose, designed probably as an incentive to move Allen off of the metroplex (I am so hoping he didnt pick it for any other reason...the Marshall paper has a "speak out" section, and they got torched over the choice.)

The rest is history. Marshall wins coin flip...loses game.

BTW, Waco is roughly 3 hrs from Marshall going down the 31...and even longer taking interstates. That ain't close. Rose is 55 minutes, tops. At least it was a short ride home.
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:01 am

White, you're a thread too late. Waco was apparently unavailable. Marshall offered Kyle Field but HP (quite rationally) said "no" to grass. Tho I agree that everyone from HP would've preferred Shreveport, which has the same field as Tyler.

OC, it was #46. Didn't save my program so I can't tell you the name.

'65, the biggest lead in '77 was 28 points. I agree with those who think trick plays at 42-0 in the third quarter are a poor choice. Not saying the Scots should take a knee or anything, but a double-reverse, halfback-pass-to-the-quarterback kind of call is not a good idea. I bet the UGa staff particularly loved that one! :D
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:45 am

Interesting trivia: After the game-site flip, there is apparently a second flip for who gets the home side. Seems like a smart addition designed to keep a school from picking stadiums with drastically unequal home-and-way seating. HP won the second flip, btw, which is why we weren't looking into the sun on Saturday. Unfortunately, given the first-half result, it also meant that the stadium looked empty on TV, while in fact not more than a handful of HP fans left until well after the trophy presentation.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby OC Mustang » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:40 pm

Hi Dukie...
Interesting about Kyle. Makes sense.

Didn't know about the second flip. But I didn't get to see any of the game except still photos. I really wanted to see at least some of it. Oh well.

#46...I think it was Kris Garcia. His old man is the booster club president.
He has never pulled anything like that. Not known for being difficult.
But he does have a reputation for being oh-my-gosh competitive, so I am only mildly surprised, especially given the whippin'. I won't rationalize it more than that. That kind of stuff doesn't belong on the field. And as for the trick play, I still would love to even be able to see it. I can't even see it, so I have nothing to complain about anyway. :wink:

More interesting trivia. Marshall, evidently, has played HP two other times, including during the '57 season that HP took their last state championship. In no contest has Marshall won...in fact, in no contest has Marshall ever scored a single point. :oops:

I thought it was an intriguing point. Marshall's paper printed it this AM, along with more comments about the game. Bottom line, Marshall got pummelled. There were some comments about the sportsmanship too...along the lines of wishing it hadn't happened. The newspaper has a new lady covering sports since our mainstay took a job mid-season with a Temple, TX newspaper. She scorched the Marshall fans for bailing during the game. Said it was a crappy thing to do to teenage boys. I agree.
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:02 pm

More trivia: HP and Marshall's first meeting was in 1945. HP won state that year also. In fact, I've felt pretty bad for the '45 team as I see article after article about '57 in the DMN, and the '57 team had not one but two full pages in the "Scots Illustrated" program that the HP booster club puts out, but zero mention of the '45 team. It's not like they're all dead, either.

If you really want to see the game, I'll bet Park Cities cable runs it on Channel 16 for weeks. I'll call my parents and see if they can tape it.

FWIW, less than half of Marshall's fans left at halftime (and they appeared to be the older and more peripheral folks) and at least a third were still there to the end. I think they would have given the team a round of applause on a great season if the team hadn't just run off the field immediately at the final whistle.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:12 pm

Don't worry, Dukie & OC. The DVD/video of the HP v Marshall game will be out soon.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:58 pm

OC, it appears that the entire game has been archived on www.hpisd.org; I think this is the page:

http://www.hpisd.org/contents2.asp?id=49
Dukie
Heisman

Postby OC Mustang » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:39 pm

:D

You the man!!!!! Thx.
OC Mustang
Heisman

Parade!

Postby HPPony » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:26 am

HPISD sent the following email to parents in the district. FYI:

The City of University Park & Town of Highland Park are planning a parade to celebrate the football & tennis team state championships at 10:30 a.m. Saturday! For more details, click here to read the announcement: http://www.uptexas.org/index.cfm?FuseAc ... icleID=257

Replays of the game are airing on Channel 16 at 2 p.m. every day and at 7 p.m. every evening except Monday and Thursday. You can also view the game 24 hours a day by clicking on the video replay here: http://www.hpisd.org/contents2.asp?id=49
HPPony
Scout Team

Postby No Quarter » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:00 am

This is really a late post but I was really irritated by the location of the Championshio game. Having traveled from Georgia to Shreveport and driven to Tyler for the Texarkana game, I certainly agree with those who suggest that Shreveport would have been a better venue for the last game
Nonetheless I would have tried to attend the final except I'd seen the endzones and expected them to be packed. When the Dallas papers reported the available tickets sold out in one day I gave up on the idea of seeing the game live and was glad for the telecast.

I hope the rules are changed.

If HP ran up the score, well Marshall could have been more generous in picking a location AND shown more sportsmanship at the end. At least the officials were pretty decent.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby OC Mustang » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:28 pm

HP didn't run up any score...it was just that ugly in the first half. HP just beat Marshall. Yeah, the big goose-egg suggests that Marshall didn't show up, but HP clicked on all cylinders. That was an ole-fashioned whuppin'. Wasn't even an aerial circus. I think even Coach Allen was a little surprised how they won...on the ground.

If HP ran up the score, well Marshall could have been more generous in picking a location AND shown more sportsmanship at the end. At least the officials were pretty decent.

You are right about the sportsmanship. The kid that got ejected deserved it. And I don't know about the shaking hands thing. Sounded pretty bad.

But you are wrong about being more generous. Marshall's Coach Southern told Coach Allen that he would play in any venue available except one in metroplex (Kyle Field & Astrodome were mentioned). Coach Allen insisted on Texas Stadium. No acrimony...just agreement to disagree. Rules say in that event, go with coin flip. Coach Allen picked Texas Stadium, and Coach Southern picked Tyler Rose.

If Coach Allen had won the coin toss, nobody in Marshall would have complained about travel to Dallas. Marshall braved a 5A title game in 1990 in the Astrodome in an ice storm (but the team was Converse Judson, and they didn't insist on having the game in San Antonio or Austin). Travel wasn't the issue. What was at issue was that in picking home-&-home, there was no compelling reason to pick a sight far away. Why do so? To accomodate the other team? Why create a win-win for the other team? The coin flip is supposed to be the proverbial carrot and stick for coaches to come to an agreement ahead of time. But Coach Allen wanted Texas Stadium. He wouldn't budge. Coach Southern didn't want to play in Texas Stadium (Marshall got beat there last year). He wouldn't budge. Sorry, but HP would not have agreed to giving Marshall a mulligan. The fact that you think Marshall should have given a mulligan to Coach Allen makes me chuckle. Ya'll won the game; that should be enough.

BTW, I would have killed to be able to go to the game...even in an endzone seat. I have spent my adult life following both teams, having lived in both places. But I couldn't go; my brother-in-law returned from Iraq. You CHOSE not to go because of poor seating. Your bad. I guess we are both glad for streaming internet and HPISD.

End of story...unless you want to count the idiotic statement that HP's state rep made about this issue being more important than school finance.
HP should go looking for another rep if this guy was even remotely serious. That's just clueless.

In any case, HP won that game the hard way...the way games like that should be won. They dominated the line of scrimmage and pounded it on the ground. They were pleasant to watch, especially HPs running back. I want that guy at SMU. Talk about a gritty competitor. Cool beard too. :wink:

I am still very hopeful that Marshall's linebacker, Justin Smart, foregoes OSU for SMU. He has not committed to my knowledge. May be wrong...Should ask Stallion. He is a leader, and gritty in his own rite. No beard though. :wink:
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:56 pm

HP's running back that you refer to is Jake Feldt. He's awesome, isn't he? Hopefully Phil Bennett has convinced him to come to S.M.U.
MrMustang1965

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:54 pm

yes he would be a great walk-on.
Stallion

Postby PonyPride » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:15 pm

Stallion wrote:yes he would be a great walk-on.
Agreed.
PonyPride

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop