PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

media coverage

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

media coverage

Postby bubbascelfo » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:42 pm

Hey folks, I'm glad SMU is C-USA and obviously y'all proved on the field that you belong, but I've got to tell you one thing: I've been a CUSA fan since the beginning, and no program, NO PROGRAM, has ever received worse media coverage than SMU.
I wish y'all could change that because you deserve better, but those little two-three sentence blurbs from Calvin Watkins and the DMN are just embarrasingly indequate. I thought the Houston Chronicle's coverage of UH was bad, but it's outstanding compared to the way the your media craps on y'all.
It's a poor reflection on SMU and the conference. I hope it gets better.
bubbascelfo

Postby covok48 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:43 am

It's not the lack of coverage that's so bad. It's that the local media have jumped on the Texas bandwagon and adopted UT as their 'home' team, and ANY mention of SMU anywhere is always followed by "SMU is the only school to receive the death penalty..."
---------------

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning isn't very exciting." -- [deleted] Vermeil
covok48
Junior Varsity

Postby ponygirl08 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:43 pm

Bubba - you are totally right. not that our football team has done anything amazing in the last few years - but this year was a big year and the only mention was us beating TCU...or housing the Tulane football team after the hurricane. And that's just football!!! SMU soccer is one of the best teams in the NATION and after their trip to the Final Four - there was no mention whatsoever about them! I doubt anyone outside of the SMU bubble knows how great our team is! And them basketball - the only time they talk about SMU basketball is when they lose big - or its about Bhop...mostly when was talking about leaving for the nba draft after last season. But then again with BELO controlling most of the news coverage in this town(newspaper and our favorite :roll: Dale Hansen) I shouldn't expect anything less. Until SMU has anything to do with the Cowboys - or the Stars playoffs - or the Mavs playoffs...we won't hear anything about them.
GO RED!
GO BLUE!
GO MUSTANGS!
S-M-U!
ponygirl08
Scout Team

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:50 pm

bubba...judging from your name, do you/did you live in the uptown area of Nola? Any of your family a Jesuit Bluejay? Or a CUSA coach for that matter?
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby bubbascelfo » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:20 pm

none of the three ... sorry ...
bubbascelfo

Postby mr. pony » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:48 pm

We've got lots of posts on the football side about sorry media coverage.

Until enough people consistently raise hell with the DMN and WFAA, (like yours truly - Chip Brown hates me. :lol: ), nothing will change.

Let 'em here it. Thanks for the post, bubba. Please send it to dmnsports@dallasnews.com dhansen@wfaa.com.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby McClown27 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:18 pm

Inside the bubble, even the Park Cities People does not cover SMU athletics adequately.

Calvin Watkins is a good beat reporter for the DMN.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:35 pm

This thread caused a thought to cross my mind that hasn't before. A good measuring stick for coverage would be that given to Tulane by the Times-Picayune. Similarities abound...private school...pro sports in town that compete....BCS school close by with a lot of alums to that school in town...CUSA for the local school...I may just start comparing the T-P vs. DMN over the next few weeks. It would be a good apples to apples comparison.
RGV Pony

Postby McClown27 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:25 pm

RGV Pony wrote:This thread caused a thought to cross my mind that hasn't before. A good measuring stick for coverage would be that given to Tulane by the Times-Picayune. Similarities abound...private school...pro sports in town that compete....BCS school close by with a lot of alums to that school in town...CUSA for the local school...I may just start comparing the T-P vs. DMN over the next few weeks. It would be a good apples to apples comparison.

I think the University of Cincinnati is also a good candidate.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Re: media coverage

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:02 pm

bubbascelfo wrote:Hey folks, I'm glad SMU is C-USA and obviously y'all proved on the field that you belong, but I've got to tell you one thing: I've been a CUSA fan since the beginning, and no program, NO PROGRAM, has ever received worse media coverage than SMU.
I wish y'all could change that because you deserve better, but those little two-three sentence blurbs from Calvin Watkins and the DMN are just embarrasingly indequate. I thought the Houston Chronicle's coverage of UH was bad, but it's outstanding compared to the way the your media craps on y'all.
It's a poor reflection on SMU and the conference. I hope it gets better.

Isn't the C-USA office in Dallas? Seems quite odd they wouldn't pay attention to that? I haven't noticed Houston's coverage but that would be a good comparison since they have a lot of pro sports.

1. SMU has sucked for 17 years in fball and bball so I think they have forgotten about SMU.
2. SMU marketing does nothing to promote themselves in the Dallas community.
Pony_Fan

Postby Eddie P » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:10 pm

That's a pretty broad-based accusation: SMU marketing does nothing to promote to the Dallas community.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby HixsontoLeVias » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:29 pm

If we ever freakin' did something that was news worthy, we might see some coverage.....to compare Tulane / NO to SMU / Dallas is way off....maybe a Georgia Tech / Atlanta comparison would be more in line, but the Jackets have ceretainly offered more reporting opps over the last 10 years v. SMU...also, getting the local media types to "hate you" will certainly elevate our standing....I'll never forget, during my Mustang Club board days, we invited the head of the DMN sports page to a Mustang Club Q&A, loveable John Bauer starts the ball rolling with some sort of "shame on you Dave Brown, SHAME!!! on you, for your Beep..beep, crap arse, beep, beep coverage of SMU!!" Very embarassing, sure we scored some big points with that...around 1992-93, I recall.....byw, what have we done since then????
HixsontoLeVias
All-American

Re: media coverage

Postby ponygirl08 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:19 am

[quote="Pony_Fan"]
2. SMU marketing does nothing to promote themselves in the Dallas community.[/quote]

I'm gonna call you out on this one...you obviously either don't live in Dallas or leave your house. If you go downtown you will see SMU posters on many street corners - mostly along the dart rail tracks. If you go into the AAC you will see posters/ads for the Mustangs. In the DMN you will see huge - sometimes full page ads - about upcoming games - let alone billboards along Central. For the lack of amazing athletics - the department does a LOT of advertising in Dallas.
GO RED!
GO BLUE!
GO MUSTANGS!
S-M-U!
ponygirl08
Scout Team

Postby PonyGirl » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:47 am

Eddie P wrote:That's a pretty broad-based accusation: SMU marketing does nothing to promote to the Dallas community.
Wrong. They'd do more with a bigger budget, of course, but they bust their butts. The billboards in south Dallas, the billboard over Central expressway for the football season, the promotion of the soccer teams, etc. -- to suggest they do nothing is simply inaccurate and unfair. Tell you what -- what say you help boost the marketing effort by making a donation to their budget?
PonyGirl
Varsity

Return to Around the Hilltop