PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

D Magazine Blog -

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

D Magazine Blog -

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:35 pm

http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/ - how true it is -
(I didn't write this)

RE: SMU ALUMS
A fellow SMU alum weighs in:

I'm a fairly recent SMU alum (2001), and I don't go to games -- I go to more games from my HS alma mater (Highland Park). The thing is, a school has to cultivate school spirit in their athletic program for alumni to really feel an attachment to their teams. Even though SMU basketball has been solid, if underperforming, teams, SMU hasn't been able to really drive students to the game and get a buzz going on campus. For most students, SMU football is just something that happens on Saturday and really, really messes up parking on campus. And basketball is an afterthought. I don't think the school has done a good job of creating excitement about the games -- promotions, student incentives to go, whatever. They seem to be trying to reach out more to Dallas in general -- but Dallas won't be interested until the students make it exciting to go to games again. It takes time to build a city-wide fanbase, something has to come from good programs and strong alumni that really evangelize the teams. But alumni don't care, because no one cared when they were in school -- just because they went to the school doesn't mean they want to go watch mediocre sports. SMU needs to rebuild tradition with the student base, and let that crawl naturally outward to the city.
Like I said, it's a chicken and egg thingy. Or is it? One cannot assume that basketball/football victories will automatically increase attendance, just as increased attendance doesn't translate to a winning program. Can they? Anyone out there looking for a sports economy thesis?

Adam McGill · 03:57 PM
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby that's great raplh » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:33 pm

(I didn't write this)

who is smoking now?
that's great raplh

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:32 pm

that's great raplh wrote:
(I didn't write this)

who is smoking now?
you are - this kid is maybe 25?
Pony_Fan

Postby smupony94 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:36 pm

Raplh = put the catnip away
smupony94

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:54 pm

This kid is a student who doesn't go to games, and writes about it. Truthful or not, he's a freaking homo. Get off you [deleted] and support your school.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Hoss » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:30 pm

KnuckleStang wrote:This kid is a student who doesn't go to games, and writes about it. Truthful or not, he's a freaking homo. Get off you [deleted] and support your school.
Who's the student, Adam McGill?
No he's not. I know him (not personally, but we've met a few times). He's an assistant editor or something at that magazine.
Hoss
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:38 pm

Hoss wrote:
KnuckleStang wrote:This kid is a student who doesn't go to games, and writes about it. Truthful or not, he's a freaking homo. Get off you [deleted] and support your school.
Who's the student, Adam McGill?
No he's not. I know him (not personally, but we've met a few times). He's an assistant editor or something at that magazine.

Yes, he is the editor at D magazine. Yes, it is funny how this kids writes in and said he didn't go to games but [deleted] about it.

Here is more:

RE: SMU ALUMS

Imagine a Venn diagram of SMU alums and FrontBurnervians and you have an idea of what my inbox looks like. More comments from the FB Nation after the jump.

There's this:

Success on the field can be directly correlated to an increase in attendance. Case in point: TCU, 40 miles to the west and very similar in history and demographics to SMU.

TCU drew poorly in the 70s, 80s and part of the 90s when its football team stunk. Once they got things turned around in the late 90s and maintained that level of success, the crowds kept getting bigger. The school is able to draw at least 30,000 to 35,000 to every home game - not that big a crowd compared to UT or A&M, but given TCU's size and small alumni base (only about 30,000 in the D-FW area) that's a solid number.

More importantly, the school has worked hard to cultivate excitement and interest among the student body. The coaches visit the fraternities and sororities each year to ask for their support, and you see pep rallies, spirit decorations, etc. on campus much more now than you did 15 years ago. That has paid off in the stands each Saturday, when you see hundreds of students in purple screaming until they are hoarse.

However, if SMU is going to change the student culture in a similar fashion, winning is a good place to start.

And this:
I couldn't agree more. SMU has done a bang-up job of alienating its alums in general. I was dragged to the homecoming game against whoever it was they played (and beat, actually), and there were maybe 7,000 there. There were more people out on Bishop Blvd eating hot dogs than in the stands.

And, as a former Mustang on the track team, I can tell you they're going in the wrong direction. Last year, they killed the men's track team for no good reason. The men's track team was the only program on campus to have national champions in the past decade, had numerous Olympians, whose success gave SMU prominent exposure across the country and around the world.

So none of us shold expect much from the football squad for the next 40-50 years.

Which raises the question of Title IX--a whole 'nother can o' worms, one that I choose not to get into so close to happy hour/kick-off.
Pony_Fan

Return to Around the Hilltop