PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What happened to the Bush Library thread??????

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What happened to the Bush Library thread??????

Postby friarwolf » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:45 am

nm
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby PonyPride » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:15 am

Sorry, but it was removed. As has been stated many times before, this board is run to support and discuss SMU's athletic department. There's a little latitude granted, of course, on the general board. There was nothing wrong with the "Bush library is a good idea for these reasons" and the "Bush idea is a bad idea for these other reasons" comments, because obviously the possibility of the library ending up here does affect SMU and its community. But when the thread morphed into a forum through which people started preaching their political views (and attacking those of others who held different points of view), it got very heated. Several posters started attacking each other, name calling, making things very personal, etc. There are other boards for that.
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BrianTinBigD » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:35 am

Looks like we need a forum where we can move threads that get out of control or get members suspended. Everyone loves a good train wreck. Maybe we can call it The Pony Prison :-)
Class of '91
BrianTinBigD
Heisman

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:31 pm

BrianTinBigD wrote: Maybe we can call it The Pony Prison :-)

I thought that was Boaz Hall?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Lamont_Cranston » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:42 pm

Something is about to happen at the corner of Airline & Mockingbird, folks. The liquor stores went out of business a few weeks ago. Driving by there today, we noticed that the dry cleaners is now vacant, too. All that's left now is the 7-11. Anybody got a clue?
"37"
Lamont_Cranston
Junior Varsity

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:23 am

Sad to say that some of my fondest memories are drinking at that location at halftime.
smupony94

Postby couch 'em » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:21 am

For what it is worth, I stopped by that 7-11 today and noticed that Sagno's Pizza is still opperational. I also noticed alot of activity in the Baird's plant, including lights on inside and cars parked. I wonder if they two are related.
couch 'em

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:00 am

couch 'em wrote:For what it is worth, I stopped by that 7-11 today and noticed that Sagno's Pizza is still opperational. I also noticed alot of activity in the Baird's plant, including lights on inside and cars parked. I wonder if the two are related.
I believe that Sagno's Pizza is now gone, too.
MrMustang1965

Postby MrMustang1965 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:03 am

Video Shows Details of Failed Bid for Bush Library

By PATRICK McGEE Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Arlington might have had an outdoor 9/11 memorial and an institution supporting infant democracies around the world if the city was selected to be the site for the George W. Bush presidential library and museum.

This vision for the 43rd president’s museum is detailed in a video released by Arlington Mayor Robert Cluck. It was part of a failed bid for the library the city made last year.

The first round of cuts in October bumped Arlington out along with University of Texas System bids to build the library in either Austin or on the UT-Dallas campus in Richardson.

Still in the running for the multimillion-dollar presidential library and museum are Southern Methodist University in Dallas, the University of Dallas in Irving, Baylor University in Waco and the West Texas Coalition which is campaigning to get the library built at Texas Tech University in Lubbock.

Finalists presented their proposals in November to a committee charged with recommending a site. A decision has yet to be released, and committee representatives could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Cluck said Arlington’s bid committee withheld a portion of the privately produced video that identified a specific site for the presidential library and a 30-page book presented to the White House because it also identifies the privately held site.

With actress Janine Turner narrating, the video tells of a possible George W. Bush Institute for Peace and Prosperity that would bestow a Hero of Freedom Award to liberty’s advocates. Turner also talks of an outdoor 9/11 memorial featuring all the names of those killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Turner describes library programs to help fledgling democracies and programs to help teachers to honor First Lady Laura Bush’s commitment to education. A mock military tent would house exhibits of U.S. military operations in Afghanistan, and “fields of peace” would allow youngsters from all over the world to gather and play baseball.

“I think we made a great presentation,” Cluck said, adding that parts of the video might be used for future economic development presentations.
Arlington’s video includes people active in the community such as Jeff Williams, former president of the River Legacy Foundation, and dance instructor Persis Forester.

Many of them auditioned for the video, according to Kristin Vandergriff, a member of the committee that made Arlington’s bid.

She said they had only two-and-a-half to three weeks to make the video. Scrambling to get it done, Vandergriff said she walked into an Arlington fire station and asked some firefighter to vouch for the city.

“I simply walked over and said, ‘Hey would you be interested in helping us?’ and they were more than willing to help,” she said.

Three of the uniformed firemen appear on a firetruck bumper talking about how Arlington is a friendly place.

A diverse array of Arlington residents including an Iraqi American, a Main Street cobbler and schoolchildren also appear teeming with enthusiasm and promising that Arlington is the perfect place to enshrine the president’s letters and legacy.

Turner opens and closes on a leafy walking trail near Ameriquest Field where the Texas Rangers play. The video includes flattering shots of the city including quaint homes, the Parks at Arlington mall and the University of Texas at Arlington.

Cluck said a little more than $100,000 was raised privately for Arlington’s pitch. Vandergriff said the Dallas-based Scott Howell & Company produced the video.

Cluck said Arlington could not compete with the $500 million that the 10-city West Texas Coalition said it would spend on the presidential library project.

“We knew we couldn’t do that,” Cluck said. “It wasn’t easy raising $100,000.”

The West Texas Coalition’s video is the only other video made public so far.

The video narrated by Cowboy poet Red Steagall shows aerial shots of rural landscapes and tells of the West's rich heritage and notes Texas Tech’s ability to archive important documents. Cheerful residents and regional leaders invite the president to build in the panhandle.

The video, which lasts about 8½ minutes, can be seen at http://www.kcbd.com/Global/category.asp?C=69626.
MrMustang1965

Return to Around the Hilltop