PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thank goodness for the Daily Campus

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby covok48 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:40 pm

"when it does it is EdBoard making outlandish and critical statements with no factual basis."

Anyone care to reply to this? I think this is more of a problem then getting enough sports pictures or articles in the paper. It's the attitude towards sports in general by the staff of the DC that's at issue here. I recall reading an article about how SMU spent too much money on athletics and not enough on other things. Funny thing is there were no dollar amounts as to how much money was spent or what % of the school money was spent on athletics.
---------------

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning isn't very exciting." -- [deleted] Vermeil
covok48
Junior Varsity

Postby blkjack34 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:44 pm

Anyone care to reply to this? I think this is more of a problem then getting enough sports pictures or articles in the paper. It's the attitude towards sports in general by the staff of the DC that's at issue here. I recall reading an article about how SMU spent too much money on athletics and not enough on other things. Funny thing is there were no dollar amounts as to how much money was spent or what % of the school money was spent on athletics.[/quote]

You have to remember though, the whole purpose of a paper is free speech. If it is somebody's opinion or attitude that SMU is spending too much money on sports, then that is their thing and of course, you are free to disagree with them. Yes, it would have helped if the author included actual dollar amounts, but regardless, that person is free to think what he wants. Also, that article was written by a student who is not actually on our staff.
blkjack34
Recruit

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:28 pm

blkjack34 wrote:Sadly, the only time the journalism students write for us is when the teachers make them do it for a grade.
Are you kidding me? When I was a RTV/Journalism major, it was REQUIRED to write at least THREE STORIES per week for the campus newspaper! And the paper was published on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

It's nice to know that staff members from the DC read and post on www.ponyfans.com. I'm sorry about the staff shortage over there. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon.
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dutch » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:58 pm

MrMustang1965 wrote:
blkjack34 wrote:Sadly, the only time the journalism students write for us is when the teachers make them do it for a grade.
Are you kidding me? When I was a RTV/Journalism major, it was REQUIRED to write at least THREE STORIES per week for the campu newspaper! And the paper was published on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

It's nice to know that staff members from the DC read and post on www.ponyfans.com. I'm sorry about the staff shortage over there. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon.

but you weren't writing for the SMU Daily Campus. just pointing out a fact. different times, different schools, different papers, and different available majors. can't really make any comparison.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:06 pm

Phil_Bennett's_Mustache wrote:
MrMustang1965 wrote:
Are you kidding me? When I was a RTV/Journalism major, it was REQUIRED to write at least THREE STORIES per week for the campu newspaper! And the paper was published on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

but you weren't writing for the SMU Daily Campus. just pointing out a fact. different times, different schools, different papers, and different available majors. can't really make any comparison.
True. And I worked in the media from 1977-2004.
MrMustang1965

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 pm

Did you all get a new advisor when the last one left a couple years ago? I think that if the DC had a young, motivated advisor that got people excited about working for the paper, things would start to turn around.
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:32 am

when the last DC advisor, Judy Babb, left SMU, her job was wrapped up into the job of the executive director as a way to cut spending in an advertising market that is not exactly booming right now.
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:54 am

When I wrote for the DC in the dark ages we had by spring semester 2 writers. We made it a point to cover every sport including back then baseball, track, golf, tennis, swimming, basketball and intramural sports. It meant perhaps not actually attending every event but meeting with the coaches or athletes to discuss the results or the upcoming event. They were always gracious and gave us time and usually gave us some grief about the coverage of their sport. I don't know if the DC still pays writers. But that semester, I ended up the highest paid writer on the staff because I filed a story virtually every day. We did occasionally (when we got a free pass) go to a pro event and write about it.
EastStang

Postby Kappas Are Yummy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:25 pm

aus10fromhous10 wrote:when the last DC advisor, Judy Babb, left SMU, her job was wrapped up into the job of the executive director as a way to cut spending in an advertising market that is not exactly booming right now.

As I recall, the exec director isn't exactly young or motivated. I also didn't realize so many DC alums were on the board.
Just my two cents.
Kappas Are Yummy
Junior Varsity

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:21 pm

Kappas Are Yummy wrote:
As I recall, the exec director isn't exactly young or motivated. I also didn't realize so many DC alums were on the board.

Yeah, um no comment... :D
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop