PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jack's Pub is no mas!

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Cheesesteak » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:38 am

Getting a presidential library is the biggest and most important thing that could happen to SMU.

The opportunities for academic enrichment and enhanced national prestige are almost endless.

New institutes and programs...world famous speakers and visitors...superior faculty recruitment in selected fields...research funding...infrastructure improvements...SMU as a true national destination/place of interest...

I am a life-long Republican who is disgusted (he actually makes me ill) with Bush but I hope every day for the Bush Library at Southern Methodist University.

Talk about a double-edged sword.

Nothing else is more important for SMU!
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Fresh » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:06 am

Cheesesteak wrote:Getting a presidential library is the biggest and most important thing that could happen to SMU.

The opportunities for academic enrichment and enhanced national prestige are almost endless.

New institutes and programs...world famous speakers and visitors...superior faculty recruitment in selected fields...research funding...infrastructure improvements...SMU as a true national destination/place of interest...

I am a life-long Republican who is disgusted (he actually makes me ill) with Bush but I hope every day for the Bush Library at Southern Methodist University.

Talk about a double-edged sword.

Nothing else is more important for SMU!
I also am a lifelong Republican, and like you, I'm less than giddy (to be nice about it) over the current administration, although I understand this isn't a political forum (there are other places for such rants). So, speaking strictly from the perspective of how it affects SMU: The difference between us is that once the initial fanfare and ribbon-cutting wear off, I see nothing beneficial from this thing. I guess it will draw more visitors .... so? If it somehow gets more top-notch students and faculty, cool. I'm sure there will be the occasional news story where they quote someone from inside the library .... I don't know, I've never voted for anyone other than a Republican, and this stupid thing just doesn't excite me at all. Honestly, I'd get more fired up (a lot more fired up) about a new natatorium so Coach Sinnott and Coach Collins could recruit competitively against the schools that look like their facilities were built by NASA. Now THAT would be construction I wouldn't mind going around.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:29 am

I am sitting in the middle of the current living proof of what a Presidential Library can do. I am a solid consistant Clinton basher but can easily see the benefits that are and will be derived by having a Library in Little Rock. Of course,Dallas does not necessarily need the addtional tax revenue that Little Rock does, but I am sure it will not be turned down. That, coupled with what will be more positvie than negative publicity with SMU being mentioned will not hurt anything and will be nice for the school. The benefits over several years, I feel will be great. An addition of the Library will not build a new Natatorium or BB arena, but exposure from the existance of the Library at SMU, if we get it, can very easily indirectly be responsible for such achievements occuring. Realize, as I do here in the Little Rock area, that it is not those of us here that make the difference in the money inflow from the Library, but rather those who come from other places. Maybe even a family with an athletically gifted child who visits the campus at a young age and remembers it when it is time to pick a school in which to enroll. The benefits are many and long lasting.
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OC Mustang » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:37 am

Bush Presidential library should provide the following to SMU:

1. Tourism - more people will come near/on campus
2. State prestige - this will be shared among the state...we will have three libraries in the state; nice statistic for Texas (and I am all about TX)
3. Historical & Political Science research opportunities - between this and the Tower Center, we move up by and order of magnitude in our political science, history, and constitutional law programs

Think about what all has occurred on this president's watch...it is a political scientist's or historian's dream...terrorism, war, congressional elections, election strategy, SCOTUS appointments, SCOTUS decisions (think eminent domain and 2000 election), disaster response (sociological study), immigration reform (or lack of), wartime economics, corporate and lobby scandals (ethics), and finally, the tension between political agendas and bureaucratic managerial snafus (which, if the Republic is to survive, we should get more of a handle on).

A library, if Bush & Co. kept decent notes, would be particularly useful for the study of the period of 2000-2008. I don't think it is a political thing. The bottom line is, for lack of a better way to say it, his administration defines and is defined by a country trying to find its way through unchartered waters. Were I a student again, if given a choice to study through that, I'd rather do it in the comfortable confines of SMU, not West Texas or Rice or somewhere else.
OC Mustang
Heisman

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:06 pm

OC Mustang wrote:
Think about what all has occurred on this president's watch...it is a political scientist's or historian's dream...terrorism, war, congressional elections, election strategy, SCOTUS appointments, SCOTUS decisions (think eminent domain and 2000 election), disaster response (sociological study), immigration reform (or lack of), wartime economics, corporate and lobby scandals (ethics), and finally, the tension between political agendas and bureaucratic managerial snafus (which, if the Republic is to survive, we should get more of a handle on).

And there are still two more years worth of curveballs the world can throw our way.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby KnuckleStang » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:06 pm

hunters wrote:
It seems like the bush2 library might be worse press for the school when we are trying to shed the image of big business.

We are? When did this happen, and why wasn't I informed?
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:23 pm

First, this administration has some faults, but I think they are really trying to do what they can to reduce the risks of more attacks on our soil. Yeah, they were wrong on Iraq except that now the terrorists are blowing themselves up in Iraq instead of NY and Virginia. And still fewer soldiers have been killed than unarmed people killed on 911. But my biggest disappointment is with the administration and Congress. They have been spending money like drunken sailors, in fact drunken sailors probably have a bit more restraint. That is in my view the thing that disgusts most republicans is that they can't learn to spend money within their means. Sure a war costs money, but 2.7 Trillion bucks, that's a lot of zeros.
EastStang

Postby ponyplayer » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:52 pm

Does the Clinton Library give any recognition to Monica, framed dress hanging or anything..................................
ponyplayer
All-American

Postby SMUguy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:01 pm

:lol: :lol:
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:41 pm

ponyplayer wrote:Does the Clinton Library give any recognition to Monica, framed dress hanging or anything..................................

I have not visited yet but there supposedly is a section that addresses the incident and impeachement. Don't think the dress made it but I am sure there are plenty more around town if they need one.
mrydel

Postby Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:32 pm

Maybe they set up a cigar shop inside?
Peruna_Ate_My_Rolex
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Around the Hilltop