PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jack's Pub is no mas!

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:42 pm

Baseball at SMU is a pipedream, but the image of a small baseball park with downtown visible beyond the outfield is a great one. If they were competitive, they could sell out every game. a short series against UT would be the hottest ticket in town.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:24 pm

Blog, do you have that map that you speak of?
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Football Blog » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:58 am

Gaedeke is still leasing the Executive Tower at 75 and Yale, so did they actually sell it? I can confirm SMu has space there.

As for a map, I don't have a good one, but search the SMU website for "Master Plan" and compare that to google maps.

BTW, have you ever searched DCAD for SMU? School owns a lot of houses in UP.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Eddie P » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:08 pm

Gaedeke retained the leasing and management of the building.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby Dutch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:04 pm

what seems to be lost in all this, is that jacks is gone. finally. that place was decent at best back in it's day, but lately had attracted the wrong element to the area (i.e. the shooting last spring and several other incadents). good riddence.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:24 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:I had heard there was a long term plan to move most administration functions adjacent, but off campus, such as the other side of 75.

If that were so, why did they move everything from Perkins Admin to the new Blanton Building..I kinda think that plan got nixed
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby RE Tycoon » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:39 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the inner workings of SMU that don't have interactions with students are in that building, i.e accoutning, legal and the famed Peruna Properties. Again, I'm not sure which if any of those I listed are in the building, but a few years back before I graduated, I made a delivery to that buliding and the top few floors were SMU...I think my delivery had something to do with accounting.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:58 am

I confirmed SMU does own Expressway Towers. SMU owns the UA Cine property and the Ms. Baird's plant and some stuff around it. We knew that.

Things I did not know:

SMU has under contract the properties at 6200 and 6210 Central Expressway, which is right at Yale and Central.

SMU bought Park Cities Plaza, which has the bookstore and La Madeleine.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Ode to Jack's pub

Postby RodeoDC » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:46 pm

Friends, Jack's holds many memories for me...memories of wine, women and song. Nights that begin in the Pub and ended only when I was awoken by the screaming of FWPD sirens, or in a TCU dorm room by the heavy breathing of yet another Frogget , or better yet, on the banks of the Trinity River with mud in my hair and the sweet scent of an lady Mustang in my nostrils.

Whatever the case, Jack's was were it all started. And it's a damn shame it's doors are now closed. All of us should pause for a moment and remember those times. Only the memories remain.
RodeoDC

Postby hunters » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:34 am

it def looks like the school will get the bush library (which will have a full parking lot of broke protesters everyday) but if it somehow doesn't, a baseball field should fill that void nicely.
go smu.
hunters
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyExpress » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:51 am

You have to be broke to protest something?

I hate baseball with metal bats, but I'd much rather see a baseball field (and team) at SMU.
PonyExpress
Junior Varsity

Postby hunters » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:36 am

i apologize, i just meant that bush has so many protestors, that when we get the library, they will do nothing but clutter the parking lot with their problems- and-or requests.-
go smu.
hunters
Junior Varsity

Postby Lamont_Cranston » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:39 am

hunters wrote:i apologize, i just meant that bush has so many protestors, that when we get the library, they will do nothing but clutter the parking lot with their problems- and-or requests.-
...and from time to time, the media will be there. Any publicity for SMU is good publicity. You can hear the reporters now: "At the Bush Library, on the campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, protestors gathered to (fill in the blank)..." ;)
"37"
Lamont_Cranston
Junior Varsity

Postby hunters » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:45 am

..and from time to time, the media will be there. Any publicity for SMU is good publicity. You can hear the reporters now: "At the Bush Library, on the campus of Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, protestors gathered to (fill in the blank)..." Wink

that's why i occasionally think a baseball field might be the better way to go, i mean the clinton library in little rock hasn't been some mecca for his fans. It seems like the bush2 library might be worse press for the school when we are trying to shed the image of big business. I'm definately willing to hear all sides.
go smu.
hunters
Junior Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:57 am

If you cannot see that a presidential library will give more press coverage and PRESTIGUE and be more beneficial to SMU than another probably unsuccessful sports team (and two more useless women's sports for title IX- thanks feminists and liberals) than you should not be making any decision about anything anywhere.
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop