PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

For All You Daily Campus Naysayers...

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Spaz » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:25 am

Well, golly gee, thanks High School Kid!!
Did it ever occur to YOU that we might be ragging on the Daily Campus in general and not just aushous??
Now get back to work, I've sure you've got a deadline on your groundbreaking expose on cafeteria food.
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:50 pm

Spaz wrote:Well, golly gee, thanks High School Kid!!
Did it ever occur to YOU that we might be ragging on the Daily Campus in general and not just aushous??
Now get back to work, I've sure you've got a deadline on your groundbreaking expose on cafeteria food.

Real funny, but we leave the cafeteria food alone. We can afford to when our football team goes to the state finals and our baseball team is preparing to defend a state championship.

I read your (as in, the rest of PF's) comments and the general feel I got was that you were ragging on Aus10toHous10's comments regarding the Peruna editorial. Other times I have seen y'all rag on the DC in general, but not in this thread. You have the right to rag on the DC if you do not feel they are covering a story adequately with the resources they have, but to get onto a college kid for saying something about an editorial he had no control over is a low blow.
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby covok48 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:50 pm

aus10fromhous10,

Calling people out by name won't make them listen or respect you any more, and only makes you look foolish by acting so unprofessional in your response to a little criticism.

When I questioned validity of the article posted concerning that SMU spent too much on athletics (football in particular) at the expense of other programs (in which the article had no hard numbers to back up their points), I got this reply on the other thread:

"You have to remember though, the whole purpose of a paper is free speech. If it is somebody's opinion or attitude that SMU is spending too much money on sports, then that is their thing and of course, you are free to disagree with them. Yes, it would have helped if the author included actual dollar amounts, but regardless, that person is free to think what he wants. Also, that article was written by a student who is not actually on our staff."

Free speech comes with some responsibility too. If you print and article that has no financial figures or percentages (ie details) on what % of SMU's income goes to the athletic program, or even how much the athletic budget is (much less how its distributed) then the "freedom of speech" becomes nothing more than a mindless uninformed rambling that belongs on a blog, not in the paper.

By printing the article, defending the article, taking the critcism personally, and then going after people who disagree with you, only tells me that such an article reflects the opinion of the DC as a whole (which of course doesn't fare well here on ponyfans).
---------------

"If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much and winning isn't very exciting." -- [deleted] Vermeil
covok48
Junior Varsity

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:57 pm

I'm glad you've become a champion for responsible free speech, hopefully that will translate into more responsible programs and protests by YCT.
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:28 pm

Trying to start a political argument to deflect valid criticism of a worthless article in the DC. Way to represent the integrity of the paper. And you wonder why everyone rags on it all the time.... :roll:
couch 'em

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:33 pm

CalallenStang wrote:Real funny, but we leave the cafeteria food alone. We can afford to when our football team goes to the state finals and our baseball team is preparing to defend a state championship.

I read your (as in, the rest of PF's) comments and the general feel I got was that you were ragging on Aus10toHous10's comments regarding the Peruna editorial. Other times I have seen y'all rag on the DC in general, but not in this thread. You have the right to rag on the DC if you do not feel they are covering a story adequately with the resources they have, but to get onto a college kid for saying something about an editorial he had no control over is a low blow.

If you'll notice, aus10 said that he found the response to the article funny - that is what people are getting on to him about.

I guess if someone murders your mother, and I say that your crying about it is funny, you have no right to complain because I was not involved in the killing?
couch 'em

Postby blkjack34 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:43 pm

Oh boy, what have I started....I think my simple defense of the paper in "thank goodness for the daily campus" might have sparked this...I don't think this argument will ever end. There will always be people who don't like what we do and that is all part of having a newspaper. Im pretty sure the DMN has some strong critics as well. I think we are starting to go in a circle here and this argument has become personal for people...Nothing we do will make everybody happy and thats just dandy.
blkjack34
Recruit

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:51 pm

couch 'em wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:Real funny, but we leave the cafeteria food alone. We can afford to when our football team goes to the state finals and our baseball team is preparing to defend a state championship.

If you'll notice, aus10 said that he found the response to the article funny - that is what people are getting on to him about.

I guess if someone murders your mother, and I say that your crying about it is funny, you have no right to complain because I was not involved in the killing?

I think we are reading the thread differently. I see that he said he found the response funny, but then I also see posts like this one...by you:

Well you were defending yourself pretty well until this post. "Let's say something completely idiotic in the Ed Board section and see how many people we can [deleted] off! Yeah, we're a high quality paper!" That is the kind of thing that causes the massive hate everyone has for the DC.

That associates him with the editorial, which he had previously stated he had nothing to do with. Unless, of course, that is not what you meant, in which case I fail to see the point of your post.
CalallenStang

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:41 pm

His response about finding it funny is tacit support, and thus associates it with him.
couch 'em

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:46 pm

couch 'em wrote:His response about finding it funny is tacit support, and thus associates it with him.

I guess if you look at his response that way, it would associate it with him, but I really don't see anything supportive of the editorial in just "finding it funny." Why don't we ask him?

I can't say I want to get rid of Peruna, but it was pretty funny seeing the onslaught of Mustang Bandsmen and Bandswomen (Bandspeople?) who were irriate about the idea of bucking the Peruna tradition.

The way I read that, it sounds like he does not support the opinion but he did find the response of the staunch opponents to be funny. Perhaps you read it a different way. To each their own.
CalallenStang

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:55 pm

All this argument about what I meant in my post...I'm flattered:

let's settle this.

Ok, I looked up the Ed Board about getting rid of Peruna. Saw when it was written and made sure it was written before I was on Ed Board. Saw the feedback from an large group of Mustang banders who were mad that Ed Board wanted to get rid Peruna. I thought their responses were funny.

Any questions?
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:57 pm

what was funny about their responses?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:19 pm

From the online feedback about the getting rid of Peruna Ed Board:

"As far as size goes, you should know that Peruna has more balls than you ever will."

"I suppose next that we should change our fight song to "Generic College Fight Song #5""

"If you really wanted to be a Red Raider, go to Lubbock."

"First off, SMU doesn't even HAVE police officers on horseback, much less ones named Peruna."

"I don't think I'd feel pride for SMU by whispering our mascot's name in the ear of the WRONG BREED OF HORSE, or an animal that isn't our mascot altogether."

"I challenge anyone on the SMU editorial board to have the guts to run with Peruna across the turf at Ford Stadium and be able to keep your footing. I would place even money that any one of you would fall flat on your face before you reached the 20-yd. line! That 'little pony' also kicks pretty good, too. I've seen several of her handlers sport bruises after keeping her on the sideline"

I'm sorry, but that's funny stuff
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:33 pm

I find the responses on this thread funny.
Eddie P
Heisman

Postby Spaz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:38 pm

aus10fromhous10 wrote:"As far as size goes, you should know that Peruna has more balls than you ever will."

Ok, now THAT'S funny
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop