PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The daily campus addresses the sports coverage

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The daily campus addresses the sports coverage

Postby that's great raplh » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:42 pm

http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/dis ... 722c6da55f

So, think you know about sports?

By Garrett Haake, Sports Editor, and Kate Murphy, Associate Sports Editor
January 25, 2006

Sports are all about change. Seniors get drafted, professionals get traded, coaches play musical chairs every off-season and track teams vanish overnight. Sports journalism works the same way.

This ain’t your grandma’s sports page anymore.

Last Thursday brought a changing of the guard here at The Daily Campus. With only minimal newspaper experience and an unimpeachable record as a sports fan (try and guess why my name looks familiar in print), I became the new sports editor.

My first action was to raid the broadcast department and hire Kate Murphy to be my associate sports editor. Kate is a newspaper pro and a sports nut. She knows more about football than any one person ought to. Think John Madden with a ponytail.

Our mission this semester is to bring you SMU sports coverage like no one else can. We want to do away with Associated Press stories you can read anywhere and focus instead on the stories that happen right here on the Hilltop.

We plan to expand coverage of varsity and club sports and also cover athletics as it affects the rest of us. Intramural coverage, profiles and in-depth feature stories are all in the works, so keep reading.

Our success, however, depends on you. The DC and the sports department in particular are in constant need of writers to cover everything from basketball to wakeboarding.

Naturally we seek experienced writers, but, just as importantly, we need people who simply know sports.

Have you ever missed a class to watch SportsCenter for a second time? Do you carry your basketball shoes around with you, just in case? If so, I’m talking to you now.

So you think you know something about sports? Prove it. Come write for us.

Drop by the DC office upstairs at Hughes-Trigg or send us an e-mail telling us your interest in sports and your experience level. We look forward to hearing from you.

You can reach Garrett Haake at ghaake@smu.edu and Kate Murphy at kmurphy@smu.edu.
that's great raplh
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:20 pm

If posts keep popping up about The Daily Campus, the paper is gonna start needing its own Message Board on pf!
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:45 am

I doubt it, TGR just wishes he was still in school so he checks it daily...
Pony_Fan

Postby Lefty » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:46 am

Pony_Fan wrote:I doubt it, TGR just wishes he was still in school ....
So do I -- beats the hell out of working for a living. I don't know about you, but I had waaaaaaaaaaay too much fun when I was in school. I'm right there with TGR.
Lefty
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:47 am

Lefty wrote:
Pony_Fan wrote:I doubt it, TGR just wishes he was still in school ....
So do I -- beats the hell out of working for a living. I don't know about you, but I had waaaaaaaaaaay too much fun when I was in school. I'm right there with TGR.

Yes, that is no brainer. Best time of my life...enjoy it kids while it lasts.
Pony_Fan

Postby that's great raplh » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:26 pm

dude - in my spare time i am building a time machine - i am going to go back in time and give myself a talking to...
that's great raplh

Postby Lamont_Cranston » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:24 am

that's great raplh wrote:dude - in my spare time i am building a time machine - i am going to go back in time and give myself a talking to...
When it's perfected, please go back and kill Sherwood Blount & everyone else involved in the payroll scam BEFORE it happened!
"37"
Lamont_Cranston
Junior Varsity

Postby abezontar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:34 am

no, just tell them that the NCAA is serious so that when we get busted the first time they actually clean up the act, do you really want to give up the pony express?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MrMustang1965 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:17 pm

abezontar wrote:no, just tell them that the NCAA is serious so that when we get busted the first time they actually clean up the act, do you really want to give up the pony express?
Unfortunately, changing one scenario for another will have its consequences. Don't mess with time travel.
MrMustang1965

Postby that's great raplh » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:45 am

don't talk to me about time travel i have a degree from SMU
that's great raplh

Postby McClown27 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:35 am

Think John Madden with a ponytail? Boy, you can tell that guy is smooth with the ladies.
Willis to slot receiver!
McClown27
Heisman

Return to Around the Hilltop