PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Copeland to Retire

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Copeland to Retire

Postby SMUltimedia » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:14 pm

DMN Reports Copeland will call it quits May 31.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 71b5a.html
SMUltimedia
Junior Varsity

Postby Dutch » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:15 pm

great news. now the search begins for someone to take us to the next level. one unnerving thing is that AD's like to make their mark on schools and bring in their own coaches. i'm not jumping the gun, just stating the fact that they do this all over the nation, and especially w/ revenue sports.

hopefully it will be someone who likes the recent improvement in football and basketball (albeit minor) and will support the current staff and make improvements where necessary.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hunters » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:11 pm

who are some of the canidates
go smu.
hunters
Junior Varsity

Postby Hoss » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:14 pm

I would think that with Ford Stadium in place, and with the improvement shown this year by the football team, the AD job will be a hell of a lot more appealing this time than it was the last time SMU had to hire one.
Hoss
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:23 pm

Prayer works! :D

Saw Copeland at the Signing Event yesterday at the Radisson and he didn't look too happy. In fact, he looked flat out awful.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

Now it's time to bring in someone who can take SMU to the next level!
MrMustang1965
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoss » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:36 pm

Hmmm .... what a gracious send-off, MM65. Nothing like wishing him sell in his retirement, huh? He's not perfect -- none of us is. But he's a good guy, and I like him personally. Are there things I would like to have seen done differently? Sure, and that's probably the case for all of us. I'm all about discussing possible replacement candidates, but there's no need to throw a punch at the guy on his way out the door.
Good luck in your retirement, Jim.
Hoss
All-American

Postby MrMustang1965 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:13 pm

Hoss wrote:Hmmm .... what a gracious send-off, MM65. Nothing like wishing him sell in his retirement, huh? He's not perfect -- none of us is. But he's a good guy, and I like him personally. Are there things I would like to have seen done differently? Sure, and that's probably the case for all of us. I'm all about discussing possible replacement candidates, but there's no need to throw a punch at the guy on his way out the door.
Copeland can't get off The Hilltop fast enough for me. I'm sure there are others who will agree. Seems like there were a lot of folks calling for his head (along with other athletic officials) not too long ago. Short memory span? I don't know about the rest of ya'll but I'm ready to see someone come to SMU who can kick some major butt as AD! As for Copeland, I'm sure he'll do just fine retiring to his nice little bungalow on the East Coast. Hasta la vista, Jim!
MrMustang1965

Postby Spaz » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:36 pm

Hoss wrote:Hmmm .... what a gracious send-off, MM65. Nothing like wishing him sell in his retirement, huh? He's not perfect -- none of us is. But he's a good guy, and I like him personally. Are there things I would like to have seen done differently? Sure, and that's probably the case for all of us. I'm all about discussing possible replacement candidates, but there's no need to throw a punch at the guy on his way out the door.

Copeland was a [deleted]. I've been involved in multiple attempts to bring more people to games that were brought in front of Copeland PERSONALLY. Each time he kinda shook his head and said "Whatever."
The guy's an idiot and self-centered. As far as I can tell, all he ever cared about was getting a paycheck.
What a loser, get out of her man
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:57 pm

Personally, I wish him well and hope that he will have a happy retirement and many healthy years ahead of him. I agree its time for some new blood and new energy in that position, but I won't kick him in the butt on his way out the door.
EastStang

Postby RE Tycoon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:07 pm

Later Copeland, should have been gone before I ever heard of SMU.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUltimedia » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:18 pm

I wonder if Bennett's recent contract extension is related to this as well?

Maybe Copeland protecting him against a new AD who might want to switch things up...[/quote]
SMUltimedia
Junior Varsity

Copeland

Postby Boston Pony » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:05 am

I thought the article in the DMN was well put....some great accomplishments (reputation within the university, fundraising, and overall athletic success) and some tremendous unfullfilled challenges (lack of success in rev sports & questionable hires in those sports). For the future, as we should all focus on, it would be great to get someone who can drive the grow in rev sports while maintaining a positive relationship within the college community. College sports is a business that can bring honor to our school or as we all know dishonor. Let's pray Dr. Turner & the Board make the right decision
Boston Pony
Varsity

Postby Spaz » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:46 am

I don't get why everyone seems to be tip-toeing around this subject. Great overall athletic success? Great reputation withing the uni? WHAT? C'mon people, if that's what you really think, fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But if you're trying to save feelings, my question is why?
This is a message board...
It's MADE for people to post pseudo anonymously about stuff like this!!
WHERE'S MY KETCHUP?!?!?!
Spaz
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:30 am

Spaz wrote:What a loser, get out of her man

Good heavens. What woman's man is Copeland in?
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Otto » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:27 pm

SMUltimedia wrote:I wonder if Bennett's recent contract extension is related to this as well?

Maybe Copeland protecting him against a new AD who might want to switch things up...
No way. It was a recruiting move all the way. The two are not related in any way, I would bet.
Otto
Heisman

Next

Return to Around the Hilltop