PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

At the gentle urging of Bobby Sharpe, I return...

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

At the gentle urging of Bobby Sharpe, I return...

Postby RodeoDC » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:30 pm

My absence from the Pony Web is over, friends. For 4 long years, I have lived and labored here in the nation's capitol, though never once forgetting my former life on the Hilltop.

Alas, old friend/mentor Bobby Sharpe, he of the Spirit Shop, suddenly contacted me a few nights ago, and told me of the news of Copeland's demise. At this, that mad glint returned to my eyes, and I felt the blood rekindled in my veins as thoughts of being the preiminent antagonist on the Hilltop suddenly coarsed to and from my brain and soul. So, I return, never to leave again.

Thoughts: Copeland's reign brought us nothing but heartache in the gym and on the gridiron. Our FB and BBall programs won't miss him. However, I must confess that I met him personally during my time in the program, and he was the genuine article, and he certainly desired to turn around the big ticket programs. But, alas, he could not.

His ultimate inability to return us to our old glorious past might not have been his fault, anyway. Afterall, as a nameless athletic genius on the Hilltop once instructed me, "You can't make chicken salad out of [deleted]." Truer words were never spoken.

So, as my Mustang pride now bubbles inside me, I am inclined to seek answers that will return us to our former FB glory. I can think of only one, real option...an option that will return us quickly to the top. That is this: cash payments, subsidized "boost girls", on-site narcotical assistance centers, and automated curriculum completion policies...all of this given by the University to our beloved football team.

I ask all of you to ask yourselves this question: What price will you pay to return us to our former glory? Short of giving your own life, your answer to that question should be "anything."
RodeoDC

Postby BUS » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:39 pm

Your still crazy and funny.

It is good to read you posts again.

Who would you pick to be the Next AD.. NOT YOURSELF.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Bus' AD question

Postby RodeoDC » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:25 pm

Bus, I remember you well, Mister. Glad to be back.

I ain't an expert on picking NCAA Div. 1 athletic directors. I am, however, an expert on athletic greatness, and speaking from that position, here is my observation of the situation at hand.

First, this Athletic program is doing pretty well, minus the FB program and the men's hoops (even it's coming along). So, it would appear to me that we don't need to kill an ant with a sledge hammer - we don't need to have someone come in here and blow up the program and start over. The soccer program is great. The swimming, same thing. Golf is good. Etc.

What we need is a football guy who can return us to glory, someone who knows college football inside out, who will make his biggest impact on the activities at Ford Stadium. Leave Hyndman and Rompola and Old Man Tubbs the hell alone. They're doing fine. What we need is a tutor for Bennett. Hell, I don't know if Bennett is the answer at all. Ain't paid much attention since his 0-fer a couple of seasons back. But, he's got pedigree (Kstate), and it would seem he just needs an AD willing to back him and do ANYTHING to get the program back up on its feet.

To that end, I'd say how about a Dallas-ite like old Charlie Waters? I know we looked at him for head coach a couple of times in the last 10 years. Why the heck not bring him in as AD? He's a goddang SB champ - he'd know to leave the rest of the program alone (minus the requisite oversight) and concentrate hardest on Bennett's boys. And, he's a damn winner, someone who knows how to jumpstart things.

That's my two cents. If you don't like it, good riddance.
RodeoDC

Postby BUS » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:38 pm

Interesting.

U need to follow the stangs again. Starting this PAST year.

The o-10 year took some out. Bennett HAd to do that. If we never started red shirting we could not grow some of our reaches. Reaches in recruiting.

SMU won 5 games, three against Bowl teams and the only loss for Tarrant County University.

With 14 more points I think we would have been 7-4.

This team is FUN to watch.

This was my first year to get out of the Luxury Box. The crowd was loud and the team was focused on the game.

It's time for you to pay more attention.

Get it.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby The Stampede » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:17 pm

This thread brings me back to the old MustangManiacs days...
"Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."
The Stampede
Junior Varsity

Postby NavyCrimson » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:14 pm

Welcome back for sure!!! :wink:
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby RE Tycoon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:11 pm

The Stampede wrote:This thread brings me back to the old MustangManiacs days...

I've all but forgtten about good 'ole Mustangmaniacs.com. Doe anyone know the story behind it's demise. I remember when PonyFans had no traffic and everyone was over at the other site. Can't say that I miss it though.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: Bus' AD question

Postby MrMustang1965 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:13 pm

RodeoDC wrote:To that end, I'd say how about a Dallas-ite like old Charlie Waters? I know we looked at him for head coach a couple of times in the last 10 years. Why the heck not bring him in as AD? He's a goddang SB champ - he'd know to leave the rest of the program alone (minus the requisite oversight) and concentrate hardest on Bennett's boys. And, he's a damn winner, someone who knows how to jumpstart things.
First, welcome back. Second, Charlie H20 has been discussed ad infinitum in recent months. Lots of folks around here don't think he's the answer.
MrMustang1965

Return to Around the Hilltop